Oh nooooooooo!!!

georgeinsc

Elite Member
Had to have some beach therapy yesterday. So even though the wind was howling and the temps were in the 40's I thought maybe the detecting Gods would have mercy on me and allow me to find something Good.

Tide was incoming and the water is still a bit cool. But i was finding some targets in the wash zone and was working as fast as possible to get them before the water got too deep.

Had a odd shaped piece come out of the sand and I rubbed some of the accumulation of crud off it and could see what i thought was Spanish Markings. Heart rate was elevated. So in the pouch it went as i finished my detecting with high hopes.

After I got home i did some cleaning and could see what i thought was a Spanish Cob. Dated 1731. Did some communication with my Brother In Law and his twin brother and we all came to the conclusion that I in fact had found a Spanish Coin. Elated would be putting it mildly.

Decided yesterday evening to finish cleaning the coin and my heart sank when out from under the crud the word "Copy" emerged. My wife thought something was wrong when i Yelled NOOOOOOOOO.

I am not certain but that might be enough to make a preacher Curse.

Attachments

• DSC01044.JPG
    DSC01044.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 615
  • DSC01045.JPG
    DSC01045.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 616
I have found 2 of those over the years so I can really relate to your disappointment. One was here during some major erosion during a tropical storm and the other was in the Keys.

I Feel

Your pain bro., as i hunted 5 week's-2 different year's-on Florida's treasure coast, only to find a modern 18k ring, just like your experience in a one day hunt, very disappointing, Earl

Sorry but that one was just to distinct. First thing I check is the side to see if there is a mold line. Ive gotten a few now but all were jewelry from the fisher museum. Evey thing like thatone were aluminum

That's just the warmup for the real thing, a real one will come your way hopefully

Real ones found on the beach are rarely pretty unless a storm suddenly kicks it out of protective cover. I found a half reale that's ugly but it's real.

A real half reale. The other side is toasted.

Attachments

• IMG_1386.JPG
    IMG_1386.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 516
Good story and I can only imagine the excitement while cleaning..

I would be happy to find a "copy" of one here in the Bay. :shock:

I found one a few years ago, too.
Real excited for a second, then I saw the word copy.

Kellyco gave tons of these kinds of heartbreakers away for years in their "free" packages when you ordered a detector.

Well, that's just wrong.....

oh man i can feel the heart ache from here! I hope you get a real one next time!

my heart sank when out from under the crud the word "Copy" emerged. ...I am not certain but that might be enough to make a preacher Curse.

:laughing: :lol: I hear ya. In historic St. Augustine, there are dozens of pirate and novelty shops that sell them. So far, I've found four on beaches and one in a park. Its like finding a silver/CZ engagement ring. Booo. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom