Sovereign GT broken?

I'm starting to suspect that the unit is in good condition. Its the test target..... But on the beach almost every ring is like this (size adjustable 24k)...... Coins and smaller rings are spot on.

I'm starting to suspect that the unit is in good condition. Its the test target..... But on the beach almost every ring is like this (size adjustable 24k)...... Coins and smaller rings are spot on.
The ring you show is very unusual. I have never seen any gold ring that is size adjustable, but yours is. It is not a complete circle and the detector can't see it due to this. Adding it is 24K makes it much harder for the detector. 24K is almost never heard of or found unless you are using a gold detector. It takes the filler metal to find gold. Usually it is a silver mix. 10K is easiest for a MD to find. You mention that most rings on this beach are like this,,,,,24K and adjustable. That can not be true. Your ring is one in a million. I have never seen one like it. Keep an open mind, your ring is different for sure and 24K is very very rare. Almost nobody that posts here has ever found a 24K ring.

Your ring is not connected by solder. As soon as I saw it I figured your problem. You probably bought that ring. If you found it you were very lucky. The same problem exists with gold chains. The links are not connected by solder. You rarely find a gold chain due to this, it takes a pendant or a shallow 10K chain with silver mixed to find it. Broken rings will give a scratchy signal at shallow depths. Deep broken rings will give no signal. Open gold bracelets do the same. Unless the circle is complete the signal is poor. Nothing wrong with your machine. All detectors will act the same. The GT is superb.

That could be the problem though... the way the eddy currents travel around a ring, if there is a gap in the ring it severely effects how long the eddy currents can stay alive in the ring, thus decreasing depth by a lot. I'm thinking that is your problem...

What does your machine air test a us nickel at?
US $.05 is coming in around 10". Big PT ring is coming in around 8". Gold ring is still under 8"...... Looks like it might be the ring, but most rings I find are in conditions like this.

Is the machine turned off or are you running with volume turned counterclockwise. Turn that baby up all the way clockwise. Sensitivity is opposite to volume control. Just clicked out of Auto is maximum manual sensitivity. Also, I take it you have ground balanced the machine correctly? It should scream on that target.

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/75105/Tips%20and%20Tricks%20-%20Sovereign%20GT.pdf
Didn't think needed to ground balance in disc mode. Every target is coming in a fairly good depth except the 24k ring. I'm going to run a few more tests on different sizes and see if that makes a difference.

Sounds like it's working alright. As some have said, make sure volume is at max, disc at 0, threshold just audible, and sensitivity as high as it can go without falsing (just out of auto is max sensitivity).

A bigger coil will give you a bit more depth, I use the 12x15 SEF on my Sovereign.

Sounds like it's working alright. As some have said, make sure volume is at max, disc at 0, threshold just audible, and sensitivity as high as it can go without falsing (just out of auto is max sensitivity).

A bigger coil will give you a bit more depth, I use the 12x15 SEF on my Sovereign.
I think the machine is running correctly... But looks like it might not be what I thought it was. I'm looking for a fast paced large coil that can cover ground quickly and knock out the iron !!!!..... Sort of pointless walking baby steps. I can have that target up and out of the hole with a DF in no time flat

Get a bigger coil... :D I can almost walk at a normal pace with the 12x15 SEF, and almost cover 100% of the ground in my path. I don't have the patience to walk slow, or swing slow. I swing the Sovereign about 2 feet/sec and it hits plenty deep.

Get a bigger coil... :D I can almost walk at a normal pace with the 12x15 SEF, and almost cover 100% of the ground in my path. I don't have the patience to walk slow, or swing slow. I swing the Sovereign about 2 feet/sec and it hits plenty deep.
Jeez Crumble.... Always great advice. Thanks again.

And you are missing gold and silver... the processor on the GT is quite slow too slow for many impatient hunters... coming from the Dual Field to the GT was quite an adjustment... with the PI I swung it very fast with the GT I hunt at a snails pace especially in the rocky area's... you may gain depth with a larger coil but you lose sensitivity to smaller targets as well...

I think the machine is running correctly... But looks like it might not be what I thought it was. I'm looking for a fast paced large coil that can cover ground quickly and knock out the iron !!!!..... Sort of pointless walking baby steps. I can have that target up and out of the hole with a DF in no time flat

Most machines you got to take time to listen to what the machine is telling you. Even the CTX with either the 11" or 17" coil. Case in point on deep stuff. Run it with an open screen. You don't you lose depth. Well the numbers on deep stuff can show a lot of iron. Even if it isn't iron. One of the numbers you see will tell you it isn't. You fart around a iron to low gold number. Foot down dig it up and it's a pull tab. Sov gt you just go a little slower. Figure by brain what it might be and dig it. pretty quick really. Just keep practicing. Most machines for the beach are all doing the same thing. It's just got a different way of telling you what it is. Even an AT pro in pro zero. the deep stuff won't have a number but you can hear a coin noise during the sweep. It's more the gold than the machines. Likely gonna be work for any beach machine. Sov gt in pinpoint can make a double noise on iron. Same thing the dualfield is doing.

Anyone know what the best machine is for finding 18/24k fresh drops on a salt water beach? I'm looking to cover a lot of ground quickly with a big coil. Already running a DF but digging a few hundred holes every hunt can get real tiresome real quick. Thought the GT was the golden ticket, but now I'm finding out I will need to take baby steps with it..... Already dumped $1200 or so into the unit.... Kind of hard to justify keeping a high tide edge machine for that kind of cash.

Anyone know what the best machine is for finding 18/24k fresh drops on a salt water beach? I'm looking to cover a lot of ground quickly with a big coil. Already running a DF but digging a few hundred holes every hunt can get real tiresome real quick. Thought the GT was the golden ticket, but now I'm finding out I will need to take baby steps with it..... Already dumped $1200 or so into the unit.... Kind of hard to justify keeping a high tide edge machine for that kind of cash.

That more pure gold is why there are GPX 5000's. PI is the best in my opinion. Study salt minerals. Most detectors are actually blocking out some gold to run smooth on a beach. PI you don't have the issues a VLF does. Wish worrying about 24k was my problem. All we find is 10 and 14k:lol:

24K is the most common gold here in Taiwan too, I've only found one 24k ring thst was adjustable but soldered togeter making it an unbroken ring. I wonder if I've been walking over the rings that aren't soldered. This thread is not nice at all, I would have rather been oblivioue to the problem. JK I'm glad I'm aware of this problem. I might have to buy an ajustable 24k ring to test my machine.

What is rush here? Slow it down... there is no magic machine out there...

24K is the most common gold here in Taiwan too, I've only found one 24k ring thst was adjustable but soldered togeter making it an unbroken ring. I wonder if I've been walking over the rings that aren't soldered. This thread is not nice at all, I would have rather been oblivioue to the problem. JK I'm glad I'm aware of this problem. I might have to buy an ajustable 24k ring to test my machine.
What machine are you using?

Sov GT with 13" Ultimate. I walk at a decent pace, and it alerts great. I've tried the snails pace in AM mode, but usually find more covering more ground!

You asked about the beaches in Taiwan. In the south they are quite nice, in the north not so nice, Beach culture is quite new in Taiwan, 95% of the people can't swim and the other 5% don't want to go in the sun, they hate dark skin, for the most part and avoid the sun. There are still goodies to be found, but most lost jewely will be recent with in the last 10 years. That being said I've only been detecting on the beach once, and decided to only return when I have a decent scoop, it was a nightmare clay and rocks, my home made scoop broke after the first coule of digs. All I found was 2 modern coins and a tosty Iphone. I just got my M9 Stavr scoop in the post and will be hitting the beach tomorrow. I will post pics if I find anything of value.

Back
Top Bottom