Advice to Nox 800 newbies

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
This advice is from many years of metal detecting and switching to the Nox 800 after using the famous Garrett AT Pro for 3 years.

First off let me say the AT Pro was probably the most widely used mid price range detector ever built and for many good reasons.

The Nox 800 is a completely different beast in the top of the mid price range.

1) stick to the standard modes Park 1&2, Field 1&2. the 1's are weighed more to coins and the 2's more toward a broader range of coins and relics. Put 20 - 50 hours in these modes and you will do fine. The Minelab engineers knew what they were doing when the created the 800 and 600.

2) do not get seduced with trying to master every feature on the 800 until you have done step 1.

3) up your permissions game and stick to good permissions.

4) stay away from real trashy parks until you complete steps 1 and 2. The reason is the nox will report everything and the 49 increment VDI range will confuse most newbies.

5) read and study everything you can on the forums about experienced users using the 800. The 600 and 800 is the bare bones description of the Nox features.

6) get Clive's books on the Equinox series. He goes way beyond the Minelab nox manual and gives you a better understanding of why and how to use the different 800 features.

7) don't worry about the 6" or 15" coils anytime soon. The stock 11 inch coil is a real winner.

8) get the Minelab Pro-Find 35 pin pointer. You need a very good pin pointer to locate those tiny, tiny targets that the 800 loves to sound off on.

9) Dig those iffy signals. If the 800 says there is a non-ferrous target via audio or VDI then you can bet it is in the ground. But caution, the 800 is very good at identifying those targets that contain ferrous and non-ferrous metals like bottle caps. But with practice you can tell the difference with the audio sounds.

10) always use your wireless headphones or you may miss some deeper targets due to noise like wind, leaf blowers, river noise, airplanes or traffic from nearby roads.

11) Always remove your coin cover after every hunt and wash the cover and coil with running water.

12) keep your headphones and detector charged up after every 1- 3 hunts depending on the length of your hunts.

13) when your detector gets chatty (reporting on everything) drop your, noise cancel, ground balance, turn down your sensitivity until the 800 quiets down. Remember the vast majority of your targets will be at the 4-5" depth level. In your trashy areas use a higher recovery speed. Out in the fields you can lower your recovery speed to aid in seeking deeper targets. Remember a chatty 800 does not mean your detector is malfunctioning. It means it is working as designed. It is hot detector, meaning I reports back to you all of the metal in the ground regardless of size. It is finding very small targets that most detectors simply cannot detect. Case in point 800 users a finding difficult to find fine gold chains.

14) determine your target size before you dig. With the detector you can use the heel to toe method or use pin pointer to outline the target.

15) Don't give up when you get frustrated, just remember these steps. The 800 in the right hand will out hunt the vast majority of metal detectors and find good targets that others have missed. I have proved that many times by hunting over hunted soccer fields and pulled out old missed coins.

GL & HH

It's a great feeling when you have become "One" with a MD.

GL HH!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

A lot of good info, and most of those suggestions can be generalized to apply to the AT Pro or many other detectors. #13 is probably the most specific to the Nox and not the AT Pro. Understanding the relationship between sensitivity and recovery speed, as well as iron bias, and the different frequency options opens up possibilities that aren't available with many other detectors. Pile on top of that the 800's ability to have custom tone and volume settings and you have a detector that speaks how you want it to.

A lot of good info, and most of those suggestions can be generalized to apply to the AT Pro or many other detectors. #13 is probably the most specific to the Nox and not the AT Pro. Understanding the relationship between sensitivity and recovery speed, as well as iron bias, and the different frequency options opens up possibilities that aren't available with many other detectors. Pile on top of that the 800's ability to have custom tone and volume settings and you have a detector that speaks how you want it to.

Yes, I was kind of writing it for the total newbie to the metal detecting hobby who happened to buy an 800. Don't know how many those there are, but they should stick to park 1 or 2 or field 1 or 2 or beach if they are hunting beaches and gold if they are hunting gold. No need to complicate their early months with the more advanced features.

This advice is from many years of metal detecting and switching to the Nox 800 after using the famous Garrett AT Pro for 3 years.

First off let me say the AT Pro was probably the most widely used mid price range detector ever built and for many good reasons.

1) stick to the standard modes Park 1&2, Field 1&2. the 1's are weighed more to coins and the 2's more toward a broader range of coins and relics. Put 20 - 50 hours in these modes and you will do fine. The Minelab engineers knew what they were doing when the created the 800 and 600.

2) do not get seduced with trying to master every feature on the 800 until you have done step 1.

4) stay away from real trashy parks until you complete steps 1 and 2. The reason is the nox will report everything and the 49 increment VDI range will confuse most newbies.

5) read and study everything you can on the forums about experienced users using the 800. The 600 and 800 is the bare bones description of the Nox features.

6) get Clive's books on the Equinox series. He goes way beyond the Minelab nox manual and gives you a better understanding of why and how to use the different 800 features.

7) don't worry about the 6" or 15" coils anytime soon. The stock 11 inch coil is a real winner.

8) get the Minelab Pro-Find 35 pin pointer. You need a very good pin pointer to locate those tiny, tiny targets that the 800 loves to sound off on.

9) Dig those iffy signals. If the 800 says there is a non-ferrous target via audio or VDI then you can bet it is in the ground. But caution, the 800 is very good at identifying those targets that contain ferrous and non-ferrous metals like bottle caps. But with practice you can tell the difference with the audio sounds.

10) always use your wireless headphones or you may miss some deeper targets due to noise like wind, leaf blowers, river noise, airplanes or traffic from nearby roads.

11) Always remove your coin cover after every hunt and wash the cover and coil with running water.

12) keep your headphones and detector charged up after every 1- 3 hunts depending on the length of your hunts.

13) when your detector gets chatty (reporting on everything) drop your, noise cancel, ground balance, turn down your sensitivity until the 800 quiets down. Remember the vast majority of your targets will be at the 4-5" depth level. In your trashy areas use a higher recovery speed. Out in the fields you can lower your recovery speed to aid in seeking deeper targets. Remember a chatty 800 does not mean your detector is malfunctioning. It means it is working as designed. It is hot detector, meaning I reports back to you all of the metal in the ground regardless of size. It is finding very small targets that most detectors simply cannot detect. Case in point 800 users a finding difficult to find fine gold chains.

14) determine your target size before you dig. With the detector you can use the heel to toe method or use pin pointer to outline the target.

15) Don't give up when you get frustrated, just remember these steps. The 800 in the right hand will out hunt the vast majority of metal detectors and find good targets that others have missed. I have proved that many times by hunting over hunted soccer fields and pulled out old missed coins.

GL & HH

Absolutely PERFECT Katt! The headphone thing is particularly critical, as the audio is more on the modulated side than some other machines, and deep targets are not loud at all, even with the specific range and main volumes all the way up. EXCELLENT write up!! This is the kind of thing that doesn’t always get put out there because it takes time to put it together and put it together accurately. This could be “sticky” material right here IMO....

the matter of size

Lets get into 13 and 14 where it's indicated the nox picks up the smallest items "regardless of size" yet that's complicated by "determine it's size".

ok, how? what's toe and heal?

I was gonna write up a thread on just that becasue I'm just plain old perplexed on size determination. so far hears my theory:

"IF" you have a single object, in a consistent volume of earth, and you've done all the sound cancel ground balance sensitivity recovery checks and whatknot!!.... the size is easily found as this equation:

1/16 size = ( sensitivity / perceived depth ) * swing inches

let me exemplify ...

I set the sensitivity to 20 (what's that 4 bars on the scale?), our object chimes in at 6 inches on the depth scale (three bars?), and I my coil picks it up on the left swing 4 inches wide from where the right swing catches the tone. I repeat this for as many angles as I can tolerate (helping locate center-object as well) as it always varies.

N-S swing:
.6 inches = (20 / 6) * 3
E-W swing
.8 inches wide = (20 / 6 ) * 4

this to me would be a coin sized object, but my with luck I would pull a crushed beer can or maybe a matchbook sized plop of soldering slag.

guess my equation is bunk ...

so how do BETER determine size?

Thanks maxxkatt !!!!

As someone who was not expecting to be able to upgrade from my humble Bounty Hunter for some time I now find myself in the unexpected but pleasant position of needing to educate myself on the Nox 800 from being the winner of one in the recent Scuba contest.

I was searching the forum for basics on the Nox 800 since I have never detected with anything other than the Tracker IV so I am effectively like a noob when it comes to this advanced of a detector :laughing:

Added tip for those who don't have their Nox 800 yet -

I was doing some more reading about the Nox 800 while waiting for mine to arrive early next week and found out they do NOT come with the USB charger you plug into the wall outlet, you have to supply that yourself.

So after reading that it needs to be a quality charger and one that has a minimum of 2A @ 5v and searching the forum for suggestions and reading how some members were using an Anker brand charger I ordered this today -

Anker Elite USB Charger

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071YMZ4LD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00

(and I ordered it just in time so it will arrive the same day as my Nox 800 !)

Charging Unit

Yea just got mine today and see all the warnings they give you about using a sub standard charger. Have to be kidding me Minelab, really at this price you could av not thrown one in?

Be careful when determining size! I have found several coin spills that i almost did not dig due to large size and thought it might be an aluminum can close to surface and turned out to be some nice spills!

Have had me eTrac forever and remember how they harped on the fact that you could take updates for it online? Haaaa, man the ol Noxer gets here and I'm updating the software right out the box ?? Oh by the way Windows 7 users, find somebody with 10. At least for me it would not work. Had another puter with 10 loaded right away.

GL & HH

Thanks maxxkatt , I just now stumbled on this very helpful post of yours . I was happy to find that I could Email to myself . Thank you for the generous time and effort you put into this . My Nox 600 and I are grateful.
Happy Holidays !

Back
Top Bottom