Scuba Diving Excal 2 Disc settings RESULTS...

scubadig21

Reading another time the user manual I've Got an hard to make choice.
Talking about discrimination, under the water surface for me is all another story.
After 6 times with disc at one,I've only picked up a lot of unvaluable trash and few coins.
The problem is this:I Have a max of three hours, sometimes 2 and a half with my tank.
This means to dig trash is a lethal waste of time for air consumption and to be productive also.
So I will try tomorrow and sunday to set the damn knob on 10 (as pulltabs are claimed to be from 11 to 15 in disc range).
I hope this will help me to cover a larger area without trash interruptions and to dig more profitable targets.
Maybe I Will get bored with a longer silence between a signal and another one,but I'm yet bored to destroy my back with wheight belt and scuba arnesses walking sometimes hundred meters to get in the place.
It seem a torture believe me...

Raising the discrimination will allow you to cover a larger area without interruptions! As for being more profitable, that depends on the area you are working... you will pass up some gold targets with the higher discrimination.

I wish all Excal hunters would adjust their machines that way.

There will always be more trash than good targets.

Cliff

My problem is that even in 2.5 meters water I still find a lot of trash on the bottom in this period.
Other 3 friends,all of them with excal 2 are picking up all the gold before I clean the rest of trash.
When I buyed my used excal from one of the three,disc knob was on 7...
This man is in scuba hunting from 15 years by now and last november I saw under my eyes his targets over 80grams when he was finished a session to change the tank.
That day He managed a total of 115 18k grams.
He Does not waste time with trash,he only dig good signals for sure as I'm taking 15targets in trash in the same time he dig 9 gold targets with a tank a little less than empty.
This is another problem...Diving is less productive in targets number per hour.Way more difficult than wading with the scoop imho.Surf will also crucially change this thing also.
Last sunday I was in a washing machine bouncing seriously a meter far from the hole I was fanning that moment.:mad:

Yes I agree working in the surf is harder when underwater and trying to stay on the target.

Hearing the Excal while dealing with the sound of the air bubbles going by your ears and the surf noise would make hearing the little subtle changes in the tones harder to pick up on.

It would be easier to ask your friends for some assistance since they have experience in that area and with the same machine.

Good luck and let us know how you do with those settings on your machine.

Cliff

Rasing the "damn knob" over 3 or 4 is a mistake. You will not find much high carat gold set at 10. You just have to dig it. Sounds like you are new to the Excal. While you are on the bottom, raise the sens knob up to 8. Swing it and slowly lower the knob until you get no false hits and runs smooth. It might help you to use the machine standing in shallower water for a while until you get used to the tones. Good luck, hope this helps and you get past the frustration and start liking that knob again. Personally, I never turn it past 1 but I don't dive. Your friends are listening for low tones. The low tones and mid tones are good. Try passing your coil over a nickel. That tone is close to gold. Only dig mid to low tones. Pass your coil over a penny. Most gold does not sound like that but some class rings do. Dig the mid to low tones only will help you.

You're right Cliff!
Talking about troubles,what Can I say of that horrible Yellow Koss?The worst ever made earphones.I'm crying the Cz21 type as I've sold it to change in favour of the excal..
After lunch I also discovered turning the disc knob that it stop on 15...
And lowering it to the 1 it goes over even...
This mean I was on 3 maybe when I supposed to be on 1...
Now I've set it on 7 that will be better tuned for that damn trashy area we will hunt sunday again.I will raise to 9 if some foils start to come out.Aniway manual is clear as pulltabs are between 11 and 15.So I will try to stay under 10.:(

You're right Cliff!
Talking about troubles,what Can I say of that horrible Yellow Koss?The worst ever made earphones.I'm crying the Cz21 type as I've sold it to change in favour of the excal..
After lunch I also discovered turning the disc knob that it stop on 15...
And lowering it to the 1 it goes over even...
This mean I was on 3 maybe when I supposed to be on 1...
Now I've set it on 7 that will be better tuned for that damn trashy area we will hunt sunday again.I will raise to 9 if some foils start to come out.Aniway manual is clear as pulltabs are between 11 and 15.So I will try to stay under 10.:(
Pull tabs are between 11 and 15. Setting your knob on 10 will ONLY pick up pull tabs. The machine will only pick up items ABOVE the knob setting. You will dig aluminum and pennies only and not see gold. Everything below 10 will be blocked! Gold is below 10. You have to turn the knob down to find gold, not up. I think you misunderstand that damn knob. Your friends are listening for low tones. At 10 you will not have low tones, only high tones.

Rasing the "damn knob" over 3 or 4 is a mistake. You will not find much high carat gold set at 10. You just have to dig it. Sounds like you are new to the Excal. While you are on the bottom, raise the sens knob up to 8. Swing it and slowly lower the knob until you get no false hits and runs smooth. It might help you to use the machine standing in shallower water for a while until you get used to the tones. Good luck, hope this helps and you get past the frustration and start liking that knob again. Personally, I never turn it past 1 but I don't dive. Your friends are listening for low tones. The low tones and mid tones are good. Try passing your coil over a nickel. That tone is close to gold. Only dig mid to low tones. Pass your coil over a penny. Most gold does not sound like that but some class rings do. Dig the mid to low tones only will help you.

Thanks for the advice.
I will set this way the sens, even if I already hunt on a max of 6 running pretty smooth in treshold sound.Some depth will help tough.
I'm new on the excal,You're right,but another one of the guys I hunt with,two days ago has picked a 3.9 grams marriage band with disc on 7:?:
It seem to me that this DISC knob on the excal is less accurate or less sensible in rotation's performance changes.
I Can perfectly remember my cz 21 was radically different in discrimination from every knob click to another.0 to 1 and was another planet.
Excal perform pretty as a P.I MACHINE discriminator imho...

I have at home a little old gold medal from my father.It is so small that my 10"coil can barely find it in the air at 2 or 3 cm from.
It will be a good target to try what discrimination knob on my machine will work.If a similar hard to find piece of gold still sound different from base treshold raising the disc,I will definitely set the knob where it is in sound range.

http://s27.postimg.org/4qyele29v/TODAY.jpg
http://s13.postimg.org/mrluvq00n/WEIGHT.jpg
http://s4.postimg.org/tfgpod2jh/GOLD.jpg

Here are the results about higher DISCRIMINATION during scuba diving session with EXCAL 2 Itys.
twofinally my gold...
I managed two marriage bands in a little less of 3 hours.
I'm actually checking one of the two suppose it can be silver and not white gold..even if into the ring there is a name and a date...This second one was really crusty and after 2 hours of manual polishing it not appear yet in good inner conditions to claim the K and the league...:no:

Settings of today: DISC 7 SENS 6 VOL MAX TRESHOLD barely audible and never pinpoint:cool:

I just started a few months ago doing about 30 minutes experimental hunting with disc on 9, but passing all that gave a signal and digging those that were discriminated out were the threshold does not change.
There are two discriminates on the Excalibur both separate just like the threshold and the target volume. I really think this type of hunting is best on a fresh drop beach with the Remote PP so come summer I will be doing more and some vid of the targets I dig, and the targets I miss by digging them....

Take some gold rings and test this, all will be discriminated out, but the threshold stays hi and steady like the targets audio is just blanked out...like a audio blast limiter diode, but no signal at all of the target

EXCAL 2 Itys.
That's the Euro model excalibur

Obn

Can't wait bro, will we get to see the OBN digger girls to :cheer::shock::jawdrop:, I herd you have the best of the best ,OC hooters girls lining up 4 the job howboutit :yes::lol:

Tis evening I've passed an half of an hour doing some test with the two rings I managed today.
At the end of this time,I've learned that magic sound and tried a lot of times to set Disc knob for an optimal sharp signal and to not discriminate out gold totally.
For number lovers my knob stay on 7 right now.
I think this is a good compromise for me as the rings from today dive,are little in weight and dimensions.So every gold item over that will be found for sure.
For my peace of mind,when in the future I will dive a less trashy area,and too much blanking will afraid me to lost some goodies I will lower the knob....

Inviato dal mio GT-P5100 utilizzando Tapatalk

Heck, I think you are right,,,,,in fact turn it up even a little higher,,,,,,not worth digging all that trash,,,,,,:laughing:JK,,,,,,takes about 500+ hours to figure out the ones that are trash and to keep moving,,,,,just the way it is,,,,and unless you want to miss small gold with stones and odd shaped rings, you better dig it all,,,,,GL HH

I think you are trying to run before you can walk. The last poster was imho correct that it takes hundreds of hours on the Excal to really know and understand the finer nuances of the tones and what they are telling you, and you only get there by digging it all for hundreds of hours. Your friends are dong so well because they are hearing information in the tones that you do not yet hear. You will get to the place they are at if you put in the time and it may happen faster for you with their guidance and input. HH

You will no doubt miss a lot of gold setting disc that high...

The bridal set I found with 27 diamonds... as well as the ruby and diamond ring... both rang up as foil. The really valuable rings generally have very little gold in them (2-3 grams).

Set disc at 0, and get used to digging foil/aluminum.

Thanks to all of You for the advices.
I need to underline a particular situation on my Disc Knob......
The machine I'm using was literally consumed on the water from the first day of last june 2013 in the first user hands...
Before I purchased it, last user sent the excal to Minelab for a check.
Trying to move on the numbers,I discovered that 17 (the max of disc range)is pointed on 15 by the knob's yellow cap...
And going to 1,the yellow cap pointer goes over the numbers zone....for a good distance to point other two numbers.
So,when I set on 7,I'm on 5 really....
And Fine gold will start to blank from 4..
I will remove the yellow cap to correctly mount it about its range on numbers,But I think 5 was not a great risk yesterday....I have posted the good finds but my pouch is anoter time filled with a good percentage of trash and aluminium bottle caps also my friends....

I suggest you first experiment air testing some gold.... that maybe an eye opener. Some of my rings based on design wouldnt be dug at dist 10. IE.... a 7 gram white claddel ring and almost none of my rings under 2 grams. Its hard enough to get rings that are broken and with stones even with no disc. MOST of my smaller rings and those with stones right at a gram still come in clear at 5 disc.... at 7 they begin to break up.

HOWEVER..... if you just want the big stuff and the ability to cover more area in as shorter time.... especially during recent drop periods, its not a bad idea. Some people do the same thing with out realizing it, by swinging to fast which filters out more weak targets, or the difference in a 15uS PI vs a 24uS PI. Id still recommend a disc at no more than 6 after doing some experimenting with gold and trash you collect.

Dew

Just a little lost here. I dive with a machine ALL the time. Trash is everywhere especially at bullet beach. And your right, top time underwater with one tank is 3 hours. However I have 10 tanks and spend at least 6 hours playing. Sure I dig lots of trash BUT fanning the sand is fast and I am looking for another target while doing so.

I also NEVER look at my finds. Plenty of time after I get out for that. EVEN if I know I have a gold ring with diamonds. It goes in the bag as fast as a bottle top. Air is precious while diving and I don't waste it period. Also daylight is precious. I spend ALL my time hunting. HOWEVER unless I get absolutely sick of medium or high tones I dig it all. If I get sick of either tone (one beach more coins than I knew what to do with another more bullets) I skip some but know I will be back and I am the only one playing in that spot.

Maybe this will help you. None of my friends can resist playing with their finds. I can.

Thanks even to You Scubadetector.
I'm already improving target recovery timing to use less air during the session.
Today I've finally tuned the disc knob with a small gold medal that my coil can barely find at 4 inches..With my happyness the low tone it give still clearly sound even with some higher discrimination.
This will help me a lot next sunday session..

Back
Top Bottom