Need help IDing .22 caliber bullet

BlueHuntsCoins

Hi everyone! Found my first bullet in an old (mid-1800's) park in Chicago. I was able to measure it and it is a .22 caliber bullet but I'm trying to figure out if this is an old or a more modern one. Would love to hear your thoughts on this one. Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20200223_164348-01.jpg
    20200223_164348-01.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 438
  • 20200223_164356-01.jpg
    20200223_164356-01.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 441
You sure it’s a .22? I’ve shot just about every type of .22 and tore a bunch of them apart and never saw 1 like that. .25 auto maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve seen hundreds and hundreds of fired 22 bullets and more than that not fired. I, too, have never seen one like that.

It will be roughly like that after going thru barrel.

Voriax

No it won’t, I’ve seen hundreds of brands and types, fired, unfired and taken apart... this is a first for me at .22

How did you measure it?

Maybe a .22 muzzle loader but I’ve not seen them ever, or a .22 air soft.., I still sat .25auto or a mid measurement.

Show a pic with a micrometer or whatever

As others have said it doesn't look like a .22 the closest one I can think of is a Remington yellow jacket with that trununcated cone but it's a hollow point which this isn't. Than there is the Hornady.32 lead semi wad cutter for the .32 H&R magnum caliber but that one has more of a point and less blunt nose than this one. Use a calipers to measure diameter near the base and someone reloading scale that weighs in grains, not grams as with jewelry.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

I'll try to remeasure it again using calipers. Might probably take time since I don't own one but will get back as soon as I can with the exact measurements. Thanks everyone!

I'll try to remeasure it again using calipers. Might probably take time since I don't own one but will get back as soon as I can with the exact measurements. Thanks everyone!

You can get some decent calipers at Harbor Freight for not a whole lot of money. Other places, too, I’m sure.

No it won’t, I’ve seen hundreds of brands and types, fired, unfired and taken apart... this is a first for me at .22

Annoyingly hard to find proper pics, but that centre one is pretty much same.
Fired into water, btw

Voriax

Attachments

• bullet.jpg
    bullet.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 280
Annoyingly hard to find proper pics, but that centre one is pretty much same.
Fired into water, btw

Voriax

Duh.....I should have thought of that! Narrow minded military thinking....that a fired round has to strike an object (other than water).....lol!

Last edited:
Still it has a hollow base which don’t match the picture, i still think .25 auto

There is not a hollow base on that picture. I've been shooting for the majority of my life and I've seen a plenty of .22 rounds that look like that.

The one on the bottom/right looks like a match to this one...a .22 LR.

Attachments

• Winwith%20match%20with%20field%20findFNL.jpg
    Winwith%20match%20with%20field%20findFNL.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 265
There is not a hollow base on that picture. I've been shooting for the majority of my life and I've seen a plenty of .22 rounds that look like that.

Maybe my eyes are tricking me but the op looks like a hollow base to me... how was it measured though and Is he sure it’s .22?

Last edited:
Maybe my eyes are tricking me but the op looks like a hollow base to me... how was it measured though and Is he sure it’s .23?

+1

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Sorry it took me awhile guys. I had to wait for my caliper to be delivered from Amazon. And yep, I was mistaken, it wasn't a 22. I'm attaching the image of bullet with calipers. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200304-180034_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200304-180034_Gallery.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 209
Back
Top Bottom