New (to me) ETrac epiphany.

I have seen so many people post this but I have not had it happen in 4+ years using the E-trac. Only time this happens for me is if iron is close to silver. If the silver is alone, even if it is on edge, the numbers never wander that much. I have found many dimes 8 to 10" deep and have had the thunk come into play many times but the fe #'s never go above 17. Is your soil very mineralized? Mine is not and perhaps that is why.

Your setting may have something to do with that. How tight or open is your disc pattern? If you don't let those FE 15-25 target numbers through, you can't see that FE variability on deep targets.

It could also just be your soil type, and maybe mine (and others) have higher mineralization which results in the bounce.

Blue, once you master that machine you'll be swinging one of the best machines going.

My hunting buddy uses one. He mastered it years ago and he does very well on any site.

Keep the Pro for rainy days and water hunting.
You'll have both land and sea covered.

Keep us posted on how the 2016 season goes. :cool:

I bought the book by Andy for the CTX and it has helped early on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Explorer/etrac tips

A good place is if a target stay below line 27 ferrous--- likely iron.

Now most times if you are getting a good steady tone and when you pivot 90 degrees and get a good tone--- more than likely you will notice the spot of detection iS unchanged. If it does likely iron.

Now just remember it is possible to get a good target that is close to iron to only produce a 2 way hit--- not a 4 way hit.

And these targets, watch for the following,

As you sweep with a somewhat consistent speed does the target tone in fairly consistently on each and every pass of the coil, if yes great sign of nonferrous target
And while sweeping watch the cursor. Does the cursor seem to stay most of the time above line 28 ferrous. Now while sweeping it can momentarily dip below line 27, but does it tend to stay there-- hang. If the cursor hangs below line 27-- likely iron.

Now I want you to understand most of your detected nonferrous targets will report ferrous readings between 08-25.

And some of the info I provided above could be comsidered advance use-- as far as etrac goes.

But as you use your unit, you will eventually encounter situations ( possible targets) , where this info will have to be applied to make some successful recoveries.

What I'm say is is, sure one can dig the easy stuff pretty easily, but there will be those coins that will challenge the etrac more-- and you too.

And you being aware of this is good--- and down the road you'll be a better user of your detector.
Actually you might even be able to hunt behind another etrac user and find coins say they miss

And a lot of what I talked about above--- the deeper coins, you will see more vs the shallower.

Digging 7" deep coins with etrac in medium mineralized soil or lower is child's play-- compared to many other detectors.
So simple sometimes, i feel like it's cheating.
TNT, the info you provided is spot on. I use an SE, so our numbers are different, but everything else you said was deadly accurate. Especially the last part about 7" coins being child's play. LOL! It's actually very true.

TNT, the info you provided is spot on. I use an SE, so our numbers are different, but everything else you said was deadly accurate. Especially the last part about 7" coins being child's play. LOL! It's actually very true.

I try to help folks as much as I can.

Minelabs are a different animal of sorts, when coming off of more typical Vlf detectors. It is very easy for one to get discouraged.

But folks new to Minelab etrac/ CTX-- be patient and have faith.

All terrific coin machines--- all be it on the heavy side.

Just try this program once and let us know what you think:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=226633

Hey Scuba. I've had that pattern loaded for awhile now, it certainly lets a Minelab newbie concentrate on fewer sounds. I'm getting more and more comfortable with the Etrac. In fact Sunday I ran my battery down and swapped to my ATPro... Yikes! It sounded completely foreign and weird to me. So I take it from that episode, that my transition to the dark side is right on schedule. Just need more time, hurry up Spring!

Hey Scuba. I've had that pattern loaded for awhile now, it certainly lets a Minelab newbie concentrate on fewer sounds. I'm getting more and more comfortable with the Etrac. In fact Sunday I ran my battery down and swapped to my ATPro... Yikes! It sounded completely foreign and weird to me. So I take it from that episode, that my transition to the dark side is right on schedule. Just need more time, hurry up Spring!

Thank you for your input. I put it on my machine when I first got it over a year ago and haven't looked back. I think it is great on deep silver and wheat cents.

I am hoping it will help lots of others get over the so called learning curve. It works great.

Back
Top Bottom