Broken dreams

FoiledAgain

Elite Member
Still on a high from the diamond ring yesterday, and it being sunny and dry today, I went out for a short hunt. Found half of a class ring dating to 1947 together with a bit of change and some trash. I've yet to find a complete class ring but I'm happy to snag even a piece of this old timer. (Caution: Objects in the last two pictures look bigger than reality:lol: - the ring is a small ladies ring). It would be interesting to know what the 27 scratched on the stone signifies; I suspect it was to ID the emblem that was once mounted there. Feelin' lucky -- two days in a row with gold doesn't happen that often.

Attachments

• IMG_2385.jpg
    IMG_2385.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_2392.JPG
    IMG_2392.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_2397.JPG
    IMG_2397.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 556
Knock out that onyx and sell that.. what is great is there is no school to feel sentimental and returning it... :D I made that mistake once last year... never again :lol:

Knock out that onyx and sell that.. what is great is there is no school to feel sentimental and returning it... :D I made that mistake once last year... never again :lol:
Yeah, this is one for the scrap pile. Where there's a chance of a return I'll probably keep trying until I have a bad experience. Then I might rethink.
Broken or not, gold is gold, and that's what matters! :yes:
It's easy to throw it in the scrap pile when it's broken, not so much with a nice, intact ring. Thanks sandgroper.
Congrats on the broken dream!
Thanks MA.
Hey you found a class ring so its something. At least it broke just before the karat mark. Congrats on that gold!
Thanks SS. I was surprised that the K mark was there. Apparently BROL... was the maker but I have no idea who that might have been.

returns aren't for everyone. I keep mine, too. Both the class rings I've returned, the people KNEW where they were lost, but didn't bother to go try to find them. "I stopped looking for that, but thanks" was the first one, and the second didn't give a rat's behind.

I know there are some fantastic stories out there, but I now hunt gold for the gold.

The only rings I try to return, now are wedding rings. Only ever gotten one back.

My take? If it was THAT important, they'd have gone back with a detector and found it. After talking with dozens of folks who have lost rings over the years, the majority of them claim it on their insurance, and typically get "bigger and better" replacements, as a result (most insurance companies will let you choose from a selection of rings with better stones, since they're so cheap). Of those that didn't, they didn't really care that it was gone... more of an "oh well, it's just a thing." The ones that DO care? Still post lost and found ads...

My thinking isn't for everyone... but treasure hunters ought not to be afraid to do with their finds what THEY want to do. Me? I follow the letter of the law, post an ad in the paper for 2 weeks, and 30 days after that, it's mine. If other hunters enjoy the thrill of the hunt finding the original owner, that's great too.

Cheers,

Skippy

returns aren't for everyone. I keep mine, too. Both the class rings I've returned, the people KNEW where they were lost, but didn't bother to go try to find them. "I stopped looking for that, but thanks" was the first one, and the second didn't give a rat's behind.

I know there are some fantastic stories out there, but I now hunt gold for the gold.

The only rings I try to return, now are wedding rings. Only ever gotten one back.

My take? If it was THAT important, they'd have gone back with a detector and found it. After talking with dozens of folks who have lost rings over the years, the majority of them claim it on their insurance, and typically get "bigger and better" replacements, as a result (most insurance companies will let you choose from a selection of rings with better stones, since they're so cheap). Of those that didn't, they didn't really care that it was gone... more of an "oh well, it's just a thing." The ones that DO care? Still post lost and found ads...

My thinking isn't for everyone... but treasure hunters ought not to be afraid to do with their finds what THEY want to do. Me? I follow the letter of the law, post an ad in the paper for 2 weeks, and 30 days after that, it's mine. If other hunters enjoy the thrill of the hunt finding the original owner, that's great too.

Cheers,

Skippy

I guess.. I have been a law breaker for the past 11 years beach hunting... no way I would post what I found in a paper or L&F too many devious people out there...

I know some get off on finding the owner and talking about that imaginary karma to bring them more gold... I find that laughable.. the reason they find more gold is simple.. their coil went over it :D

:dingding:Congrats! Since I have yet to find one I'd take any class ring either broken or whole. :yes:

:dingding:Congrats! Since I have yet to find one I'd take any class ring either broken or whole. :yes:
Thanks Felix. One would think that class rings would be found more often, especially considering that younger folks are generally more active in the water.
congrats on the back to back gold days :D
Thanks brncofan. Wish it happened more often!
Move on to the next one! :D
R5
Even a bit of gold is enough to keep me swinging. Thanks R5.
Getting gold id always a good day. Melt that baby!
Yup, by definition: Gold day = Good day. Thanks DD.
that's an oldie, gold is gold broken or not. congrats and 2 in a row!
Thanks Joe. I especially like finding the old stuff.

Back
Top Bottom