All Metal Detecting or Tone Detecting

rjjdog

Forum Supporter
Would i be better off, setting my detector to find all metals or start learning how to listen by tones? So far ive only done all metals. Thanks!

When learning a machine you want to try all metal mostly so that you can train your ear to each tone/ item.

If you find yourself in an area where all you are digging is nails, you might want to disc out the iron, and dig everything else.

For me, I started out digging everything, but depending on the area and how trashy it was depended on if I used any Disc or not.

Most times, for my detector, I disc out iron and dig everythig above iron. But, sometimes I will go back to an area that I had disc iron in, and dig the iron signals.

Basically dig it all, miss nothing... but if you're coin shooting, disc all but coins, and enjoy.

I'm new to this hobby but MD on all coins because thats what I'm looking for and gives me good practice on them. On all metal, lots of foil and junk, which comes with the hobby indeed, but I am happy with coins and little stuff right now. I found a cool Smokey The Bear Pin this morning....and it came up as a Nickel.

I go by tones only in the all metal mode, unless I'm in dry sand and then I scoop everything. I very seldom look at the readings. The Minelab is just the easiest MD to use I cant say enough good things about it

I am using my first multi-tone machine. It is taking some time, but I am getting used to what it is telling me. I am still digging everything because I don't have it "down" yet.

Doug

Ooo boy! I bet you're getting the exercise:lol: One thing to remember-the location is everything. At a tot lot-maybe all metal. At a trash-laden site-well, er, no. Not me. If you find a hot spot-bite the bullet and probe, probe, probe! in all metal.

For myself I like to ease into a detector by limiting it at first. I have found it much easier, at least for me, to start a new detector really set to discriminate all but coins. I know I'm missing some good stuff but I'll get back to it soon enough. I want to get myself familiar with what good coins sound and look like first. Once I have that down I then turn the discrimination down little at a time until I'm comfortable with knowing good from bad.

For myself I like to ease into a detector by limiting it at first. I have found it much easier, at least for me, to start a new detector really set to discriminate all but coins. I know I'm missing some good stuff but I'll get back to it soon enough. I want to get myself familiar with what good coins sound and look like first. Once I have that down I then turn the discrimination down little at a time until I'm comfortable with knowing good from bad.

Never thought of things that way! I just might have to give that a shot!

Doug

all metal

One thing I've noticed that may or not be true of all detectors is that even in a trashy area, if you use all metal mode you can sometimes pick up the good tones next to junk.

If you only run in disc mode, you'll never develope this skill, since your ear won't "train" itself so to speak. All metal will get you more targets, but disc will get you covering more ground.

You just need to judge each location based on your time, finds and experience. People often say it takes months to really learn your detector and it's totally true. Explore every option/setting/mode and you'll have more tools to work with. More tools means more finds.

One thing I've noticed that may or not be true of all detectors is that even in a trashy area, if you use all metal mode you can sometimes pick up the good tones next to junk.

If you only run in disc mode, you'll never develope this skill, since your ear won't "train" itself so to speak. All metal will get you more targets, but disc will get you covering more ground.

You just need to judge each location based on your time, finds and experience. People often say it takes months to really learn your detector and it's totally true. Explore every option/setting/mode and you'll have more tools to work with. More tools means more finds.

I couldn't have said it any better BottlecapBill, "More tools means more finds." This is why I like a "screen" that gives you as much information as possible (i.e. target ID, depth, etc). Then depending on the information it is upto you to decide whether you are to dig or not. I dig EVERYTHING anyways, BUT I also keep in mind what the target came under as well... it just ends up being a judgement call, for me, depending on the location and/or what I'm looking for at that point in time. I've been new to this hobby for a few months now and to this forum and have noticed that there are some people who are REALLY biased towards one particular detector. Personally I don't care because ALL detectors have their faults at some point or another from my reading thus far... especially on this forum. In either case, I love the ACE and really don't care for the bias. Make do with what you have is my ultimate motto. Analogy, I'm NOT going to be biased towards a particular item/product if it is going to help me get out of a certain situation and NOT going to go into great discussion on that topic because it should be obvious of what I'm getting at... not rocket science to understanding that concept and/or thought process. Anyways, VERY WELL put Bottlecap. HH \_

I couldn't have said it any better BottlecapBill, "More tools means more finds." This is why I like a "screen" that gives you as much information as possible (i.e. target ID, depth, etc). Then depending on the information it is upto you to decide whether you are to dig or not. I dig EVERYTHING anyways, BUT I also keep in mind what the target came under as well... it just ends up being a judgement call, for me, depending on the location and/or what I'm looking for at that point in time. I've been new to this hobby for a few months now and to this forum and have noticed that there are some people who are REALLY biased towards one particular detector. Personally I don't care because ALL detectors have their faults at some point or another from my reading thus far... especially on this forum. In either case, I love the ACE and really don't care for the bias. Make do with what you have is my ultimate motto. Analogy, I'm NOT going to be biased towards a particular item/product if it is going to help me get out of a certain situation and NOT going to go into great discussion on that topic because it should be obvious of what I'm getting at... not rocket science to understanding that concept and/or thought process. Anyways, VERY WELL put Bottlecap. HH \_

I agree, some people say you should only hunt by tones, I agree you should hunt by tones but you should also hunt by VDI, notch, depth, etc. Anyone who think's hunting by tones is accurate should bury a coin deep on the edge of its capabilities and see how accurate the tone really is. I believe the more info I have on the target the better.

As far as your question which detector do you use? My f75 in All metal will not give tones, just a single tone for all targets but it will give me a VDI. I like all metal when i'm relic hunting or in a trash free area but if i'm hunting a newer spot with lots of junk I generally always use disc. Learn the tones but also learn how to determine depth and learn the VDI's. If the target is deep I dig it even if it sounds like junk because coins at the limits of your machine will sound like trash.

when I started out I couldnt process all the sounds,I had to limit my 250 to coins. I even limited it to dimes quarters 50cent 1.00. There is a lot of aluminum junk down by nickels too. When I got used to it I notched in nickels. The more I use my detectors the more I notch in. I now use AT Pro in pro mode with a little disced out.

When hunting for gold nuggets with my Gold Bug, you need to run it in true ground balanced All Metal operation.

Dusty

I'm still trying to figure it all out too.

One thing about discrimination (after filtering the junk out) I've noticed is that I can get pennies and dimes on edge all day and a big fat nickel laying flat on its back is silent as the grave. A hunk of aluminum about the same size /mass a nickel will still sing.

Does it have something to do with the nickel being made of ..well..mostly nickel?

Parkham: Chances are by disc. out your junk (i.e. pulltabs), you are also disc. out nickels as they are definitely found in the pulltab range. You will also be missing out on some types of gold rings, if not hitting on nickels.

Bounty Hunter 505

Hi everyone, its me again. I know have a bounty hunter 505. I'm still getting used to it. I've notice when it picks up a quarter my machine will beep one or twice and nothing after that. What I'm I doing wrong? Is the ground to dry, sensitivity or disc? Also a lot of what it picks up on display is not always what is dug up. If you know a good setting for this machine, feel free to let me know. This will take a little getting used to.

I've noticed the same thing. I've noticed you get different results depending on which angle you sweep from. I go all around when trying to find out where to dig and get the results you're talking about.

I normally switch to all metal mode to get a better signal and it seems to help "triangulate" the location.

Still don't know why a big fat nickel gets discriminated out when a zincoln won't... it's twice the mass!

I've noticed the same thing. I've noticed you get different results depending on which angle you sweep from. I go all around when trying to find out where to dig and get the results you're talking about.

I normally switch to all metal mode to get a better signal and it seems to help "triangulate" the location.

Still don't know why a big fat nickel gets discriminated out when a zincoln won't... it's twice the mass!

Very different type of metal content, and since signals are based on induced conductivity, ya are disc ing a nickel while hitting the zincoln. Different metals mean different response....ain't just mass that is important here! :lol::lol:

BTW, if you are disc ing nickels you are also disc ing gold!

What you want to dig is your decision

We can only give you the pros & cons that we think of.

One school of thought is dig everything, or you might miss something good. Rejecting foil & pulltabs means rejecting gold rings, but how much trash can *you* enjoy digging? If you have to dig 10,000 pieces of foil, can slaw & pulltabs for each gold ring, is it worth the effort? What if you get up to 25,000 pieces of trash without a gold ring? Can you still be hopeful, or do you say there are no gold rings or it isn't worth the effort?

The other school of thought is dig only those signals the detector indicates are a coin. You can find up to $5 or $10 in a fraction of a day if you detect frequently used places, that weren't just thoroughly detected. Even if $1 or $2 is more typical, it still adds up, doesn't it? But can *you* enjoy detecting if you keep thinking you're rejecting most gold rings?

You can compromise & reject iron, maybe reject foil where small gold rings ID. But some real tiny gold might ID as iron. But can the detector one is using every pick up very tiny gold? Another compromise is digging everything only in soft sand. Some buy a detector that can go underwater, as most gold rings slip off fingers in waist deep water & there's much less junk there.

You might experiment & ask yourself if the fun factor went up or down. Amount of trash, hardness of soil, weather, energy & health, amount of coins present, concern about possible lawn damage & so much more may go into your decision. Whatever makes it most fun/least painful is the right way for *you*. Best wishes & HH, George (MN)

Two features I like best on the XLT are Mixed Mode audio and the ability to turn off Visual Discrimination in All Metal mode.

In Mixed Mode audio you hear BOTH All Metal audio and discrimination tones simultaneously. This can be confusing at first, but with some practice it can pay off. Basically, you can hunt like normal, concentrating on the tones you're receiving, but when you hit a target that discrimination blocks you will still hear the All Metal audio for that target. It's just one more tool to use to decide whether to dig a target.

Just as useful is the ability to turn off visual discrimination, where even targets that are discriminated, that is that produce no audio tone, will show VDI and spectrum analysis displays. This can be very important when you're getting those bouncing signals that sound good from only some angles.

Discrimination is important in some settings, like coinshooting playgrounds, All Metal in others, such as relic hunting. Mixing the two provides an option that can be especially useful.

Back
Top Bottom