Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-13-2017, 08:36 PM
TK-421's Avatar
TK-421 TK-421 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Japan
Posts: 329
Default Four Night Hunts!

Finally! A tide cycle with a few negatives and no typhoon! Never mind that the lows were in the wee hours of the morning and I couldn't take off work-- time to hit the beaches!

I managed a new personal record of four nights in a row-- staying up late the first two and waking up early for the second two.

The conditions weren't great (the recent typhoons seem to have brought in more sand instead of taking it away) but the combination of good tides and good weather is rare enough that I wasn't about to give up-- and I'm glad I didn't! I ended up with a good amount of clad and a few good rings that made the long hours well worth it!

Night 1: Pretty 18k, 925 with 14k, chunky old beat-up silver
Night 2: around $17 in clad and a deadly sea snake!
Night 3: around $15 in clad and the smell of baked goods.
Night 4: 18k with Pt 850 and 5 diamonds, Pt 585 with some tiny blue stone

I thought both silvers were junkers when I found them, they were so blackened and beat up. I suppose that the sliver of 14k in the silver ring makes this night my first "double gold," but only on a technicality. The other one is really heavy, and so beaten that I have no idea what it's original shape was. I found it among a lot of old WWII bullets, so perhaps it's quite old.

The sea snake on that second night definitely made me re-think my life choices. It was swimming right in front of me in about 8cm of water. They're extremely venomous

On the third night I discovered that the hotel bakery fires up around 4:30am - the smell that flooded the beach was so strong and delicious it was torture!

The 18k/pt850/diamond ring was quite the heartstopper! Pretty gaudy, but looks brand new! And yeah, I'd never heard of Pt585. Turns out it's just a cheaper platinum alloy. It's mixed with either palladium or a cobalt and copper (probably the latter).

A good start to the winter hunting season!
Attached Images
     
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 11-13-2017, 09:12 PM
rob.ream258's Avatar
rob.ream258 rob.ream258 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Panama City Florida
Posts: 1,184
Default

Sweet hunts - congrats!!!! How much leave do you have??? I'd take at least a week off and live at the beach!!!

This side of the world has been sanded in bad.............. only managed 1 silver in about 70 hours hunting....

Thanks for posting and keep the pics coming......

Oh ya...... which beach did you find the stuff.....???

Last edited by rob.ream258; 11-13-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 11-13-2017, 09:48 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: port-a-potty-beach
Posts: 2,432
Default

Nice stash you pulled out. Congrats.
Those snakes are extremely venomous.. luckily they are very docial, rear fanged, and the fangs are rarely big enough to break skin.
I've seen videos with kids playing with them when they come to shore to lay eggs. Name eludes me right now

__________________
Beep and dig

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 11-13-2017, 10:01 PM
FelixtheCat's Avatar
FelixtheCat FelixtheCat is offline
A Knight of the Round Coil
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Miami
Posts: 8,857
Default

Oh my, that's a plethora for the senses! That bakery smell must've been intoxicating! If I saw that snake while I detected I would've taken a...restroom break!!! Congrats on some great hunts! I really like that ugly chunky silver ring.

__________________
Detectors - Lion & Sharky; Fishy; Merlin w/ Princess Leia Headphone Mod
"Seek & You Shall Find"

Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 11-13-2017, 10:23 PM
18kRonin's Avatar
18kRonin 18kRonin is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Treasure Island
Posts: 2,313
Default

TK. Man!!! oops sorry. Woman!!! you really hit it hard
Some real nice looking treasure, that 18K looks quite old too. Love those deep 18K stamps they have
You got the “treasure island special” trifecta 18K, Plat and bling all in one.
Never seen that low grade Plat stamp before
Rest up and get ready for the next set of tides

__________________
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab Excal II #2, White's Surf PI Dual Field, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Sovereign GT with 13" Ultimate coil, 3 Stavr Scoops Evroexcavator-2 V.33 x1 Evroexcavator-2 V.22 x2

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 11-14-2017, 12:22 AM
Skippy SH13's Avatar
Skippy SH13 Skippy SH13 is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,470
Default

Originally Posted by TK-421 View post
Finally! A tide cycle with a few negatives and no typhoon! Never mind that the lows were in the wee hours of the morning and I couldn't take off work-- time to hit the beaches!

I managed a new personal record of four nights in a row-- staying up late the first two and waking up early for the second two.

The conditions weren't great (the recent typhoons seem to have brought in more sand instead of taking it away) but the combination of good tides and good weather is rare enough that I wasn't about to give up-- and I'm glad I didn't! I ended up with a good amount of clad and a few good rings that made the long hours well worth it!

Night 1: Pretty 18k, 925 with 14k, chunky old beat-up silver
Night 2: around $17 in clad and a deadly sea snake!
Night 3: around $15 in clad and the smell of baked goods.
Night 4: 18k with Pt 850 and 5 diamonds, Pt 585 with some tiny blue stone

I thought both silvers were junkers when I found them, they were so blackened and beat up. I suppose that the sliver of 14k in the silver ring makes this night my first "double gold," but only on a technicality. The other one is really heavy, and so beaten that I have no idea what it's original shape was. I found it among a lot of old WWII bullets, so perhaps it's quite old.

The sea snake on that second night definitely made me re-think my life choices. It was swimming right in front of me in about 8cm of water. They're extremely venomous

On the third night I discovered that the hotel bakery fires up around 4:30am - the smell that flooded the beach was so strong and delicious it was torture!

The 18k/pt850/diamond ring was quite the heartstopper! Pretty gaudy, but looks brand new! And yeah, I'd never heard of Pt585. Turns out it's just a cheaper platinum alloy. It's mixed with either palladium or a cobalt and copper (probably the latter).

A good start to the winter hunting season!
My guess is the PT585 ring is actually platinum plated 585 gold. *14K*
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 11-14-2017, 12:43 AM
X-Terra70's Avatar
X-Terra70 X-Terra70 is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,886
Default

Those are really nice rings, congrats!

__________________

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25
Oldest Coin: 1877 English Penny
2017 totals: $1203.06AUD (443x$2, 204x$1, 60x50c, 180x20c, 263x10c, 354x5c, 87x2c, 132x1c) and 56 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 11-14-2017, 01:50 AM
ScubaDetector's Avatar
ScubaDetector ScubaDetector is offline
Freshwater Shark
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Underwater with the fishes
Posts: 9,531
Default

I was doing a night dive in Okinawa and went off the side of an inflatable. Turned on my flashlight and there were sea snakes everywhere. Scared me back in the boat FAST!

Wonderful bunch of rings you recovered. Fantastic

__________________
Please leave a ring after the beep, Thank you
Fisher CZ-21, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Etrac Website: http://www.scubadetector.com

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 11-14-2017, 10:09 AM
dirtydog's Avatar
dirtydog dirtydog is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Somewhere between the sand and the water
Posts: 5,724
Default

Great night hunts. I wish thing would pick up here. Without the sea snakes..

__________________
CTX 3030

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 11-14-2017, 03:17 PM
Numil's Avatar
Numil Numil is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 998
Default

Some great finds there TK! Congrats. And I agree that 585 may be gold player with plat. A version of white gold which is gold plated in Rhenium

__________________
2016 Totals: Clad $642
Rings: 4 Plat. - Gold 11 - Silver 37
Silver coins 5. Misc gold & silver (earrings, and such) 18
Machines: Whites Dual Field, Garrette's AT Pro, Fisher CZ-21

Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 11-14-2017, 03:46 PM
GroundSweeper's Avatar
GroundSweeper GroundSweeper is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Placer Co., CA
Posts: 12,552
Default

Sweet work! Congrats on the gold and plat and silver, heck no on the serpents!

__________________
2 Compadres : 2017 (Total (4/4/13 to date)) - Clad: $181.15 ($620.85), Silver coins: 0 (4), Wheats: 5 (28), Gold: 4 (17), .925 19 (47), Rings: 36 (133), Oldest Coin: 1940 CAN cent, 1940 Jefferson, 1940d Wheat

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 11-14-2017, 04:17 PM
Irons's Avatar
Irons Irons is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,669
Default

Holt Cats! Way to slay the precious metals!!! Congrats!

__________________
AT PRO X 2
2017 Gold ~ 26 ~ First 2/16/17

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 11-14-2017, 10:39 PM
Compass's Avatar
Compass Compass is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,799
Default

Awesome bunch of rings TK- congrats! That ornate 18K band is gorgeous.

__________________
Excal II, Dual Field, PI Pro, 1280-x, Stealth 720i, Stavr Evroexcavator-2 v.22, RTG aluminum 6X10.
"Just trying to do my part to keep the beaches free of gold contamination."

Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 11-15-2017, 12:45 AM
zeemang zeemang is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South of there
Posts: 17,173
Default

You really killed it, nice job! Those snakes look pretty nasty, good job spotting it in time!

__________________
Excal II, Sov GT, X terra 705, e trac, woowhoo!
Living the American dream, just a bit further south...

Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 11-15-2017, 06:16 AM
Mud-puppy's Avatar
Mud-puppy Mud-puppy is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: West Michigan area
Posts: 8,391
Default

Outstanding on all counts! Especially seeing a snake..thats good luck right there! They sure let you know you are alive...strange feeling...

__________________

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 11-15-2017, 05:10 PM
jjm861's Avatar
jjm861 jjm861 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern CA.
Posts: 1,559
Default

Man those are some good looking rings....nice job on all the goodies.

__________________
I can't remember the last time I found gold and silver by sitting on the couch watching TV !!!!

Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 11-15-2017, 11:30 PM
PSYS's Avatar
PSYS PSYS is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 831
Default

Good God. That's a lot of hunting. Nicely done!

__________________
- Scott. - Tesoro Cibola | Lesche | Killer B's
Clad TOTAL = $21.13 / Oldest = 1882 IH 1 Cent / Silver = (6) coins / Wheaties = (7) coins.........
Anyone else in Arizona?! Let's hunt!

Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 11-16-2017, 09:49 AM
Slimpickuns's Avatar
Slimpickuns Slimpickuns is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,826
Default

Awesome round of night hunts! Congrats on those very nice rings!

I know what you mean about baked goods, I was hunting a beach recently that's very close to some nice homes and caught the whiff of fresh baked toll-house cookies..

__________________
Minelab Sovereign GT, 10X12 SEF Coil, Jolly Roger Head Phones, RTG 6" Aluminum Pro Scoop W/SS Tip, Garrett PP, Lesche.

Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 11-18-2017, 11:49 AM
TK-421's Avatar
TK-421 TK-421 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Japan
Posts: 329
Default

Originally Posted by rob.ream258 View post
Sweet hunts - congrats!!!! How much leave do you have??? I'd take at least a week off and live at the beach!!!

This side of the world has been sanded in bad.............. only managed 1 silver in about 70 hours hunting....

Thanks for posting and keep the pics coming......

Oh ya...... which beach did you find the stuff.....???
Hahaha, I don't have leave. Teaching makes for some fairly regular and enjoyable holidays, but the downside is that I can basically only take off in case of emergency or being demonstrably, seriously ill (neither of which has ever happened to me while working).

But I don't have to take off to live at the beach-- I practically do already. It's mostly a matter of picking my battles. The beaches here are pretty steep, and I'm not a diver-- so my water hunting is heavily dependent on the tides.

Which beach? A pretty good one, but not a great one.

Originally Posted by Steve View post
Nice stash you pulled out. Congrats.
Those snakes are extremely venomous.. luckily they are very docial, rear fanged, and the fangs are rarely big enough to break skin.
I've seen videos with kids playing with them when they come to shore to lay eggs. Name eludes me right now
Yeah, probably a Banded Sea Krait (or some close relative). I googled the heck out of it when I got home and learned that you basically have to be trying pretty hard to get bit by one, and even then it only bothers to inject venom 20% of the time.

Still, it's one thing to know there's deadly stuff out there and an entirely different thing to see it swimming by your feet. Luckily I was about to head for the car anyway, so that just made me stop dallying.

Originally Posted by FelixtheCat View post
Oh my, that's a plethora for the senses! That bakery smell must've been intoxicating! If I saw that snake while I detected I would've taken a...restroom break!!! Congrats on some great hunts! I really like that ugly chunky silver ring.
Hahaha, yeah, my stomach was already complaining about the lack of breakfast and then I started smelling that!
The snake...gosh...just this deep horror in the pit of my stomach and the thought "well, there goes my false sense of security. glad I kissed my husband before heading out here."
Good times. Yeah that chunkster is an oddity. It's quite heavy-- gotta borrow a digital scale again...

Originally Posted by 18kRonin View post
TK. Man!!! oops sorry. Woman!!! you really hit it hard
Some real nice looking treasure, that 18K looks quite old too. Love those deep 18K stamps they have
You got the “treasure island special” trifecta 18K, Plat and bling all in one.
Never seen that low grade Plat stamp before
Rest up and get ready for the next set of tides
Arigato!
Yeah, very cool stamp! And for once it doesn't have an inscription either.
It was a very happy trifecta, for sure! Though I definitely put in the hours for it!
Yeah, with my luck the pawn shop will probably never have seen that Plat stamp before either. Oh well.
I was hoping for good tides this cycle but no such luck-- gotta wait another couple weeks, I guess. But work's really busy and the weather's pretty bad, so I guess I should be thankful that the tide isn't tempting me this weekend!

Originally Posted by Skippy SH13 View post
My guess is the PT585 ring is actually platinum plated 585 gold. *14K*
Hehe, I like your optimism, but based on further research I'm pretty sure it's just low grade Plat. There are jewelry companies around here selling cheapo Plat with that same mark. Hopefully I can get a bit of money for it anyway-- we'll see!

Originally Posted by X-Terra70 View post
Those are really nice rings, congrats!
Arigato-yo!

Originally Posted by ScubaDetector View post
I was doing a night dive in Okinawa and went off the side of an inflatable. Turned on my flashlight and there were sea snakes everywhere. Scared me back in the boat FAST!

Wonderful bunch of rings you recovered. Fantastic
Holy cow!!!! that would be terrifying!

One of the few things I know about them is that you gotta stay away from them when they're near the surface because one of the only times they're aggressive is when they're coming up for air and you get between them and the air they desperately need.

Originally Posted by dirtydog View post
Great night hunts. I wish thing would pick up here. Without the sea snakes..
Hehe-- so here's the question: Would you rather have gold and deadly sea snakes or no gold and no deadly sea snakes...? Hmmmmmmmmm

Originally Posted by Numil View post
Some great finds there TK! Congrats. And I agree that 585 may be gold player with plat. A version of white gold which is gold plated in Rhenium
Arigato Numil-san! Saaaaa- I wish. I know 585 signifies 14k on it's own, but it seems that Pt585 is also a thing...

Originally Posted by GroundSweeper View post
Sweet work! Congrats on the gold and plat and silver, heck no on the serpents!
Hahaha, arigato!
Yeah, I would be very happy to never see another one of those little dudes again.

Originally Posted by Irons View post
Holt Cats! Way to slay the precious metals!!! Congrats!
Many thanks, Irons-sensei! It took some work, but it was worth it!

Originally Posted by Compass View post
Awesome bunch of rings TK- congrats! That ornate 18K band is gorgeous.
Arigato Compass-san! Yeah the carved band sure is a looker! If I wore gold I'd surely be tempted to keep it! Glad it didn't get marked up by my scoop!

Originally Posted by zeemang View post
You really killed it, nice job! Those snakes look pretty nasty, good job spotting it in time!
Or I probably spotted it in time. I was horrified to learn that a good number of people who get bit don't even know they got bit, as the fangs are small and don't hurt and the site of the bite doesn't react to the venom since it's a neurotoxin. To make matters worse, it can take up to 3 hours for symptoms to manifest. So I'm lying awake in bed at 4am, having just seen a deadly snake that might have bitten me at 3am, thinking-- I could wake up for work in 3 hours, or I could wake up dying in 2 hours... GREAT!

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
Outstanding on all counts! Especially seeing a snake..thats good luck right there! They sure let you know you are alive...strange feeling...
Good...luck...???
Haha, well they certainly do that!
Arigato Mud-san!

Originally Posted by jjm861 View post
Man those are some good looking rings....nice job on all the goodies.
Arigato!

Originally Posted by PSYS View post
Good God. That's a lot of hunting. Nicely done!
Yep- close to 16 hours of what should definitely have been sleeping time, hehe.
Arigato!

Originally Posted by Slimpickuns View post
Awesome round of night hunts! Congrats on those very nice rings!

I know what you mean about baked goods, I was hunting a beach recently that's very close to some nice homes and caught the whiff of fresh baked toll-house cookies..
Awwww man! It's been decades since I've had toll-house cookies but I can smell them in my head right now! Mmmmmm!
Reply With Quote


  #20  
Old 11-18-2017, 09:19 PM
dirtydog's Avatar
dirtydog dirtydog is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Somewhere between the sand and the water
Posts: 5,724
Default

That's easy for me to answer. No gold you can keep the snakes. I'd hunt the parking lot first.

__________________
CTX 3030

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.