• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Deep Silver Quarter VS Clad Quarter Detection

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
I read in another post where the discussion was about digging to a foot and finding a small rusty nail, which I have done more than I like to remember. It was said by someone that "Be assured that a silver quarter will ring up just as well" down that deep. I have personally never dug any kind of quarter any deeper than 8-9 inches in the 3 years I have detected and I can count those on 2 fingers.

Are 90% silvers really gonna hit as strong as a small rusty nail at 10-12 inches, and won't the deep clad quarters hit well compared to the tiny rusty nails?

Digging down that deep to only pull a small nail and never having found any quarters there ever, is wearisome to say the very least. I keep on trying, but.....

i was at the beach in dry sand with my Ace 250 and hit a solid dime signal. I dug down to 8 to 10 inches and my pinpointer picked up nothing/ I kept swinging and the signal stayed strong but nothing with the pinpointer. At 14 or so inches I decided it had to be a false signal because a 250 shouldnt pick up that deep and filled in the hole. An hour later I went back and still was picking up that dime signal. I finally found it at about 18 inches down!
Thought that deep it had to be old! NOPE! 2008 Dime. and on the stock coil too!

You have a couple things to think about...

First, an iron nail, though small, will rust and bleed out into the surrounding soil, thus creating a halo that makes the target appear much bigger than it really is.. Many of these targets will not be able to be seen by your coil after the soil has been moved slightly and the halo is broken...

Second, the ratio of quarters in the ground to nails in the ground has to be around 1/100000000000000000000000000000000000000000....

<*)))>{

You have a couple things to think about...

First, an iron nail, though small, will rust and bleed out into the surrounding soil, thus creating a halo that makes the target appear much bigger than it really is.. Many of these targets will not be able to be seen by your coil after the soil has been moved slightly and the halo is broken...

Second, the ratio of quarters in the ground to nails in the ground has to be around 1/100000000000000000000000000000000000000000....

<*)))>{

Is that ratio 1 quarter to every 10000000000000000000000000000000...rusty nail? or the other way around :lol:

Back
Top Bottom