• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Cache help

How about grasping the jar with the digger and lowering them into the hole?:wow::wow::p

Yeah, not saying it's impossible, just improbable... but hec, I've been wrong before, I'm sure I will be at least one more time before I die...lol:lol:

You guys are funny... A 5 ft hole is not that big of a job, I have dug a 20 ft long 4 foot deep trench in a week. Remember 40 years ago 18 years olds actually had a work ethic...

Best of luck with your find my friend, youre best bet is to look for an area that looks different that others... different grass colors rocks etc.

if you find the far you must post here!! we would all love to see

I have a confirmed cache site. My dad buried 3 mason jars over 40 years ago filled with silver coins. He said he can get me within 100 square feet. He buried the coins the day he left for the navy the only problem is he buried them 5 feet. I think I'm going to have to use a deep seeking machine unless my ace 250 will detect a group of coins that deep. What do you guys suggest

I would think that he'd have dug them up a long time ago. You sure that he's not messing with your head.... Look sonny I think there here, all you have to do is dig them up. OK dad, After the eighth hole, Are you sure you got the right spot?
Dad: Well I think so son, but it was a long time ago! Hand me another one of those beers son. "Dig man dig",
:digginahole: :digginahole: :digginahole:

Meanwhile he's in his wheelchair drinking a cold beer, telling more war storys.....
That's what they call "bonding" :laughing:

i've dug many a hole with a post hole digger and that wasn't in sandy ground so it can easily be done. i'd go with the probe idea and also look for any indents in the ground where the ground would of sunk from settling. surprised he wouldn't of buried these near a marker of some kind like a tree or some other landmark so he knew where they were when he went to retrieve them

I think it sounds like a fun project. We do it all the time. We run around with our metal detectors not knowing if there is something there.

Digging the hole, with a post hole digger isnt the hard part. The hard part is how did he think he would retrieve them? Did he have a plan, or even a map? Maybe he didnt quite think his idea through.

I'm 45, this summer I dug a hole 4' 8" deep in hard clay soil big enough to get in and make a tile connection in about 5 hours.

You said your dad could narrow it down to 100 square feet. If you are sure about this location just rent a backhoe and dig a 12x12 hole 3' to 4' deep. You can then jump in with your detector and get the goods. Should take less than half a day.

I don't think anybody has tried to say that 5 foot couldnt be dug. It's about the feasibility of digging 5 foot deep to bury somthing maybe 6 inches tall with 3 foot arms.

Anything is possible though.

Who cares?I wish my Dad was still here to tell me a tale true or not!Man go out there and have some fun with this,if you do find the jars great,if you don,t so what?You had a great time hopefully,enjoyed some time with your Dad,he may not be around much longer,take what you can get now.Just my thoughts,maybe not worth much,but that,s how I feel.Thanks.Jim.

Who cares?I wish my Dad was still here to tell me a tale true or not!Man go out there and have some fun with this,if you do find the jars great,if you don,t so what?You had a great time hopefully,enjoyed some time with your Dad,he may not be around much longer,take what you can get now.Just my thoughts,maybe not worth much,but that,s how I feel.Thanks.Jim.

This thread was from 2012........... ahh the good ol days!

My guess is he's either messing with you or has greatly exaggerated the depth of the coins...

Good luck!!

I had a buddy in the mid 70's who buried a mason jar full of coins in his back yard. Really don't recall them being silver or clad. They were just coins to me. Guessing we were 12 or 13 years old at the time. I know where he buried it. Now that I metal detect I've thought about trying to find it. Who knows he might have dug it up later. It's a rent house now.

Just goes to show you there is probably quite a few buried mason jars out there if I know someone who buried one.

Yep, old post. And the "5 ft." thing cracks me up. Has anyone noticed that whenever these treasure stories get floated, they're always at insane depths ?

If you've ever been in military bootcamp, and had to hand-shovel dig foxholes to even a few feet deep, you'd realize that to dig a hole "5 ft. deep" is a lot of work.

For example, there's a beach near me where bedrock is about 3 to 5 ft. deep in spots. And we make sport of digging pits down to that level, and then detecting the hard-pan bottom for old coins. And trust me : Even in soft wet sand, that is back-breaking work !

So why oh why oh why is there this notion that anyone who buried their goodies way-back-when, always necessarily buried them to insane depths ? Because, think about it : The object is NO BETTER HIDDEN whether it's 1 ft, or 5 ft. EITHER WAY it's equally hidden, right ? As long as you cover the top, fluff it up, then .... what difference does 1 ft vs 5 ft. make ? So why is anyone back then going to necessarily go to these insane depths to bury something, that they fully intend to come back and retrieve some day ?

So whenever I hear these treasure stories that come with insane depths (can you spell "Oak Island" ?) I automatically dismiss them as ghost story legends. Or, at least dismiss the insane depth part of the story.

Back
Top Bottom