Anyone Ever Take Out One Of Your Antique Machines For A Nostalgic Hunt?

John-Edmonton

Elite Member

Used the Garrett Master Hunter CX PLUS for my last couple of snow hill hunts. I made a camo cover for it years ago to help keep the batteries warm. It was a great machine during it's time...........came out at about 1990. What's really cool about it, is that it is both digital and analog. The meter as shown above is digital ( no needle like previous CX Models ) and the electronics are analog. If you have ever used an older machine with analog audio, you will remember it's great abilities to help separate junk from good targets. You can adjust both ferrous and non-ferrous discrimination with individual knobs. It has a true all metal mode like the AT MAX and AT Gold and also a threshold adjustment. It uses audio modulation for depth......deeper targets are quieter then surface.

I hunted in true all metal mode in the snow. It still gives you a probable target in this mode.The ID depth is very accurate. The target ID is just about the same as on other machines due to our crappy nickel plated steel clad. The depth is limited.....not as good as today's machines. The machine is balanced, and can actually be balanced on two fingers and coil sweeps can be done using your wrist action instead of your shoulder. Maybe a good ergonomic solution for someone with a rotator cuff injury.

I hunted for a little over 2 hours on a few hills and did manage some goodies as shown below......Please snow, go away! :snowing:

Attachments

• cx2.jpg
    cx2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 177

Used the Garrett Master Hunter CX PLUS for my last couple of snow hill hunts. I made a camo cover for it years ago to help keep the batteries warm. It was a great machine during it's time...........came out at about 1990. What's really cool about it, is that it is both digital and analog. The meter as shown above is digital ( no needle like previous CX Models ) and the electronics are analog. If you have ever used an older machine with analog audio, you will remember it's great abilities to help separate junk from good targets. You can adjust both ferrous and non-ferrous discrimination with individual knobs. It has a true all metal mode like the AT MAX and AT Gold and also a threshold adjustment. It uses audio modulation for depth......deeper targets are quieter then surface.

I hunted in true all metal mode in the snow. It still gives you a probable target in this mode.The ID depth is very accurate. The target ID is just about the same as on other machines due to our crappy nickel plated steel clad. The depth is limited.....not as good as today's machines. The machine is balanced, and can actually be balanced on two fingers and coil sweeps can be done using your wrist action instead of your shoulder. Maybe a good ergonomic solution for someone with a rotator cuff injury.

I hunted for a little over 2 hours on a few hills and did manage some goodies as shown below......Please snow, go away! :snowing:

You just reminded me I haven’t used my Garrett Freedom Ace Plus in a while. Last time I used it I got a Walker, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the real old ones come with directions for hunting for gold veins in caves. Still need to mod my whites battery connections and see what she will do on coins. Back then the shafts were steel with steel bolts. And bolts going into the coils:lol:

I use my fisher 1266 xb all the time with sniper coil to pull coins in heavy trash
Hard to beat

I use my fisher 1266 xb all the time with sniper coil to pull coins in heavy trash
Hard to beat

Fisher was really cranking out a lot of detectors back then. That 1266 xb was another great analog, simple turn on and go machine. Below is a link to a field test in Lost Treasure Magazine.

https://www.losttreasure.com/Home/FieldTestDetail/6007

It too had 2 different controls to set the discrimination like the Master Hunter!

Attachments

• fisher.jpg
    fisher.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 166
I remember getting a master hunter and found quite a bit of relics with it and coins
I use to go to garland and talk to Charles when he was there my Father worked for SciCom a few doors down from factory and spent a lot of time there.
And it was fun checking out the new machines

"Anyone Ever Take Out One Of Your Antique Machines For A Nostalgic Hunt?"

She would get pissed if I put it that way.....:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom