Under the Old Apple Tree...

DoctorWhy

Earlier this month I received a permission for a coastal 40 acre property with an existing house and fields that have 1700's and 1800's provenance. As always, my first search efforts are in areas that I think were highly trafficked back in the day. I was attracted to a huge, old apple tree in the middle of the field; a survivor of a long deteriorated orchard. Searching around the tree, in short time, I found three amazing artifacts.

First was a 'toasty' 1866 Two Cent Piece that had been 'holed' as if it was linked onto an old charm bracelet.

Next find was, a "New York Yachting Club" button manufactured by the Apel Co. of New York. The intriguing thing is that in 1895 and 1899 mariners on my home island, Deer Isle, Maine, exclusively provided the crews of the winning yachts of the Americas Cup races. Perhaps this is a relic of a crewmember/officer of one of those winning yachts!

Lastly I found this 2" x 2" brass engraved object. First, I thought it was an old dog license. Later, a bit of internet research revealed it as a 1904 President Teddy Roosevelt, Vice-President Fairbanks election souvenir watch fob.

I will certainly be searching this site much more exhaustively in the near future!

Happy Hunting!
--Bert

Attachments

• TwoCentPiece1866_McGlynn_sm.jpg
    TwoCentPiece1866_McGlynn_sm.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 350
  • NY_YachtClubButton_McGlynn_sm.jpg
    NY_YachtClubButton_McGlynn_sm.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 331
  • RooseveltElection1904_McGlynn_sm.jpg
    RooseveltElection1904_McGlynn_sm.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 309
I always check under any apple trees at sites I hunt, did today too. I've yet to score anything at the base of one. Someday.... Great hunting, congrats!

Nice.
Reminded me of a similar site I detected.

Old orchard with only 2 giant trees left.
Under the biggest I dug a 1778 1/2 reale, an 1865 2 center, an 1832 large cent, and a large men's silver ring all within 15 feet of the tree.

Back
Top Bottom