Photographing coins?

mws_1984

Elite Member
What is the best way to photograph your coins? I really can't get a clear concise photo of an IH I just got. I've heard of people using magnifying glasses to do so. How do you do this technique.

Here is an example of a photo I have taken. I used the closeup setting. But even then you can't get the date off it. Should I be photographing thru a magnifying glass or something?

I have a Nikon Coolpix L110. Maybe someone can help me more. I'm not that literate with cameras.

Attachments

• DSCN1132.JPG
    DSCN1132.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 414
  • DSCN1159.JPG
    DSCN1159.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 326
  • DSCN1161.JPG
    DSCN1161.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 342
Any decent camera with a macro mode will work... just gotta make sure it focuses up close. Lots of people use flatbed scanners as well.

Gotta find the macro setting on your camera...it'll look like a tulip flower. That's for close up shots of little thingys!

Flatbed scanner

I'm going to edit this. I used to photograph coins before digital cameras came along. Having a macro function is very nice, albeit it needs to be mounted very stationary and use a cable release to trip the shutter. Basically the same thing can be accomplished with any digital camera that has a macro function. It it has the capability to connect a cable release then great. Otherwise you'll need to use a timer. When I photographed coins in the days before flatbed scanners came along I used a film camera with a bellows attachment and a macro lens. That way I was not having to adjust the tripod up or down to get the exact focus. The focus was accomplished via adjusting the bellows on the camera. The majority of the issues with photographic coins is the lighting. The best way to accomplish perfect lighting is with a light box. The camera, tabletop, coin, tripod, etc is housed in a big light box. They are easy to make. By using a light box you frequently don't have shadow issues with a flash popping off.

My preference nowadays is a flatbed scanner that can be picked up for less than $100. The lighting is always perfect and the focus is too - unless you are scanning a bent of mangled coin.

HH

Gotta find the macro setting on your camera...it'll look like a tulip flower. That's for close up shots of little thingys!

That actually is with the macro setting. Maybe I'm not setting it up right. But I had the lens so zoomed in it was hitting the desk. It seems odd to me that when you try to zoom in sometimes it moves the lens back a bit then forward a bit. It is only 15x zoom so that could be an issue too?

But how I do it is I had the coin on the desk in front of me and I hold the camera at an angle facing it. If I go and hold it straight over the top I find the shadow kills it even with the flash on. It may just take lots of experimenting.

So I don't take a picture thru a magnifying glass as I've seen others do?

That actually is with the macro setting. Maybe I'm not setting it up right. But I had the lens so zoomed in it was hitting the desk. It seems odd to me that when you try to zoom in sometimes it moves the lens back a bit then forward a bit. It is only 15x zoom so that could be an issue too?

But how I do it is I had the coin on the desk in front of me and I hold the camera at an angle facing it. If I go and hold it straight over the top I find the shadow kills it even with the flash on. It may just take lots of experimenting.

So I don't take a picture thru a magnifying glass as I've seen others do?

Having a macro function doesn't mean you can be 1 inch away. There still is this thing that is called minimum focus distance. You need to read your manual.

Lay a flashlight on the table so the light goes across the coin (turn flash OFF); holding the camera square to the coin (you will have lean on your elbows, holding the camera as if it was on a tripod); NO zoom; start about 8-10 inches away and press the shutter button half way and see if it will focus (sometimes a green light or beep will sound to let you know it focused) if it focusses you may try again a bit closer until the camera won't focus (now you know the minimum distance it will focus). Don't kill yourself trying to get extremely close; just make sure you are shooting at 2 meg or so and then you can crop and zoom closer (and adjust contrast, etc) with your photo processing program (photoshop, etc) You may want to adjust the distance the flashlight is from the coin so its not so 'hot' (overexposed on one side)
71lq1v.jpg

Use the macro feature, zoom the camera all the way out...put the camera closer to the item to be photo'd, can also put a magnifying glass in front of the coin and shoot...works great on bottles too when you want to get the pressed lettering to show:)

Having a macro function doesn't mean you can be 1 inch away. There still is this thing that is called minimum focus distance. You need to read your manual.

I just read it at the nikon site. Apparently, you CAN focus down to .4" inch using the macro and the zoom together when some "green glowing icon" is lit, whatever that means. The OP might understand.

My little canon a2000 can also focus down to .5" in macro, but the zoom can't be used.

It seems odd to me that when you try to zoom in sometimes it moves the lens back a bit then forward a bit

Heheh...that's called "autofocus"!! :lol:

Let's try this for you:
You have a large display screen on your camera. You should watch it when you're zooming in because it's showing you exactly what the camera is seeing. If your display is out of focus, so will the picture.

Move the camera in to frame the picture to your liking. Half-press the shutter, and this initiates autofocus (that's where your lens barrel moves back and forth). After it stops focusing, look at your display to see the image. If it's in focus, press the shutter the rest of the way to take the picture. If it's NOT in focus, then the camera couldn't focus at the distance you attempted, so move the camera back a tad and repeat as above.

Another thing you want to keep in mind is that your coin doesn't HAVE to fill the frame. You have a TWELVE MEGAPIXEL camera there, and that gives you a LOT of leeway.

Back the camera off until the coin is only taking up part of the frame, and then focus and shoot. In fact, it's possible you don't even need to use the macro at all - just use standard techniques to get a focused, well toned image.

Then take that 12 mp image into photoshop or whatever image editor you use, and crop the section with the coin in it to your liking. You'll see that you STILL end up with an image that's probably 2k pixels square!

If you want to post that picture to this forum using the uploader here, you'll still have to resize that picture so that it's no larger than 800 pixels on the largest edge.

And that's what I mean by a 12 mp camera giving you a wide range of latitude.

So just hack around with it, and you'll get the hang of it. :D

I just read it at the nikon site. Apparently, you CAN focus down to .4" inch using the macro and the zoom together when some "green glowing icon" is lit, whatever that means. The OP might understand.

My little canon a2000 can also focus down to .5" in macro, but the zoom can't be used.

Well good. That means the closest you can get and macro focus .4 inches.

Sometimes the pictures come out better if you don't get as close as possible. Most camera have at least 6MP resolution, so I picture taken form 8-18 inches could be cropped in an image editing program to just the coin and still have plenty of detail if you do it right. I use a free photo editing program called Gimp, but it has a learning curve almost as bad as Photoshop.

I crop it, and scale down the resolution to a highest side dimension of 600 pixels.

Their is a FAQ on this here:
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=3001

I use a tripod in addition to the macro/flash setting. The three skylights on my roof play havoc with indoor pictures!!!

Dusty

Last edited:
I use only natural light for my coin closeups, I set a stand in front of my picture window, use macro setting and NO flash, I go about 3 inches away, on every camera I have had you puch down on shutter button halfway and pictures focuses in. When it looks good and clear you puch shutter button the rest of the way to take the pic

I use only natural light for my coin closeups, I set a stand in front of my picture window, use macro setting and NO flash, I go about 3 inches away, on every camera I have had you puch down on shutter button halfway and pictures focuses in. When it looks good and clear you puch shutter button the rest of the way to take the pic

Exactly the same way I do it. My camera takes way better closeups outside in natural light then it ever would indoors.
Example:

Attachments

• 1940.jpg
    1940.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 326
Back
Top Bottom