Wheats, silvers, ring, and OH WOW! #1 Bucketlister

Foragist

Forum Supporter
Got a chance to detect about 3 hrs today. No more clad buffets around this town(I cleaned 'em up), so decided to hunt "old" stuff. My choice was the empty school field where I found my only buffalo nickel this summer. Didn't take long to dig a penny, a dime, then another dime that read "penny/dime", then "quarter" on the Whites Eagle Spectrum. I know that just tells me it's not a penny. It was a Mercury dime! Nice! Back to work, I found more modern pennies & dimes, and a few wheat pennies, two nickels, and UH-OH, another penny/dime that sometimes reads quarter. Yep. Another Merc! Back to work...wheats, small change, and one penny/dime signal turned out to be a nice little Sterling band ring. ANybody know the trademark? Anyway, shortly after the ring, a guy walks out to chat me up; see what I'm finding, etc. He seemed impressed the machine would call out the type of coin, so I told him about a few days ago, it was reading a signal as "dollar", and I didn't believe it, because I have always wanted to find a silver dollar, but I said to my self "maybe it's my lucky day" That signal turned out to be 4 clad quarters, so, one dollar! We laughed at that, and went on our ways. Not three minutes later, I get a solid "dollar" signal. Pinpointed clearly at 5 inches. My carrot pinpointer went wild in the bottom of the hole, so I reached down, brushed some mud aside, and found myself staring at the biggest slab o' silver I ever saw in the dirt. Oh, so pretty! I gently lifted it out to admire in all her glory. My boyhood dream has been fulfilled. An actual silver dollar. Not a clad Ike, but a 1923 S Peace Dollar. After I snapped out of it, treasure in pocket, I went on to find a '64 Rosie, and a little more clad.
Silvers 13, 14, BIG 15, and 16 today. Plus another ring. Ground will freeze soon. This day will have to carry me for a while.

Attachments

• DSCN3926.jpg
    DSCN3926.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,144
  • DSCN3927.jpg
    DSCN3927.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,124
  • DSCN3928.jpg
    DSCN3928.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,137
  • DSCN3921.jpg
    DSCN3921.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,131
  • DSCN3925.jpg
    DSCN3925.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,101
Last edited:
Absolutely awesome hunt, story, and finds. Man that is a little jelly worthy. (Jealous) never had a wish list of finds but I think that one just started my list.

That is a SHOCKER!:shock: That’s what it’s all about,the hunt. And when it’s done,do it some more. That’ll make the winter a little longer,waiting to go see if any more great finds are out there!
Fantastic looking Peace dollar Foragist! You should be damn proud of that one.
Hibernate well!:grin:

Absolutely awesome hunt, story, and finds. Man that is a little jelly worthy. (Jealous) never had a wish list of finds but I think that one just started my list.

Thanks man! I don't really have a wish list either. I have just always envisioned that a silver dollar is "the" prize to find with a detector. I got that from my dad and his buddies, when I was a small boy, talking about all the silver dollars found in the 70s. My dad had an old Whites Coinmaster(I think) that he picked up cheap in the late 70s. He never used it much, but I did...until it suffered a winter with leaky batteries. I built a cheapie detector for my HS electronics class project, but it promptly fell apart, with about 12 cents in finds under its belt. Wasn't 'til the late 90s I got the Eagle Spectrum. Been hunting for my silver dollar ever since.

That is a SHOCKER!:shock: That’s what it’s all about,the hunt. And when it’s done,do it some more. That’ll make the winter a little longer,waiting to go see if any more great finds are out there!
Fantastic looking Peace dollar Foragist! You should be damn proud of that one.
Hibernate well!:grin:

Shocker is right, and proud I am! Thank you Mr. Monster.

BBBBBBilbo Baggins! Bartholomew Cubbins! What a Hunt and finds! Congratulations on a day that will live forever in your Dirt Career!

You will find that Nov/Dec in Wisconsin will hold some of the best hunting days you will ever have....then again in the early Spring of course...

Way to really knock it down there Foragist! :wow2:

Thinking though, after a day like that,...You should probably sell your gear and just quit the Sport Now!:laughing:

Last edited:
That's just an out of this world fantastic hunt! That piece dollar is on my bucket list for sure. Big Super Congrats!

beephead

Thank you all! ...and no, I'm not going to just quit the sport now. I have also had a lifelong dream of finding a mason jar full of old coins, but Rattlehead got to it before I did! :lol: Perhaps there's another jar out there...anyway, it's about the hunt, and knowing that you just never know what you'll find. Some days, the relics are awesome, sometimes the clad pays you well, sometimes you get what you likely expect, and sometimes....SURPRISE!
Many thanks to all you who have encouraged and inspired me in the last few months, since I joined.

Back
Top Bottom