Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Coiltek electronics
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Old 10-29-2017, 06:14 PM

Default Permission and The Science of Persuasion

Here is an interesting video, titled "The Science of Persuasion" that I ran across a couple of years ago, when I was checking the daily 5 videos at WIMP.COM. There used to be an APP for WIMP, but the videos are only available now on the net at www.wimp.com [family friendly videos]. When I first saw this and viewed it, I realized the concepts can be applied in all kinds of situations, but detectorists might surely benefit from watching this.

When I saw another thread about no luck getting permission, I immediately thought of this video, so I did a quick search at their web site and I'm sharing it below.

This will be almost a twelve minute investment of your time. Is that worth more YES'es ?

After a quick review of the first couple minutes, I can see that fellow Forum member, beephead has mastered the first concept... "Reciprocation"

I won't even charge a dime for sharing this one. I hope it will aid a few of us in upping our hit rate on seeking permission. Post your comments after viewing the video if you like. NOTE: The video has no sound during the first 12 seconds, so don't adjust your volume till the sound starts.

So here's the link: https://www.wimp.com/the-science-of-persuasion/

jimther
Librarian - Massachusetts Treasure Hunting Association
www.masstreasure.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett Propointer II

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:05 PM

I watched it. If you got permission for one site, you might be able to convince the neighboring property owners to let you detect just by saying their neighbor let you detect. Haven't tried it yet.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:22 AM
Elite Member

I was a sales trainer for AT&T and my success factor is quite high. In fact Iím giving a presentation at our club on getting permissions next month. My strongest advice is to have business cards printed and always carry them with you and hand them out freely. When I do get a permission before I start I introduce myself to the neighbors and give them my card and explain what Iím doing. Often that leads to additional permissions and also prevents explaining what you are doing to the police.
Also join local historical societies. The presentations are great but many of the members have places we want to hunt so network among them.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2017, 08:42 AM

Default Permission

THANKS- it's always diff for me when asking permission..

Old 11-16-2017, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chipk View post
I was a sales trainer for AT&T and my success factor is quite high. In fact Iím giving a presentation at our club on getting permissions next month. My strongest advice is to have business cards printed and always carry them with you and hand them out freely. When I do get a permission before I start I introduce myself to the neighbors and give them my card and explain what Iím doing. Often that leads to additional permissions and also prevents explaining what you are doing to the police.
Also join local historical societies. The presentations are great but many of the members have places we want to hunt so network among them.
Whir did you get the cards made?