Damn you VLF guys...

S.S.Tupperware

Elite Member
Ok I was reading some comments about leaving your trash on the beach, so it got me thinkin. I use a PI mostly at the beach so i dig a good bit of iron and crap, and I haul it out. But what about youse vlf'ers, you have disc. so you don't dig a lot of trash, or as much. This said wouldn't you passing on a signal, be the same as leaving your trash in the hole. I do rebury some distinct pieces of junk hoop earrings and such to monitor the activity since they are easily recognizable to me... some times there still around for months and sometimes gone quickly. Not trying to stir the pot, but just wondering your thoughts on passing over something and not getting it off the beach.

There's no way I'd go around digging every single signal I heard. Our hobby would be jeopardy if we all went around digging up every target. :P Of course you're on the beach so that's a bit different.

If I determine I am going to dig the target and I do it's going in my bag and out. If I got fooled by a heavy or large piece or squashed can I will put it in a garbage container if one is nearby. Otherwise, I will place it on a distinct location and throw it away on my way out.

thats why i chose a VLF detector...so i wouldn't be diggin up every bottlecap on the planet. cherry picking is nice :pirate:

Ok I was reading some comments about leaving your trash on the beach, so it got me thinkin. I use a PI mostly at the beach so i dig a good bit of iron and crap, and I haul it out. But what about youse vlf'ers, you have disc. so you don't dig a lot of trash, or as much. This said wouldn't you passing on a signal, be the same as leaving your trash in the hole. I do rebury some distinct pieces of junk hoop earrings and such to monitor the activity since they are easily recognizable to me... some times there still around for months and sometimes gone quickly. Not trying to stir the pot, but just wondering your thoughts on passing over something and not getting it off the beach.

Warning to all vlf users, stay off this guys private beaches. Your not cleaning it enough for him to find only good stuff with his mighty PI. Jeez... :p

Ya'll welcome to come hunt MY beaches, there's enough loot to go around. I was just wondering what you guys thought.

That's a perk of the VLF over PI, we can't go as deep but we can hit more quality targets. If I dig it, it goes, but it's not my responsibility to dig every trash target I come across and more often than not if I have discrimination on I'm not gonna know it was there anyway.

If I dig it, I haul it out. I am still learning the GT but I don't use the disc or notch although sometimes I might mess around with it to see how it works.

Shouldn't the main complaint be directed to the folks that left the trash in the first place?

Same here, I only throw out what I dig. If my detector doesn't pick it up I don't dig it. I notch out iron so I never dig it.

Is it true though that PI goes deeper so if your using VLF you may miss some deep objects junk or good? The way they replenish sand here and without beach erosion, the good stuff appears to be buried under feet of sand I can imagine?

This isn't a debate of which is deeper. and i agree it is the people who threw it out in the first place. but the point I'm makin is some people who act holier than thou about picking up the trash yet won't dig trash signals and haul it out. i hunt with my DFX in the fluff and skip over all kinds of targets, usually 24 vdi which is always a pull tag, I did find a ring recently that is a true 24.

I always pick up trash at the beach, but it seems most of it is plastic not metallic. I think once I start detecting, I will not toss the junk back in, just make it good habit to toss it in the trash can.

Fortunately the beaches I hunt are realatively clean as they are mostly residential with few public accesses and are heavily hunted. The downside to that is I can go long periods without getting a signal and 90% of the time, if I do get a signal it's trash.

S.S., I know you are familiar with the beaches here and I'm sure you've hunted Melbourne. I've hit that beach a couple times and I have to say that it is by far the trashiest beach I've been on. Daytona with all the biker events and spring breakers wasn't as trashy as Melbourne.

I prefer to hunt south of Sebastian Inlet. I may not find much worth keeping but I also don't find much trash and there is always a slim chance of finding Spanish gold/silver.

Other than the GT's iron mask, I don't disc at all. So if I get a signal I dig it and if it's trash, I haul it out. I always check where I can tell someone has dug just incase they missed something.

Which is why I use an excal. Are you saying that I should dig the nulls just to clean the beach for the PI guys. Do you dig all your double beeps? I bet!

No i don't dig signals sometimes... I've gotten pretty good with the DF. Bill I will be in touch I will be down your way beginning of Feb, and lookin to get a few shirts done.

Its all about cherry picking and making the most of the time we have not digging, but digging quality targets. Lets get real... if your PI had disc you'd be using it. Its not about digging up as much trash as we can just to carry it off. I dig my share and i carry it off... be it beach, field, park or woods just because its the right thing to do. Depth does come into play... the deeper you go the larger the targets and obviously more targets will pass under the coil. There would be no way i could hunt in a park digging that much stuff... and lets not even talk about the amount of holes which could be obvious to grounds keepers. If im in a field... then i dig more targets closer to the iron range.

Dew

I also use a PI and know my pretty well.....where I hunt wet/water, 80-90% of the time, I don't dig the junk targets....I leave that for the next hunter....that's not my problem...in fact, That's the last thing on my mind! :grin: Same-thing when I use my IDX PRO on drysand, You can't dig what you can't hear, But on my beach, I dig everything.....'I like my beach clean'! ;) dewcon said it best....cherry picking....That's the name of the game! Very good subject to bring up SS, It's never talked about. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom