• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Garret 250 ace vs Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

baralis67

Ok, i have been reading posts and trying to understand the
differences between beginner/Low price range detectors.
Sofar it seems to me its all about metal discrimination,
after comparing the Garret 250 vs BH tracker IV i see no
difference really in the depth both obtain (stock coils).
Sure the Ace has a built in pinpointer and a few more
discrimination settings, but both seem to match up otherwise
as far as the comparison on Kellyco. I was planing on
going all metal anways for coin/relic finding, I don't mind
the work i figure its the best way to find things.
So if you can explain to this novice if i go all metal setting
why the garret would be better it would be apreciated.

Welcome to the forum! Never used a BH but there lots of members here use them and are happy

Welcome from North Carolina

Search the web and check the reviews of both units. It's pretty clear the ACE 250 is a very decent machine. I mostly use the All Metal mode on mine for the best depth and being able to hear all the trash amongst the good stuff down below. A low tone indicates iron and such, a higher tone for the mid-range stuff (gold, pull tabs) and the bell tone for high conductivity item like coins.

Its' Relic Mode is preset to eliminate Iron, but you can set it up anyway you like in the Custom Mode. The notch discrimination works great.

Lots of videos about it are on YouTube. Hope it all works out for you.

Thanks for the Welcome Book, yar i read the the post Coupe but
it still didn't give me quite enuf to work with. It seems most
praise the garret 250 ace and love the descrimination settings/pinpointer but truly if your going all metal mode whats the difference? Is the garret more accurate? does it obtain greater soil depth? does it have better
battery life? It seems the garret gets around 8 hours in battery usage
couldnt find any real info on the battery life of the BH. It Seems
the more i read thru the posts it more about the determination of the
person behind the detector. So what my question boils down to
is there a real difference between the two in all medal mode?

Yeah i did Randwool, thats whats making me dizzy. They both have Great
reviews and sofar it looks like both of them will do the same job minus
a few bells an whistles on the BH.

It's just a personal choice thing. You're exactly right in that posters try and steer you to what they like, me included.:yes:

Whatever MD you purchase, hope you get out there soon and let the swinging begin.

Thats quite allright Rand, i do the same thing when i find a product that really works well. I will prolly go with the garret 250 ace, i jus wanted some
feedback on what really seperated the two detectors when you take
away the garrets extra features and compare them. This question is prolly
gonna have to be answered by somebody thats used both extensively.

I have both machines. The Tracker is very cheaply made. I have broken several lower shafts and is now is 2 pieces in the garage and the ace is what my son uses. I have a little better depth machine but the ace does a great job. Tacker got about 4-5 inches and the Ace is 6-7 inches most of the time. The Ace is a better machine

Thanks for the Welcome Book, yar i read the the post Coupe but
it still didn't give me quite enuf to work with. It seems most
praise the garret 250 ace and love the descrimination settings/pinpointer but truly if your going all metal mode whats the difference? Is the garret more accurate? does it obtain greater soil depth? does it have better
battery life? It seems the garret gets around 8 hours in battery usage
couldnt find any real info on the battery life of the BH. It Seems
the more i read thru the posts it more about the determination of the
person behind the detector. So what my question boils down to
is there a real difference between the two in all medal mode?

The pinpointing on the ace is not real good, unless it is a coin or a ring because then it is spot on. Bigger objects and foil can have you digging big plugs. The bh IV just looks kinda cheesy...Check out the fisher f2 for $200 with an extra coil and a pinpointer. My dad might buy that. It should pinpoint better b/c of the round coil. Good Luck!

Battery life

If you use headphones, which will help, you should get around 30 hrs + - with the Ace. It uses (4) AA and the Bounty Hunter uses (2) 9 volts. I have used both and much prefer the Ace.

Just wanted to add my two cents to this very old post that it might help someone looking for info like I was. I have the BH Tracker IV. I also have the BH Quick Silver and BH Big Bud of the same line. Recently I got a Minelab Xterra 305. Never tried the Ace 250 so I'm not comparing the two or putting down Garrett. I'm no expert, not even professional, metal detector but when I want to find stuff worth digging I grab the Tracker IV. I don't even use my other BH models. The only con I have with the Tracker IV is the discrimination between pull tabs and coins which my Minelab is great at. These are the older ring style pull tabs that have been in the ground for quite a while and it's like no two are the same so with the Tracker IV I dig a LOT of pull tabs but I'm also pulling coins with speed and accuracy. So accurate I could pop them with a screwdriver. With the Minelab It tells me what is there but aot of dirt will come out before I find it. That aggravation I can do without so my praises go to the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.

Back
Top Bottom