Is there a solution to the Excalibur battery pod charge connector?

beachdude

Elite Member
I am having so much trouble with the connector that connects the AC adapter to the Excal battery pods for charging. The connections break and I have soldered it twice already and it is broken again. Whether I use the metal nut thing on it or not the connection still breaks.

I am not the best solderer but still I am being very careful and yet it keeps breaking. Is there a solution I can use instead of using this charging connector?

A third party one that is better quality perhaps?

charger-adapter-excalibur-ikelite-styled.jpg

:popcorn:
I'll be watching this one...

Which part are you having to solder..... the prongs? There are prongs you can buy or get that will fit in the holes.... it think Ikelite even sells them. Then remove yours and add gator clips which would attach to the prongs. You can of course buy a new male adapter.... $75 on freebay and im sure ML sells um too. If its the single prong that goes into the male adaptor ..... just get another cheap ML charger.

Dew

it is the part that connects one of the prongs to the outer sleeve here:

ikelite.jpg

I am going to Mauritius in a few weeks and it looks like I am bringing a soldering iron unless I can get this thing to attach permanently.

If I had access to an electronics surplus store here (I am in South Africa now), I would fabricate something better and wire it directly into the charger leads, but I am pretty limited in what I can find down here.

I just looked at my charger, i had fixed mine too, actually swapped that ikelite connector for the ikelite on the machine. Anyway, i soldered my wires too but then put a nice big blob of epoxy on it to hold the metal part straight up, no issues since. NOTE, this is the connector for the charger, not the actual connector on the machne so it does not have to be waterproof. It firms it up so it won't move anymore, ugly but effective... I don't exactly live near an ikelite store either :lol::lol::lol:

Attachments

• Imagen1.jpg
    Imagen1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 288
This may help.

EDIT...just clean the red line area use the correct solder and soldering iron Parts should be aligned better, before soldering and re-assembly. EDIT

BEFORE TAKING THE ADAPTER APART: make an alignment mark from the long locating screw up the side of the adapter. Take a photo and then after separating the adapter, take another photo of the wires, brass posts and chrome connectors. Use these for correct reassembling of the adapter. If the long screw or the internal connections are in the wrong location, you may destroy the battery pod by applying the revers polarity while charging.

Proper soldering is a must. the parts must be clean, alcohol (not the drinking kind) and an acid brush will do a nice job. Use pre-fluxed ELECTRONIC solder, NO plumber's solder. Do NOT use acid paste flux. Apply a bit of solder to the tip of the soldering iron, apply heat to the connector/wire then apply a bit more solder to the junction until a nice flow shows. Let it cool on its own, do no blow on it. Re-clean with alcohol and the brush. Soldering is an art and the finished article should look smooth with no cracks, peaks or voids.

Looking at the exploded view of the adapter....
The center pin you see in your photo has a piece of solid wire soldered to it.
The outer split barrel also has a piece of solid wire soldered to it.
each of these wired should go into one of the brass posts and the set screw tightened, not soldered.
At this point the pin and barrel should look like your photo.
Next the rubber grommet should be put in place with the beveled edge going toward the adapter.
Last, the Retaining Cap needs to be screwed on leaving the assembled unit looking like your picture, the center pin centered and below the outer edge of the barrel.
If done properly, the adapter should last for years.
In my experience I have seen only one center pin broken loose from the wire by someone trying to force the wrong size connector from a wrong AC power head into the adapter.

The other option as posted is to buy a new one for about $75.

Attachments

• Excal Adapt.jpg
    Excal Adapt.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
Z has a good solution!!!
or you could cut the plug off the charger leave enough to splice it back if you had to, then solder the charger to the pins, then a dab of epoxy to help secure the wire. I only plug my charger into the battery I never use the piece to hold it on. Good Luck

I just looked at my charger, i had fixed mine too, actually swapped that ikelite connector for the ikelite on the machine. Anyway, i soldered my wires too but then put a nice big blob of epoxy on it to hold the metal part straight up, no issues since. NOTE, this is the connector for the charger, not the actual connector on the machne so it does not have to be waterproof. It firms it up so it won't move anymore, ugly but effective... I don't exactly live near an ikelite store either :lol::lol::lol:

:chemist::newidea:

This won't help with your connector itself but was my solution after my battery cable broke internally to the connector. I realized that when I was swinging the coil the battery cable was constantly hitting my thigh. I use an Anderson over under shaft. So my solution after repairing the cable which involved shortening and resoldering was to attach a piece of clear flexible plastic as a guard for the cable. Sorry the excal is missing from the pic it's at Kellyco getting a new housing (cracked o-ring housing).

Attachments

• IMG_20170309.jpg
    IMG_20170309.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 316
EDIT...just clean the red line area use the correct solder and soldering iron Parts should be aligned better, before soldering and re-assembly. EDIT

BEFORE TAKING THE ADAPTER APART: make an alignment mark from the long locating screw up the side of the adapter. Take a photo and then after separating the adapter, take another photo of the wires, brass posts and chrome connectors. Use these for correct reassembling of the adapter. If the long screw or the internal connections are in the wrong location, you may destroy the battery pod by applying the revers polarity while charging.

Proper soldering is a must. the parts must be clean, alcohol (not the drinking kind) and an acid brush will do a nice job. Use pre-fluxed ELECTRONIC solder, NO plumber's solder. Do NOT use acid paste flux. Apply a bit of solder to the tip of the soldering iron, apply heat to the connector/wire then apply a bit more solder to the junction until a nice flow shows. Let it cool on its own, do no blow on it. Re-clean with alcohol and the brush. Soldering is an art and the finished article should look smooth with no cracks, peaks or voids.

Looking at the exploded view of the adapter....
The center pin you see in your photo has a piece of solid wire soldered to it.
The outer split barrel also has a piece of solid wire soldered to it.
each of these wired should go into one of the brass posts and the set screw tightened, not soldered.
At this point the pin and barrel should look like your photo.
Next the rubber grommet should be put in place with the beveled edge going toward the adapter.
Last, the Retaining Cap needs to be screwed on leaving the assembled unit looking like your picture, the center pin centered and below the outer edge of the barrel.
If done properly, the adapter should last for years.
In my experience I have seen only one center pin broken loose from the wire by someone trying to force the wrong size connector from a wrong AC power head into the adapter.

The other option as posted is to buy a new one for about $75.

I think I am going to try to wire the charger wires directly to the set screws in the plug. As long as I can get the polarity right it would seem to be the best option to me - eliminating all the other superfluous stuff.

Back
Top Bottom