Kentucky SB105 PASSES STATE SENATE

pocketspill

Elite Member
The Senate Bill 105 allowing metal detecting in Kentucky State Parks passed the Senate Floor 03/06/2012 by 4 votes. it’s the first time this type of bill has ever made any progress in KY.

The bill will now go to the Ky. House to start the process to pass it through the House soon. So we’re reloading, charging batteries and looking for help.

We need lots of people to stay in the fight. This is great news, but it is only ONE STEP FORWARD.

Remember there are several powerful people using all resourses to stop this from going through! Now is the time to stike while the iron is hot! Help Kentucky to open up all State Parks to metal detecting.

Everyone in KY – we need representation in MANY DISTRICTS – not just the large cities. Figure out who your representative is and let’s start a plan.

I'm telling you.........you guys need an organization like the NRA. Without high priced lawers and lobby groups, you'll be swept aside. There is strength in numbers and money.

Heck I'm Canadian and I'd join.

Kentuckians...Please jump over to this article and comment, politely. :-)

4f4ea4983a04d.preview-300.jpg

http://www.maysville-online.com/new...cle_a2958605-21f1-56db-8cdb-e318066190db.html

He said... "Scott, how stupid are you?" as I tried to have a civilized email conversation about preservationists and metal detecting cooperation.

Well, how stupid am I? I am making all this noise trying to get a few Kentucky detectorists to get off their seat and contact their legislators in a 5 minute phone call about SB 105 (which is coming up for vote.)

Has it worked?

"We're not really getting that many calls" says the lady in Frankfort.

So, perhaps I am stupid for trying so hard.

ban

I thought that was the purpose of the Federation of Metal Detector and Archaeological Club, FMDAC, to support rights for metal detecting. Am I wrong.

I thought that was the purpose of the Federation of Metal Detector and Archaeological Club, FMDAC, to support rights for metal detecting. Am I wrong.

Perhaps.

Oh, The Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights Foundation (TFMDRF) have been interested and helpful.

Its sad to see so many people without a hobie. They just don't get it

To them, it's not a hobby - it's a profession. As in full-time. And they are passionate about preservation of their way of life just as much as preserving the artifacts. The question is, are detectorists equally passionate?

And we have to start thinking more like them if we are going to open up State lands. All-or-nothing, confrontational approaches are getting us nowhere.

I'm telling you.........you guys need an organization like the NRA. Without high priced lawers and lobby groups, you'll be swept aside. There is strength in numbers and money.

Heck I'm Canadian and I'd join.

I agree...we need an organization to speak for all in this hobby.

Where I live the county parks are off limits...there is an under used park that was a camp ground for many years, that I think would be good place to hunt.

I have put together a list which addresses the archeologists arguments point by point.

• They deny the evidence that neglecting metallic artifacts is "looting via neglect". Bronze, copper, iron and other artifacts, along with their historic context, disappear over time and become useless.
  • The archaeology community will never have the resources to study all 18th and 19th century sites, which are by their nature low-priority.
  • The "historical context" of these 18th and 19th century items is already well documented, but can be supplemented by amateur work. In other words, why spend limited public research money with low expectations of new information versus tapping enthusiastic amateurs to assist for free?
  • Pre-history sites should be off-limits to detecting so that both artifacts and historical context can be carefully studied. We share the common interest of learning more about the Commonwealth's past.
  • Many detector finds make their way into Kentucky museums and educational institutions as donations (along with others found in private lands, currently unavailable to historians.) Artifacts do not get donated if archaeologists treat amateurs poorly.
  • Detectorists are extremely good stewards of the land (holes filled, litter removed, contraband reported.)
  • Skilled detectorists can help archaeologists with surveys and accelerate their results. It takes many years to become a skilled metal detector user.
  • There is an enormous backlog of unstudied artifacts already in academic archives.

Any other Kentuckians have items for the list?

I'd recommend using this list (or variations) when you talk to Legislators.

Scott--
I read the below excellent posts and have been in contact with Senator's Hornback, Seum, and Kerr over SB 105. I will called their offices again on Monday March 6 to find out the status of the bill. Several weeks earlier I called and s/w Senator Hornback who said he is a co-sponsor of the bill. I s/w Senator Seum's secretary who told me the bill was sent to Senator Alice Kerr's office of Economic Development and Labor. I s/w Senator Kerr's secretary who said the bill was waiting for Senator Hornback to schedule it to be heard on the Senate floor. I called Senator Hornback and Seum back to let them know. They said they would call Senator Kerr's office and find out what the hold up is because it was news to them that her office said they were waiting for them to pull the trigger. Eddie Black said and I confirmed with Senator Hornback that if the bill isn't heard by March 30th it will be dead again..like the last three years because the Senate recesses till the fall and they deal with budget issues then.

Scott--
I read the below excellent posts and have been in contact with Senator's Hornback, Seum, and Kerr over SB 105. I will called their offices again on Monday March 6 to find out the status of the bill. Several weeks earlier I called and s/w Senator Hornback who said he is a co-sponsor of the bill. I s/w Senator Seum's secretary who told me the bill was sent to Senator Alice Kerr's office of Economic Development and Labor. I s/w Senator Kerr's secretary who said the bill was waiting for Senator Hornback to schedule it to be heard on the Senate floor. I called Senator Hornback and Seum back to let them know. They said they would call Senator Kerr's office and find out what the hold up is because it was news to them that her office said they were waiting for them to pull the trigger. Eddie Black said and I confirmed with Senator Hornback that if the bill isn't heard by March 30th it will be dead again..like the last three years because the Senate recesses till the fall and they deal with budget issues then.

Thanks for the update ... I wish we could do something to get it voted and show some support in person.

keep trying

I have emailed my uncle Brent Yonts and asked him if he can do anything he is State Representative, House District 15 as the bill is in the Senate I am not sure what he can do but I will keep pestering him about the good points of the bill maybe he can do something.

I have emailed my uncle Brent Yonts and asked him if he can do anything he is State Representative, House District 15 as the bill is in the Senate I am not sure what he can do but I will keep pestering him about the good points of the bill maybe he can do something.

What's needed is calls/letters from a *diversity* of KY districts.

When one person in district "X" emails all state senators, it's ineffective, I think. Senators want to hear from their constituents.

So if possible, I would spread it around, literally, and get people from all over KY to send emails/call.

NEWS FLASH: SB 105 Passes in KY Senate!!!!

The Senate Bill 105 allowing metal detecting in Kentucky State Parks passed the Senate Floor 03/06/2012 by 4 votes. it's the first time this type of bill has ever made any progress in KY.

The bill will now go to the Ky. House to start the process to pass it through the House soon. So we're reloading, charging batteries and looking for help.

Remember there are several powerful people using all resourses to stop this from going through! Now is the time to stike while the iron is hot! Help Kentucky to open up all State Parks to metal detecting.

Everyone in KY - we need representation in MANY DISTRICTS - not just the large cities.

I wish something like this would happen in Ga. How would one go about asking a official to start said process?

Back
Top Bottom