• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Better to seem knowledgeable on a home site or not give as much info?

SA_Digger

My question is, in your opinion, is it better to share all the information learned during research of an owners historic home (such as original owners, date built, other uses for the home before they purchased it, etc)... or is it better to just state that you know the house is pretty old, and you're interested in searching?

I feel that if you give them so much information and tell them why you think their property may have good stuff in the ground, they may be wary to allow you to hunt and take that good stuff off their property.

Thoughts?

Probably the 'Bill Clinton' policy would be the best way to go,' Don't ask, don't tell'. Really sort of depends on the individual. Don't think there is any one approach, that works in all cases. Being open and honest, is always the best way to go. It's the man's property, and he has the final say in it, could change his mind at anytime, and can point you to the homes of his friends, neighbors, and family, if he trust you.

The spoken word, isn't the only form of communication. Maybe not everyone can read body language, but most can tell when your words, and your intentions don't match up, just a hunch or a feeling. Besides, the owner might be curious and adventuresome, might not expect any chests of gold, and a few silver coins only a passing interest.

i personally wouldn't disclose alot of info, that might give the homeowner the impression that you over did your homework for a reason and there is something specific that your looking for (cashe).

i personally wouldn't disclose alot of info, that might give the homeowner the impression that you over did your homework for a reason and there is something specific that your looking for (cashe).

Good point. If an owner knows you did extensive research they would probably assume there's something specific you're after. Thanks

I think i would say i could tell the place had been there quite awhile and then ask them if they know anything about it's history.i find that alot of people like to give a little history if you don't come off knowing to much to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom