Silver In The Coin Star! YAY!!

Me to Mike! Thought I was the only one.

Nope, me too. How many of you guys remember when young many years ago and checking the return slot on pay phones? As I recall it was not uncommon to find a dime in one. Nowadays, you'd be hard pressed to find a pay phone.

Coin Star

I was going to the coin star to cash in some clad. There was a guy in front of me cashing in his coins. But when he was done he didn't check the return trey, Well I Did and sure glad I did because there was a 1953 dime and a newer Canadian dime. Free silver.. My first time finding silver in the Coin Star return trey!!!

I good friend of mine was in line behind a couple younger kids the other day and noticed quite a few of their coins were not being accepted so he inquired as to what they were... the first the kids handed was a 1936 half dollar he offered a dollar for and they accepted. Then when they were finished they handed him approx $4 in quarters pre 1950, and a franklin half that didn't take either. He asked them where they got the coins and said they found a jar of coins in grandmas attic... the unfortunate thing is that they actually cashed in over $60 worth of coins that did go through the machine, I can only imagine what was in there

I good friend of mine was in line behind a couple younger kids the other day and noticed quite a few of their coins were not being accepted so he inquired as to what they were... the first the kids handed was a 1936 half dollar he offered a dollar for and they accepted. Then when they were finished they handed him approx $4 in quarters pre 1950, and a franklin half that didn't take either. He asked them where they got the coins and said they found a jar of coins in grandmas attic... the unfortunate thing is that they actually cashed in over $60 worth of coins that did go through the machine, I can only imagine what was in there

OMG I would kill my kids!!!! I need to own one of these coin star machines!!!!

Can we make this the official coinstar thread. I search those things everytime. This year so far a 56 rosie, 53 rosie, 1910 wheatie, and a small 5 pence coin!

Finding silver coins in coin counters

I have had laundromats for the last 15 years. I used to count coins with little plastic coin shoots. I could tell when a silver coin went into the shoot by the way in sounded going in so as you can see I have collect several pieces of silver in the last few years. Well about 5 years ago my bank brought in a coin counter and I thought well I will not get anymore silver! Boy I was wrong because it shot out every silver and foreign coin that went through it. So I have been going around looking at all the coin counters in town for a few years now!! Dang you guys are letting my secret out!!!:-)hahaha.

That should help you to offset that 10% charge they do. You should check some of you local banks alot of them have a free coin machine if you have an account. 10% adds up real fast!!! sorry 9.75% charge.

I'm gonna have to start checking as I walk by. Imagine what the people find that clean out the fountains you sometimes find in mall and stuff and people throw coins in them. Wow must be like hitting gold. At least for someone like us...we would take a year going though every coin looking at the date the mint mark and all the other things one looks for when they look at coins lol. I'd get fired fast.

I have only found foreign coins and one 2002 quarter (?) in the coinstar so far

Nice! My first silver came out of the self checkout at Wal-Mart. I also got a $5 bill from 1995. Oldest paper money I've had since 1995. :p Needless to say, I immediately scanned a 25 cent pack of gum and paid with a twenty to see what change I'd get. No more silver.

I never found silver in the soinstar tray but i did once find scratch tickets in the lottery machine tray.....cant say that wasnt a nice find..couldnt really return them as asking anyone if theyd lost a scratch ticket really would have drawn out the claimers

Back
Top Bottom