Firework

Silversmith45

Elite Member
i found this next to a tot lot. It looks to me like some kind of an unexploded firework. I haven't tried cutting it open to see if there is any powder inside. I'm not as curious as I used to be. It says it must be fired from a tube or something. It's a little bigger than a golf ball. It was just lying in the grass. Any guesses?
Firework.JPG

Yup. That's a firework "mortar ball" that launches from a steel tube. You light the fuse and drop it cylinder first and run. Be careful with it.

Lots of fun right there, long fuse allows it to be lowered into a tube then lit.
It will shoot about 100 feet into the air before exploding in a colorful display.
I love the Fourth of July and everything associated with it:D

YES! that is a FIREWORK SHELL!

My cousin and I founded the first legal fireworks business in Connecticut back in 1985 called " New England Fireworks Ltd".
We not only sold class C fireworks to out of state residence and through magazines like "Rollin Stone" and others.
But we were also, licensed class B shooters for shows and performed many municipality shows, and concert at Jones Beach, in NY.

So wit that being said, that is a class "B" and very dangerous firework.

I'm not sure on the diameter of it, but most shells over 1 an a half inches are Class "B" and very dangerous, and the bigger they are, the more dangerous.
And quite sure you would not look to see a 1-1/2 inch shell go off near you or even in your house.

It holds NO value at all and do not cut into in any way.

To me, it appears to be a much larger shell, please, get a 5 gal bucket and submerse the shell in the water and store it away from your house and call your local fire dept, PLEASE.

You really have a bomb.

Last edited:
After reading your post again, because I was nervous, I see that you say it is a little bigger then a golf ball.
Wit that being said, it is a 1-1/2 shell, class "C", but never the less, it is garbage and holds NO value.
Submerge in water for 2 days away from house, then toss in garbage, PLEASE
It is unbelievably explosive.

After reading your post again, because I was nervous, I see that you say it is a little bigger then a golf ball.
Wit that being said, it is a 1-1/2 shell, class "C", but never the less, it is garbage and holds NO value.
Submerge in water for 2 days away from house, then toss in garbage, PLEASE
It is unbelievably explosive.

Here's it compared to a golf ball. I dropped it off at a nearby fire station to let them take care of it. It didn't have any fuse. it must have burnt out and didn't go off.
F&G.jpg

Silversmith, you did the right thing, like I said, it holds no value at all, I feel better now, as no matter how small, you don't know the hell it can cause!
Have a Merry Christmas

Silversmith, you did the right thing, like I said, it holds no value at all, I feel better now, as no matter how small, you don't know the hell it can cause!
Have a Merry Christmas

I always liked to play with explosives in the military but I'm not stupid. Merry Christmas to you and yours.