Anchor button - military or civilian?

Good Luck Jack

Hi All,

Found this button in an old field - unfortunately it doesn't have a back to it. About the size of a quarter...in think a civilian Button but wanted to see what others thought...what do you guys think? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_2785.jpg
    IMG_2785.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 234
First off, I think your button is likely to be military, but which country, I'm not sure. That design is usually associated with naval reserve but was also used on the earliest of US Navy buttons. Chief Petty Officers used similar buttons until 1840. (Information obtained from Albert's and Tice's button books.). The British Navy used those buttons big time as well.

Thanks everyone! I wish I found the back of that button...I've heard others say on various anchor buttons that they were civilian buttons...still a cool button. Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone! I wish I found the back of that button...I've heard others say on various anchor buttons that they were civilian buttons...still a cool button. Thanks everyone!

The reason I lean toward it being military is because the back shows no signs of rust. Just about all the civilian fashion buttons had iron backs.

Back
Top Bottom