How Many Scoops?

On the East coast of Florida, you are sometimes just getting started at 10 scoops. Waves pushing you around, throwing you back off the hole, etc. I didn't count. But that grill I just dug probably took 20 scoops while getting hammered. You know its rough when your headphones get knocked off your head often:lol: Other than who I used to water hunt with. I only see one water hunter a year. :lol:

+1--- I'm on the east coast as well and do a fare amount of water hunting. And itsaring is correct. If you stop digging in the east coast, you'll never get anything but wet.
Gary

I hardly give up. Unless its a safety thing. It can be infuriating when scooping neck deep. Part of the problem is you usually move the target. So you gotta pinpoint again. Once an a whilde I do lose a signal because it sinks too deep. Theres nothing worae then that...obly something heacvy lol. hh an gl -Joe

I dig until I get that trickling noise a can gives,,,,,I remember the heaviest and nicest find I ever had was a deep bottle cap sound that had me dig for 10 minutes, didn't count the number of tries but was happy to see what I dug up,,,,:lol:GL HH

This is a true story.... A couple years ago while using my DFPI ,I hit a whisper in about 4' of water, after a couple scoops I had a nice narrow, sharp signal. I don't know how many scoops I had but when I gave up I had a hole the size of a bushel basket and deep. I gave up and move on.

The next day I went back to the same spot , entered the water and was moving pretty fast to get past the area I hunted the day before. I passed the monster hole, for the heck of it I passed my coil over it. There it was, a nice narrow, sharp sound. I put my scoop in the hole, pulled up a scoop full of mud, dumped it in my sifter and low and behold there is a gold ring in my sifter.

If I hadn't gone back the next day that ring would still be there. I often wonder how many rings ( if any ) I may have left behind.

That's why I will dig till I bleed...

Until my wife yells at me saying it's my turn to watch the kids and save them from drowning. Man I need to get out by myself sometime.

On the East coast of Florida, you are sometimes just getting started at 10 scoops. Waves pushing you around, throwing you back off the hole, etc. I didn't count. But that grill I just dug probably took 20 scoops while getting hammered. You know its rough when your headphones get knocked off your head often:lol: Other than who I used to water hunt with. I only see one water hunter a year. :lol:

So true. I spent about 15 minutes getting beat up because every wave refilled my hole and I was knocked about 5 feet with every one in waist deep water. But it was a solid signal on my Sand Shark and I didn't give up. Finally pulled out a beautiful beer can. I was exhausted and moved to dry sand. On several occasions I have left other signals because the waves rolled in too fast to compete with.

Ive scooped 20+ times trying to get some targets. My patience does wear thin on some though and I just move on so I dont waste all day trying to get what may end up being a worthless piece of junk. I have to rely on a gut feeling , but you just get to a point where you just cant spend any more time on it or you wont cover any ground. Might miss the best find of the day but its a calculated risk, spend all day trying to catch that elusive possible pulltab or move on and have a better shot at a ring up ahead of you ? ......giving up on it may either be the worst decision or the best decision of the day.

Back
Top Bottom