purchasing a coin tumbler...

takman

I tried a couple DIY tumblers....but they didnt come out so well.

I'd like to purchase one, slight problem is that i live in greece...so i will have to order one.

I can buy a 110v from the states if need be, because i have a heavy duty 240v-110v transformer....

last season, i found 300 euros worth of coins on various beaches, and this year i plan going to more beaches, so im pretty sure i will have a lot of coins to clean.

Last time, i soaked them in vinegar...which worked ok, but left them a bit discolored...

suggestions/thoughts?

thanks

I use the harbor freight double rock tumbler. It works great. I use it with aquarium gravel, water and a squirt of simple green. I leave it tumble for about 12 hours. If you google harbor freight, you can usually get a 20% off coupon.

We just got our Harbor Freight double tumbler Friday night. Used it last night with the very same method stated above. We only tumbled for about 1 1/2 hrs. and everything is looking great so far ! Think we're going to love it !

i read all the reviews on both tumblers they sell....and really im a bit worried to buy it....

mostly because i live in greece, and if i need something shipped from the states, it usually takes a few weeks...

plus, theres not much here in the way of stores, so finding things is not easy.

Make your own

Have you thought of making your own, an electric motor of any sort, a belt drive and a cylinder. I'm sure you have the parts in your house right now. I might make one myself for heck of it, I dig lots of Euro as well.

I have a bucket with a little bit of sand
in the bottom. In the evening when I am watching
TV, I take the clad coins that I found that day
and rub them between my fingers with
sand.

I have been thinking about getting a coin tumbler
too, as sometimes when I find several coins
that need cleaning, my fingers start to get
sore.

Back
Top Bottom