MTJosh & LovestheShiny detect Missoula - SILVER DOLLAR, 2 Big Ben Franklins & more!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Well... I met MTJosh at High Noon in Missoula today, and we headed out for several hours of detecting. I had my Sanborn Maps handy, and I just picked an area of town to head to and try. My first permission was at a ca 1910-15 corner yard / house, very pleasant owner to whom I gave some 1919-1940s wheat cents found in his yard.

Josh started out the good finds (he uses Nox 800) with several wheat cents then a dark Mercury Dime. My side of the yard was producing more modern coins and clad. After a while, Josh came over with something in his hand, and said "This was ringing up at 35-36 on the Nox." Well, I knew what that meant, and sure enough, Josh had pulled a 1922-S Silver Peace Dollar, and it was his first one evah! I was very happy for him, and went back to detecting. My next target with the AT Pro was a high tone with some iron, but good enough to dig. I was very surprised to pull out a 1948-D Big Ben Franklin half! Wondering why it did not ring up like it should have, I stuck the Garrett Carrot back in the hole and it really sounded off. Turned out a large iron wire was in the hole. My next good find was a great sounding signal, turned out to be a large half dollar size aluminum "BOISE BILLIARD ACADEMY / BOISE IDA // GOOD for 12 1/2 Cents in Trade" token. Very nice.

I walked across the street and got the OK at a ca 1940 home, Josh's side of the yard did not have much, mine had a 1962-D Silver Rosie and a few wheat cents. Both sides had lots of Zincolns and surface cents that we passed up. Josh had a few appointments, so we headed off to Big Dipper Ice Cream for a tasty cone each, and I dropped him off at his car and started home.

Well... I got distracted by a set of three 1950s homes and just had to stop and ask permission to detect. Got the OK at all three yards, and started in on the first one. This yard had 12 Wheat Cents, no silvers, and some modern clad. I gave most of the wheaties to the very nice owner, and started in on the next yard. Right away I was hitting a lot of coins, and finally pulled a 1940 Mercury Dime near the driveway to the home. Followed that up with a Silver Rosie, and then near the side door I got a beautiful solid 93-94 signal repeatable in all directions and coin sized. I hoped for a Silver Half, and sure enough, out popped a 1954-D Big Ben Franklin! Wow! I have never found 2 Franklins in one hunt, so that, along with Josh's Silver Dollar, made for an outstanding bit of detecting. The rest of that yard produced one more Silver Rosie, giving me a total of 6 Silvers for the day. The last yard turned out to have a re-done lawn and I only found a couple of very deep wheat cents and more modern coins, mostly clad quarters. Anyway, a great hunt with Josh, perfect weather with low humidity, sunshine, and temps in the mid 80s. Thank you for your interest!

Attachments

• josh2.jpg
    josh2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 325
  • josh4.jpg
    josh4.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 351
  • josh3.jpg
    josh3.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 357
  • coins1.jpg
    coins1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 338
  • coins2.jpg
    coins2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 326
  • coins3.jpg
    coins3.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 340
  • coins4.jpg
    coins4.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 333
WOW! You two killed it with those permissions! Thats got to be the largest half bit token I think Ive ever seen. Very nice!

Sounds like a super day with some top shelf finds. Congrats to you both on the great recoveries! Someday, I WILL get back over there.

Great finds! Congrats!

Thank you stursmad!

WOW! You two killed it with those permissions! Thats got to be the largest half bit token I think Ive ever seen. Very nice!

Thank you TommyJay! Yeah, that token is just a bit larger than a US Half Dollar, glad to have found it!

Sounds like a super day with some top shelf finds. Congrats to you both on the great recoveries! Someday, I WILL get back over there.

Thanks Todd! Yep, give me a buzz if you can get this way. I should be in and out all summer so will try and meet up with you.

Attaboy LTS, another stellar hunt and fine report. Congrats to you and Josh on all the great finds. 2 Big Ben's in one hunt, outstanding. Still looking for one. On average, how far are your roadtrips ? Good luck. Mark

Attaboy LTS, another stellar hunt and fine report. Congrats to you and Josh on all the great finds. 2 Big Ben's in one hunt, outstanding. Still looking for one. On average, how far are your roadtrips ? Good luck. Mark

Thanks Mark! I live in Hamilton Montana, in the beautiful Bitterroot Valley. South of Missoula by about 50 miles, so thankfully far enough away from the "big city" to have a great small town feel. The drive time there is about 45 minutes each way on a nice 5 lane highway. With the price of gas, I have not done any serious travel for detecting this year. Would like to head your way, or NJ, CT, upstate NY to try and find some really old coins. I do have a great dig/detect set up for tomorrow here in town, an old brothel outhouse that may have some tokens and coins! Will post report if things work out.

Another great post and pix. And sshheesshh, you guys bump into a lot of silver dollars up in your part of the USA ! Do me a favor, and send a few of them over to coastal CA ! :laughing:

Just another great post with pictures from the land where silver and shiny are synonymous with each other!

Was another great time detecting Montana. LTS is a great person. Always fun detecting wth him. The first permission was amazing. My first five targets were wheat, wheat, merc, wheat, wheat. The a little while later great signal under a big root. Was able to dig frm both sides until pinpointer screamed. Finally saw the silver rim. Was too excited so I pulled the coin out before getting an in situ pic. But here is a restaged pic. So yet another Montanan joins the silver dollar club. Last summer 1909 S VDB with LTS, this year my first sillver dollar.

LTS - way to go with another franklin. That is amazing to find two in one day. I was happy with just the merc. Then for both of us to pull big silver. Your token is awesome too. Look forward to next time out with you.

Attachments

• dollar under root.jpg
    dollar under root.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 285
Another great post and pix. And sshheesshh, you guys bump into a lot of silver dollars up in your part of the USA ! Do me a favor, and send a few of them over to coastal CA ! :laughing:

Thank you Tom! You might have to sneak across that Cal / Nevada border to get your share of the Silver dollars!

Just another great post with pictures from the land where silver and shiny are synonymous with each other!

Thank you Silverhorse65!

Was another great time detecting Montana. LTS is a great person. Always fun detecting wth him. The first permission was amazing. My first five targets were wheat, wheat, merc, wheat, wheat. The a little while later great signal under a big root. Was able to dig frm both sides until pinpointer screamed. Finally saw the silver rim. Was too excited so I pulled the coin out before getting an in situ pic. But here is a restaged pic. So yet another Montanan joins the silver dollar club. Last summer 1909 S VDB with LTS, this year my first sillver dollar.

LTS - way to go with another franklin. That is amazing to find two in one day. I was happy with just the merc. Then for both of us to pull big silver. Your token is awesome too. Look forward to next time out with you.

Thanks Josh! Yep, great time hunting with you, and glad we did well! Finally caught up to your "dollar" with my two "half dollars!" Congratulations on your first genuine Silver Dollar!

The homes I hunted on the way home were not on the maps, so a fairly new area, I did mark down the street addresses. Was amazed to pull another Big Ben, that was fun!

Super great hunting guys! Congrats on some amazing finds. A very enjoyable post in all ways .

Thank you Soil Surgeon!

Back
Top Bottom