Best signal numbers/tones to dig with the AtPro ?

Metal Maniac

Forum Supporter
Hi All, haven't made a thread in a little while. Trying to learn the AtPro, only had it out about 6 times . I don't have the time anymore to get out like I used to . The wife got a job that limits my hunting . I used to be the only income and could hunt whenever I wanted, basically. Now she's working , sometimes 50 hrs a week at the post office ( yeah don't bash the P.O. ) the stories she tells me of the stupid people that come in there are sometimes unbelievable.

So, anyway, I was hunting on Tuesday and noticed that 55 is pretty much a pull tab . Those pull tabs are a pronounced tone. 75-83 bouncing around is a bottlecap . 86 is a quarter , twice I got that signal. 71 is a dime , and 51 was a nickel. I got a lot of signals in the low 40's that I didn't dig . Pennies ring in variously from 70 to 82. I understand that this hobby is a dig to find out what it is type of thing . Just wondering what everyone else considers a solid signal to dig with the AtPro. Oh yeah , forgot to mention that I only have the 5x8 coil .I need a stock coil (8.5x11) if anyone needs to unload one. Thanks for the replies.

I use mainly the 5x8 myself. It depends where I'm hunting of course. In a tot lot I pretty much recover it all. In the park/schools/yards it is first a matter of VDI variance. As you noticed a bottle cap will read many different numbers on each swing. Even a pull tab will do this just not as prominently. I first watch for a good solid VDI that doesn't vary much. If I swing 10 times and get a 51-52 90% of the time I can almost always expect a nickle.

Try and memorize only the bad target VDI's. If you get a solid 72-73 from all directions 90% of the time I'd recover it. There would be a good chance it is not a pull tab but a ring or some other odd yet good target.

There really is no silver bullet on determining if a target is going to be good or bad, but more how well you know your detector and the area you/re hunting.

Hi All, haven't made a thread in a little while. Trying to learn the AtPro, only had it out about 6 times . I don't have the time anymore to get out like I used to . The wife got a job that limits my hunting . I used to be the only income and could hunt whenever I wanted, basically. Now she's working , sometimes 50 hrs a week at the post office ( yeah don't bash the P.O. ) the stories she tells me of the stupid people that come in there are sometimes unbelievable.

So, anyway, I was hunting on Tuesday and noticed that 55 is pretty much a pull tab . Those pull tabs are a pronounced tone. 75-83 bouncing around is a bottlecap . 86 is a quarter , twice I got that signal. 71 is a dime , and 51 was a nickel. I got a lot of signals in the low 40's that I didn't dig . Pennies ring in variously from 70 to 82. I understand that this hobby is a dig to find out what it is type of thing . Just wondering what everyone else considers a solid signal to dig with the AtPro. Oh yeah , forgot to mention that I only have the 5x8 coil .I need a stock coil (8.5x11) if anyone needs to unload one. Thanks for the replies.

71 is low for a dime, usualy 80 81

55 has ALWAYS been a solid nickle on my pro. And as far as quarters going no need for numbers the sound will blow you away. Now I put a NEL snake on mine and you can just hear the faint dimes DEEP. Bring a drop cloth for the dirt pile. :yes:

I think the numbers may vary a bit due to soil conditions, may be why people have slightly different #s for a solid nickel, dime etc...

The signals I dig are the good tones... after some experience you figure out what the good tones are. Numbers will vary...

I have the 5x8 and stock.I used the stock coil in a trashy spot and had no problem hearing coins left and right.Some people say the 5x8 coil gets the same depth as the stock,not in my soil and part of Pennsylvania. The 5x8 has its place but I run stock coil,I want the coverage and I see no masking at all with it.

One thing I have personally noticed that I haven't read about already is a banging 77-79. The VDI stays 77-79 but the tone sounds more like a dime/copper penny. Usually it's a fresh zincoln but modern arcade tokens seem to hit like that for me.

Just to add one that often gets overlooked. Dig everything over 6" deep if they check out with iron audio and pass the size check trick. Many of those deep targets are not what the detector says they are , what it says is a penny can really be a dime and what it says is aluminum or iron can be a nickel , and at that depth it isnt always a solid repeatable hit.

50-nickle
75-81- penny
81-83-dime
85-quarter

Pretty much same numbers/targets in my area.

Just remember (like the CA post above shows) different soils bring different ground balance numbers which leads to different VDI readings.

Knowing your machine in your conditions is the answer. Good hunting to you! :grin:

Silver dimes usually ring in at 82 on my at pro. Jefferson nickels are 52-53 and v nickels hit a solid 50 on my machine. I found a merc in my driveway this past sunday it rang up as a 84 and it was shallow. 2-4 inches. Washingtons hit 86 and slq's hit 85 on my pro. Pennies come in from 60's-80$ depending on how ate up they are.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

I like your post MM, and all the replies too...it pretty much sums up all our collective experience with the AtPro...FWIW, I run that stock big coil on mine and use it for water hunting exclusively...Gold primary, Silver secondary...

One thing I might add, I'm ALWAYS in Pro zero, iron audio off, sens @3 clicks down,, with a 40 disc...(I just push and hold the disc button and count to '10')

Now, besides gold rings, (smallest being a point4gr of 14k, largest to date a 12.3gr 18k)..I've gotten two nice gold chains with this thing in the last 3yrs, one was a 10k 15gr, even though I was in 40 disc, it was reading 38 on the tid, (it was daylight and I remember looking at the screen, wondered WTH is this 38 tid showing up when I'm in 40 disc?) not a very good signal, like some sort of foil, but loud enough to hear and out of curiosity, I took a swipe...

Then this monster 24k 75gr one, in the complete darkness, also in the water, dont know the tids but the tone sounded like a couple pulltabs close together or a stainless steel hose clamp...It wasnt until later in the morning that I knew what it was.:laughing:.

The Pro seems to love the midtones, hits nickels/gold rings like a train, (as Icescratchers and Irons posts attest) even in a pile of iron, the tid may be scattered from the 70's to the low 50's but the tone strength and size of the target is too tight to pass up...This AtPro rig hasnt been out in the market for very long, but it sure is a goldfinder, dont think too hard about the tids, try to think location, profile of target, always thinking gold, etc..

My buddy Sturrat crossed over to a Pro last year coming off a long stellar career with his Minelab...that damn guy can find gold no matter what he uses!...:laughing:.
Mud

Attachments

• may 5 chain.jpg
    may 5 chain.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,898
  • sept 8 13-2.jpg
    sept 8 13-2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,842
  • sept 8 13-5.jpg
    sept 8 13-5.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,840
Just to add one that often gets overlooked. Dig everything over 6" deep if they check out with iron audio and pass the size check trick. Many of those deep targets are not what the detector says they are , what it says is a penny can really be a dime and what it says is aluminum or iron can be a nickel , and at that depth it isnt always a solid repeatable hit.

Very, very good advice and is the procedure I follow when hunting old parks. I will dig anything 50 and above that is deep. The orientation of the coin in the ground will greatly influence the id. You must go slow though and pound a certain area. Try it and you'll be surprised.

Back
Top Bottom