Fort Finds

Charlie Tuna

Elite Member
I dug up a few items I am not quite sure of. The button is obviously a coat button and the bullet is a cut in half minie ball. The buckle or clasp, whatever you want to call it has some canvas still in it and some writing but can't read it. Almost thought suspender buckle BUT it is a strange looking suspender buckle if it is. The brass piece at first thought was a shoulder scale piece, but doesn't look right. Someone poked holes in it, my guess is to sew on a uniform in place of a broken keeper. Thanks.

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 339
You have a toe tap. Your button is a general service button which was used from 1876 to 1902 when the Great Seal button was introduced.

Toe tap is a strange item to find at a Civil War frontier post. I wonder if it possibly had the same purpose as hobnails in that it would wear instead of the toe of the boot or show perhaps?

When you said toe tap my first thought was tap dancing shoes. I'm a collector above all else and only a digger second. This is a really neat find just to learn something from it. And it makes sense with the shape to be for a cavalry boot by shape. Now if I for positive could track for the buckle or clasp that would be neat. Thanks.

Can you do a pic of just the clasp so maybe we can read it. Try putting flower on it and then wipe it off with your finger. The flower should stay in the letters and make it highly visible what it says.

Believe it or not, those old toe taps have patent dates on them sometimes.
Very difficult to read, but they are there...

Attachments

• 11-29-14 toetap pat NOV 19, 185X.jpg
    11-29-14 toetap pat NOV 19, 185X.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 161
Back
Top Bottom