• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Looking for a good Snorkel & Mask

Waterman

I'm in the market for a good snorkel & mask that will let me walk out deeper in the water, and look down sometimes and hopefully get out a bit deeper? I've been thinking a "Hooka" but not yet, I need to find more Gold before that happens,,,Anyone have a good web site or what I'm looking for? Thanks H.H.:-)

When fitting yourself with a mask and snorkel, it is a matter of comfort and practical use. You are better off going to a local dive shop. Some masks are more comfortable, and offer differences in peripheral vision as well as options like a purge valve. Snorkles also offer options such as a self drain valve so that you don't have to blow the column of water out of it when you surface. All of these little differences do make life a little easier.

i agree its best to go to a dive shop to try on masks but if you cant.
joediveramerica.com
scuba.com

these are good places to buy from...i have bought masks from joe diver and got good service and good prices. some masks say for wide faces or for slim faces....so know your face :lol:

They also have alot of snorkels, lotsa choice on types of snorkels...i got one that purges the water out on its own...pretty nice since my last one was a traditional one.

We got ours at a dive shop, and they weren't cheap. We got the best they had. The snorkels and mask are made by Ocean Master, and my mask is made by Dolfino, but the Ocean Master is better and has tempered glass.

Carol... What's not cheap? I have been thinking the same as Waterman... I want to get out a little further this summer...

i got mine at walmart,and have had it for eight years and use it every year when i go to mexico.i don't bring a digger with me due to the size so i use my mask ans snorkle ans when im in waste deep water and get a hit i use my foot as a fan until i find it then down i go,my old machine doesn't go reqal deep so it works great for me.treasureman

Attachments

• isla 2006 045.jpg
    isla 2006 045.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 289
Mike... take a trip up here and we'll go into ocean sports. They will fit you up with a mask no problem. The mask should fit so that it will stay on your face without the use of the strap. (they'll explain that better than I can)

I got one there along with a snorkel and fins. Had them for years now and really enjoy them. I'll be wearing it more often detecting this year as I'm going to add weights to my belt so I can get out head deep and still be able to dig.

Oh...and don't grow a moustache if you're going to use a mask. Mine makes the mask leak terribly! I should shave it off...

I've had a mustache since I was 20. Never interfered with the mask. Some masks have a single seal which may be the problem, My masks have double seals and ride low on the upper lip. Don't give up the hair scott - get a better mask. :grin:

scott-devon said:
Mike... take a trip up here and we'll go into ocean sports. They will fit you up with a mask no problem. The mask should fit so that it will stay on your face without the use of the strap. (they'll explain that better than I can)

I got one there along with a snorkel and fins. Had them for years now and really enjoy them. I'll be wearing it more often detecting this year as I'm going to add weights to my belt so I can get out head deep and still be able to dig.

Oh...and don't grow a moustache if you're going to use a mask. Mine makes the mask leak terribly! I should shave it off...

I shaved my stache off just before my wedding and am still hearing about it 30 years later, go figure! Guess I'll need to find one with a double seal of some sort. I've been checking the sites listed above for a good snorkle & mask, but would like to try the mask on before I buy, maybe another northern trip is due Scott. Must be tough to walk with fins and a weight belt,,,LOL....H.H.:-)

I use a DiveMaster mask & snorkel combo - sells for 39.99 for the set from Overtons - you can get them cheaper from other places sometimes - I have been using this set for last 7 years - tried a few other more expensive ones and had trouble with the fit or with straps or snorkel with my headphones.

Guy in Fla. I met uses an Oceanmaster dry snorkel which I may pick up this year.

Here is a good site with a good variety

http://www.joediveramerica.com/

Waterman said:
scott-devon said:

I shaved my stache off just before my wedding and am still hearing about it 30 years later, go figure! Guess I'll need to find one with a double seal of some sort. I've been checking the sites listed above for a good snorkle & mask, but would like to try the mask on before I buy, maybe another northern trip is due Scott. Must be tough to walk with fins and a weight belt,,,LOL....H.H.:-)

As a diver, I had/have mustaches on and off. The best thing that I do to help with the leaks is place silicone grease (not petroleum based) around the seal and on my upper lip. That really helps keep the seal. Make sure that you get some from a dive shop though. If you get silicone grease from the hardware store, it may contain other chemicals that might irritate your eyes.

Thanks Diverman, I'll have to try that. I tried vaseline (which someone suggested) on a snorkeling trip in Mexico...what a disaster! It made the mask leak like never before.

Back
Top Bottom