A new way of asking permissions.

Doom64

Has anyone tried asking permission to hunt private land/backyard via your local Craigslist? I'm curious to see how that went.

I'm thinking about it. Just hope I don't run into any weirdos that want me put lotion on its skin.

Yes. I have used craigslist and it has given me quite a few private properties exclusive permission. I haven't hunted many of the ones I have permission for yet but just last weekend I found a 62g .925 silver chain at one house. Its good to just stockpile locations sometimes. Lol They can pay off. Some are a bust though. Don't forget to mention in your add you are looking for older homes hopefully built before 1950. Gives you much better chances of finding silver coins.

Sounds like a good idea. But how exactly would you go about posting this ad, and what section would you put it under?

I posted and have had two responses so far in about a month. I received permission on a 1920's home (the owner requested a split). The other responder, after many emails back and forth, informed me he was going to get his own detector and start "finding stuff".

Burnt...I'm curious how you word your listing.

Mine reads:
"I search for lost items as a hobby. I use a metal detector to search for long ago lost items. When my detector notifies me of a find, I use a small tool to extract the item from the ground, leaving very little disturbance to the area. I am very respectable of your property and your privacy. All personal family items found will be returned to you.

Do you want to know what is in your yard? Send me an email with info on the age of your home, and neighborhood and good times for me to come by. Older areas receive priority."

I posted and have had two responses so far in about a month. I received permission on a 1920's home (the owner requested a split). The other responder, after many emails back and forth, informed me he was going to get his own detector and start "finding stuff".

Burnt...I'm curious how you word your listing.

Mine reads:
"I search for lost items as a hobby. I use a metal detector to search for long ago lost items. When my detector notifies me of a find, I use a small tool to extract the item from the ground, leaving very little disturbance to the area. I am very respectable of your property and your privacy. All personal family items found will be returned to you.

Do you want to know what is in your yard? Send me an email with info on the age of your home, and neighborhood and good times for me to come by. Older areas receive priority."

Also mention that you do a free recovery service for lost items as well. I usually state specifically I am looking for homes built before 1950 as well. I explain I am not in it for the money just for the history and enjoyment of finding items. Never discuss splitting finds or even that their may be good finds there. Discuss that if the issue arrives. Explain the plugs you dig and how you would never know you were there. Also I explain some basic things such as I won't go where you don't want me to, bring anyone else, enter buildings, etc.. Also if you have a spare detector let them give it a try. Usually really helps.

I have about 20 homes in my little "black book" that all have written permission. I also carry printouts of an agreement where I am responsible for any damages I may cause and another where I relieve them of all liability if I got injured on their property. I only use paperwork if it's a deal breaker though.

Lost and found

I have searched Craigs list's lost and found and offered to help find something they lost, if they have a general idea of where it was lost. Sometimes that can lead to obtaining permission to hunt other properties. I don't ask for money or reward (I won't take it) and I always give them a card for lostmystuff.net.

For those who asked, did the owners ask for a cut?

So far no. I did say if I found any real personal belongings or something of real historic value for their property I would give them those items. I clearly state that it is for a hobby and not for personal wealth. Never mention the possibility of real valuable coins or artifacts. They will assume there is and believe they deserve most if not all if you do. You put in the effort it should be yours. Unless you found some crazy large hoard of coins and wealth. Then yes you should split proceeds. How do you split one 1954 rosie dime though? You know...

So far no. I did say if I found any real personal belongings or something of real historic value for their property I would give them those items. I clearly state that it is for a hobby and not for personal wealth. Never mention the possibility of real valuable coins or artifacts. They will assume there is and believe they deserve most if not all if you do. You put in the effort it should be yours. Unless you found some crazy large hoard of coins and wealth. Then yes you should split proceeds. How do you split one 1954 rosie dime though? You know...

True. Good point.

I'll write a little somethin up when I get off work and see what happens

Last edited:
This has been a great thread. So many ideas and knowledge passed along to others so unselfishly. Refreshing!

If that was directed towards me thank you lol.

Craigslist is a great asset. Also look through the real estate sections. Look for older homes that are for sale. A lot of the time they will also allow you to search before they sell the home. A lot onowners are curious or know they lost something at one point and it would be their last chance to maybe see those items again.

been using craigslist for about 2 yrs and have gotten some nice old houses, no one has ever asked me to split anything........I will not post my ad because I did before and somebody copied my ad and used it word for word on another forum and they did not live far from me, pretty low if you ask me

How do you usually word the Craigslist posts? I don't want to word something wrong and have someone be put off.

I introduce myself, state what I do and what I am looking for. I wont share my exact template. Just be polite, respectful and don't sound like you're in it for $ pretty much. lol.

Also... I hope you can dig clean plugs. One bad whole can sometimes ruin a spot if the owners are anal about their yards. The nicer and more respectful to the property owners and the property the better chances you can end up with more properties thanks to word of mouth and a good source of references.

make sure ya don't accidently post it in the "MFM casual encounters" section :laughing:

make sure ya don't accidently post it in the "MFM casual encounters" section :laughing:

Lots of guys are already exploring the woods, why not bring the detector along.

CL is a great idea BTW, it would be entertaining just to see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom