Securing AT Pro control box mod?

RebelRouser

Hi all. I'm considering doing this mod to better secure my control box to the shaft. I've read numerous complaints of the control box breaking off. I mainly hunt in the woods and often have to pack my detector in, so that tends to be a little rough on it. Will removing/replacing the two speaker screws affect the waterproof ability any? Does anyone know what diameter pipe wall strap do I need? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 372
That is an awesome mod, looking forward to more replies.. A screw right through the center into the shaft might be good too..

Looks like you could have two..

<°)))>{

That looks like a nice heavy duty mod! I imagine it would affect the waterproofing just because the screws are backed out and there is probably a slight chance for water to seep in since they are no longer directly seated. Maybe silicone under and a dab on top of the pipe strap around the screw holes might help seal it good again?

That looks like a nice heavy duty mod! I imagine it would affect the waterproofing just because the screws are backed out and there is probably a slight chance for water to seep in since they are no longer directly seated. Maybe silicone under and a dab on top of the pipe strap around the screw holes might help seal it good again?

It might be solid plastic the screw is going into, with no hole all the way into it, at least that's what I was thinking...

<°)))>{

It might be solid plastic the screw is going into, with no hole all the way into it, at least that's what I was thinking...

<°)))>{

That does seem to be right. Not long ago someone broke theirs off and I think the solid screw casings came off with the screws away from the other control box pieces. I think it was like 2 months ago in the About Detectors heading. I'll see if I can find that thread...

I'm actually referring to the screws on the speaker cover. At the end of the post you linked someone did a similar mod, but wasn't sure if it was still waterproof.

Oh, I see now. I have no clue. The screw holes may be solid under the speaker cover, meaning water couldn't get past them even if filled - like the arm screw holes. Obviously water can get all within the speaker cover without issue, so I'm betting the speaker screw holes are solid under as well.

Here's a nude pic detached from the arm before you go ripping it off...

Last edited:
I did a similar thing, I used the original screws, a bit of electrical tape underneath to make it snug, don't know how waterproof it is now though!

Attachments

• IMG_1437.jpg
    IMG_1437.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 303
I did a similar thing, I used the original screws, a bit of electrical tape underneath to make it snug, don't know how waterproof it is now though!

Yes, I saw that. Thanks for the reply. I purchased this for water hunting. So I want to keep it waterproof. The ATP seems like a decent machine performance wise. But I am not sure about durability. I really dislike the way the cam locks operate with the outer rings coming off the ends. The battery holder is very fragile. Also I feel like I'm doing damage every time I attach or remove the headphone/coil connectors. Great customer service though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom