Create your own cache--What would you do?

Ive thought about that as well with the other cashe I've posted. I just worry someone who finds it would think they found some sort of bomb.
Never thought about it looking like a bomb and you're right it would. You'd have every news crew there and they'd probably blow it up.

Don't forget to pack silica gel into the cache. Use a lot, I'm not sure how long it will last. I guess it depends on whether the container is really air tight. You'll need at least enough to dry out the air locked inside. Those pictures, cassette tapes, and paper wouldn't stand a chance without it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

A friend who lived next door to me when we were kids actually buried a jar of coins in his back yard. I figure it was all clad coins though. This was the mid 70's time frame wise. I have no clue as to whether he ever dug it up. They moved sometime later. He still lives in town though. It's probably still buried there in the back yard.

I too have hid and searched geocaches. With Metal Detecting you could combine both. You could give a general starting point and the item could be buried somewhere in say a 50' x 50' area surrounding that gps location. You could then have coins in it and the person detecting could take one if they also returned one, like in geocaching and also could sign a log of I found it. Would be a neat way to combine things. This would work really well in sandy areas like beaches or desert areas

In 2003 a friend introduced me to geocaching. I loved the hunt but then the size of the cache began to shrink. First it went from ammo cans to Tupperware boxes and to 35mm film cans. Then bison tubes became all the rage. Finally it was teeny little magnetic containers with a log sheet so small that all you could write was the date and your initials. Just stick one to the back of a stop sign and call it a cache.

I gave up the hobby after finding over 800 caches. Now that I metal detect I am back to hunting for much better finds.

Since geocaching got rid of virtual caches I maintain one that my now deceased friend posted just to irritate the powers that be.

Just visit www.geocaching.com Len !

There must be THOU-SANDS of caches in the US ; I made 199 in Belgium and there must be like a 1000, here. You can make as many and as difficult ones as you want to. There is no limit. The problem is to MAINTAIN them... This afternoon, I'll be busy reparing and maintaining 3 of them. Will cost me hours. But you like it or you don't...

You can chose.

BOB VALDEZ, Belgium

Not to hijack the thread but 9 years ago this month I placed a trackable travel bug at a lake in Arizona. It has traveled almost 39 thousand miles and is currently in Latvia! There are millions of them. Check where you live and you will be amazed. They are everywhere.

Never thought about it looking like a bomb and you're right it would. You'd have every news crew there and they'd probably blow it up.

Hmmmm. Good thought. If they blew it up as a precaution, then it actually would become a bomb, with the shrapnel being the goodies inside.

That suggests the container would have to be transparent. A peanut butter or mayonnaise jar, perhaps with a good sealant around the lid threads.
With a transparent container, one could arrange a note that could be read from the outside.

For those that wish to bury a time capsule for the kids or grandkids, I suggest a good map, attached to your will. That way it'll be given to them after your demise. A decent second choice would be in your safety deposit box.

It's quite hard to decide on a location, as so many could be removed and destroyed in the name of progress.
That tree where you lived might get hit by lightning and destroyed, and the remains cut down and the stump ground out. That retaining wall could get removed in favor of an addition to the house. Landmarks disappear all the time, for just as many reasons. It would probably be better to have GPS coordinates, in addition to "conventional" location methods. A good set of clues might be a series of pics saved on a "thumb drive", and kept with the map or will.

Just my 2-pence.....Roger

re: Create your own cache

.. And take a great deal of care in its mapping! The following was found on Twi**er. Does anyone know contacts in Southern California?

1/5 re: Coincidence & #dirtfishing in North Long Beach - Speaking of detecting, following was seen on one of the goldpanning/detector forums ... #90805 #metaldetector #treasure #metaldetectingfinds #oldcoins

2/5 "Needing a little help in #90805 10-yr-old boy buried his #oldcoins swag at edge of a railroad easement 60 yrs ago. 1-qt jar sealed with candle wax, 20" down, a block of 2x8 between jar & surface. Don't disturb residents. Proper permission required... #metaldetector #treasure

3/5 "Pre-war Lincoln pennies, wartime ones, too. Random foreign pieces thrown in from visitors' pocket change. 'Anyone detecting in #NorthLongBeach? Proper permission required; do not tresspass! Do not make a mess! #90805 #metaldetector #treasure

4/5 "I require 17% of value after initial $20k, documented, deposited to acct, acct info via [email protected] Finder to receive directions to 2nd cache. Proper permission required; do not tresspass! Do not make a mess! #90805 #metaldetector #treasure

5/5 "Jar #1: 5 mature trees, north side of East 49th, 3rd lot w. from Elm. Tree #4, 2nd from right is clock face, jar is within 5' to 10' of clock center, 10 to 2 o'clock. Proper permission required; do not tresspass! Do not make a mess! #90805 #metaldetector #treasure "

How about a bottle full of pulltabs? Might even be worth something then.

Maybe 100 - 200 years from now they run out of aluminum ore or it becomes real scarce and they need to melt down pull tabs and pop tops.

Good idea to bury our now huge stocks of future gold for others.

Maybe 100-200 years from now they will be mining our landfills.

I've been kicking around the idea of creating a cache and burying it for a future treasure hunter to find long after I'm gone. It's kind of intriguing to think about how our hobby will evolve over the next, say, 100 years. What kind of equipment will be available? Where would be a good place to hide the cache? What should the cache contain?? What do you think you would do?
Len

100 Years from now they'll need "Plastic Detectors", not Metal Detectors! :laughing:

Last edited:
Stuff like this is fun. I do a lot of woodwork and especially enjoy spindle work. I make jars full of small items from wood that would, otherwise, be destined for the burn pit or stove. I toss them where I know people, especially kids, wait for buses and walk. I note they always disappear pretty quick.

Others I leave with tips and things.

Comically, I went down to the local pub for a beer with some friends. Hadn't been there in a few months. The waitress asked if I was the one leaving them, then showed me the ones she still carried around in her purse (they're only about three or four inches long).

Back
Top Bottom