• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

old maps produce backyard find...

(Heavy)

Elite Member
Someone linked this the other day and i used it to see my property. Thank you so much for the historical aerial maps dating back to 1939.

http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?op=home

As i rolled back time on a split screen overlay i watched in amazement as the city fell away year after year around my home. Soon my house was one of only two on the block (model homes) then it really got weird.

My home was gone, the highway behind my house became a dirt road and heavy traffic trails that looked like animal paths converged on my back lot to a single point agaist the dirt road from all directions like a crossing... thats when I saw it :shock: Ten feet off the back fence of my half acre lot was a 30ft wide tunnel that ran under the elevated dirt road which is now a highway. Clear as day in 1939 and for years earlier (one can only guess how many years prior) my property was high traffic for everyone and anything that moved through that tunnel below the road. People, cattle, dear, horses and whatever crossed my property in high concentration went into that tunnels 30ft wide entrance (there is a feature that lets you scale distance). An adventure right out back of my house is waiting to be dug out :wow: The longitude and latitude are even given to mark the exact spot on the side of the hill in the 1939 map where the opening was.

So I told my neighbor and showed him the map since its right on our property lines. We are seriously thinking of breaking through whatever earth covers the entrance and going inside to see what's left to be seen. Unless they filled the entire length of the tunnel there is the span of a four lane parkway running underground across the expressway that will have been locked away and lost to human access for over 72 years. I wonder what can be found on the floor of that tunnel.... i wonder ;)

I'll help you dig if you need any? That is really cool. Been using that site for months. It's great!

I'll help you dig if you need any? That is really cool. Been using that site for months. It's great!

It runs under 53 just south of Boughton road, First I plan to go to the library and get more detail if possible. Of course my back yard now has my full attention (havent even MD'ed yet LOL) I know you are close so if my son and I decide to start the dig, there is this little issue that it's actually 10 feet beyond the fences which technically makes it city property. I don't want to make the papers and I know the Mayor has done me fav's in the past (like letting me ride segway everywhere) but this might have to be a stealth project between neighbor, myself and you. Lets don't get killed in a cave OK.

that would really suck!
imagesCAIJZKN4.jpg

WOW! I am close to you too Chicago!! That map tool is awesome!! I like the slide option. If you need any help, I am less than 10 minutes away. I have been looking at several locations based on that map as I am new to this. I don't remember who posted the link but my thanks to whomever did.

This helped me find like 4 more old spots to detect (so far), thanks much.

geez Bob, even if you don't pursue the tunnel aspect of it, your own back yard still sounds like it has lots of potential...! :shock:
i wish there were maps like that for this area of the world. :no:

Pete

Inquiring minds want to know....

Someone linked this the other day and i used it to see my property. Thank you so much for the historical aerial maps dating back to 1939.

http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?op=home

As i rolled back time on a split screen overlay i watched in amazement as the city fell away year after year around my home. Soon my house was one of only two on the block (model homes) then it really got weird.

My home was gone, the highway behind my house became a dirt road and heavy traffic trails that looked like animal paths converged on my back lot to a single point agaist the dirt road from all directions like a crossing... thats when I saw it :shock: Ten feet off the back fence of my half acre lot was a 30ft wide tunnel that ran under the elevated dirt road which is now a highway. Clear as day in 1939 and for years earlier (one can only guess how many years prior) my property was high traffic for everyone and anything that moved through that tunnel below the road. People, cattle, dear, horses and whatever crossed my property in high concentration went into that tunnels 30ft wide entrance (there is a feature that lets you scale distance). An adventure right out back of my house is waiting to be dug out :wow: The longitude and latitude are even given to mark the exact spot on the side of the hill in the 1939 map where the opening was.

So I told my neighbor and showed him the map since its right on our property lines. We are seriously thinking of breaking through whatever earth covers the entrance and going inside to see what's left to be seen. Unless they filled the entire length of the tunnel there is the span of a four lane parkway running underground across the expressway that will have been locked away and lost to human access for over 72 years. I wonder what can be found on the floor of that tunnel.... i wonder ;)

How did this turn out? I have been wondering if you found that the other end came up someplace less than pleasant.
Just curious.
HH,
John Morton

Back
Top Bottom