Let me know if you got Tungsten rings.

itsaring!

24K Larry
Forum Supporter
Looking for a few cheap or free ones. Need them to study sink rates and where stuff is going for a year or two. May lose them? But during winter i'll be needing to leave them in the ocean overnite. During summer I just need to toss some early at high tide with markers and see where they went. I got no intentions of selling them. So you can hit them with a grinder or whatever you like. Just thought it would be interesting to do a depth study like someone did back in the day. PM me what you got. Posted this in the beach section because I know you guys hit a lot of junk Tungsten;)

How about stainless and titanium rings also? I might have a few of all laying around.

Could use those too. Only have one Tungsten. I'm thinking about also trying to drive some rods in the ground when the tide is fixing to come in. All you have to do is slide the rings over the rod. I have a probe that you measure after you push in the sand to log how deep it goes on a single push. That way if a softer area sinks the same depth as a harder packed area its really going to be interesting. I'm also open to suggestions. Going to likely be a long winter. So might as well do something constructive.

Looking for a few cheap or free ones. Need them to study sink rates and where stuff is going for a year or two. May lose them? But during winter i'll be needing to leave them in the ocean overnite. During summer I just need to toss some early at high tide with markers and see where they went. I got no intentions of selling them. So you can hit them with a grinder or whatever you like. Just thought it would be interesting to do a depth study like someone did back in the day. PM me what you got. Posted this in the beach section because I know you guys hit a lot of junk Tungsten;)

Remind me next time we go out to bring one. (maybe u could let me try that 10x12 SEF for the Sov :lol:)

Remind me next time we go out to bring one. (maybe u could let me try that 10x12 SEF for the Sov :lol:)

Let me know. I'll let you borrow my Sov set up and see how you like it with the 12x10. You can test it on the rings you have
+:yes:

IMO... SS and tung react differently out there. More of them seem to move toward the shallow water areas than the Ti do. I think Ti would react more like gold out there.

Dew

IMO... SS and tung react differently out there. More of them seem to move toward the shallow water areas than the Ti do. I think Ti would react more like gold out there.

Dew

Or is it a personality profile... buyers of 'fake' rings only get their toes in the water, while jewelry buyers that go 'all in' also go 'all in?' :yes:

Larry, I just checked....I've got 6 Tungsten rings from this year that you can have. I did have a bunch more saved up but the grandkids loved taking all my treasure home with them just a month ago.....

PM me your address and I'll send them over.

Cliff

Larry, I just checked....I've got 6 Tungsten rings from this year that you can have. I did have a bunch more saved up but the grandkids loved taking all my treasure home with them just a month ago.....

PM me your address and I'll send them over.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff! That's a big help!:yes:

I like this Idea. Being new at this hobby Im constantly looking at places to MD when Im driving around or whatever. Ive even thought about asking my neighbor down the street if I can md his front yard . He's tearing it up and dumping it all on the driveway for a remodel. Anyway, I'd enjoy reading about your results.

I like this Idea. Being new at this hobby Im constantly looking at places to MD when Im driving around or whatever. Ive even thought about asking my neighbor down the street if I can md his front yard . He's tearing it up and dumping it all on the driveway for a remodel. Anyway, I'd enjoy reading about your results.

I'll be starting a post about it down the road. Have to test how to secure the rings so they lay flat and you can still find them, etc. I'd imagine if a zinc penny can sink a foot overnite in our surf right now, a Tungsten being so heavy is going to sink a couple feet. When the sand thins it will change.

I'll be starting a post about it down the road. Have to test how to secure the rings so they lay flat and you can still find them, etc. I'd imagine if a zinc penny can sink a foot overnite in our surf right now, a Tungsten being so heavy is going to sink a couple feet. When the sand thins it will change.

I am curious to how you will do this without losing the entire test bed!

Don't take that as a doubter, just looking forward to seeing it!

I tried something like that with some sort of aluminium wire, about as thick as #6 copper bonding wire, that I made into ring shapes. Tungsten would have been much better since it's heavy. Oddly enough, what aluminium ring shapes I did recover, about half of them, after about 6 months time hadn't moved all that far.

I am curious to how you will do this without losing the entire test bed!

Don't take that as a doubter, just looking forward to seeing it!

Got a long tape I can pull some measurements with. Also landmarks. Got to test mono and braided fishing line with barely filled balloon tied on with foil in it in case it still gets buried. Also going to try driving thin steel rods in the ground.Slide the ring over the top of the rod. Obviously that is a winter test. Some beaches in winter you won't see another human all day. Testing in winter is easy. Summer you have to go early and babysit the test site and remove when you leave. I'll start a thread asking for test suggestions though. Maybe even have a silver contest to see who can guess how deep a ring will sink here in 24 hours:yes:

Larry, I have done some similar tests and have concluded that things move according to conditions when they loose it,,,,,,,I have dug Tungs bands right at the shores edge and don't let anyone fool you saying that gold is different,,,,,no way, no how,,,,heavy and same shape, they move the same way,,,,,I have found heavy gold bands right at the shores edge also,,,even light flat floater targets are out deep also,,,plain simple, when it dropped, conditions were calm and it sunk right where it was,,,,,BUT,,,,,when waves, current are moving things towards shore, you better believe those rings and stuff are too,,,,GL HH

Lot depends on how far out targets gets dropped and if the beach has a good hard pan that might allow movement or cause the target to be covered quickly.... then of course the current strength. Different animal on your side of the island..... grainy sand more surf that really shifts a lot of sand in a days time, mostly causing targets to get burried if they stop very long. Ive got 3 beaches near me and all three react differently to weather changes.

Dew

We don't have any hard pan at the ocean. Hit it inland a few times running water and sewer mains for the city. Deepest holes we used to dig is 35 feet to install lift stations. Hit shells at Daytona once at 30 feet deep:lol: I know where a couple stationary objects are. And it takes 6 feet of sand to cover them up. Haven't seen those objects in years. The way they pump sand here I don't think i'll live long enough to detect what those stationary objects are sitting on. probably take two hurricanes back to back. They don't like our beaches developing a slope. If it starts doing that they spend our road money to pump sand so the tourists don't get tired walking 50 yards in the sand up and down a hill. Too much work and they don't spend money in stores on lawn chairs, beer coolers, etc. and carry them because they don't want to get tired. You know you have sand when you have commercials for Ram jack to keep your house from sinking:lol:

Back
Top Bottom