Surf PI Pro

DbblTap

Elite Member
I just got off of eBay a White's Surf PI Pro and I will be using it at the beach.

What should I expect and does anyone have any advice or tips to make it easy to use?

Thanks and HH

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I love the PI PRO did you get the one with the neutral buoyancy coil or the black one?

Just turn it on and go... a lot of hunters didn't like it because the pulse delay is automatic but I loved it.. the faster you swung it the deeper it went... my first 3 gold this year was with the Pro then I gave it back to its owner :D

Its got a nice steady smooth threshold... its only drawback are the headphones tape over the weep holes so you can keep out the wind noise..

Its a PI so you will dig it all...

I just got off of eBay a White's Surf PI Pro and I will be using it at the beach.

What should I expect and does anyone have any advice or tips to make it easy to use?

Thanks and HH

if there is alot of trash and iron on beach dont use it they are great on clean beaches good luck

Congrats on the new machine DT.
Thanks ! I am looking forward to using it on the beach with my new scoop. I think I should get a shovel too to help dig open holes for my scoop.

I love the PI PRO did you get the one with the neutral buoyancy coil or the black one?

Just turn it on and go... a lot of hunters didn't like it because the pulse delay is automatic but I loved it.. the faster you swung it the deeper it went... my first 3 gold this year was with the Pro then I gave it back to its owner :D

Its got a nice steady smooth threshold... its only drawback are the headphones tape over the weep holes so you can keep out the wind noise..

Its a PI so you will dig it all...
I have been hearing alot about PI machines and just waited for one that I could afford. I want to get into some water hunting this year.

if there is alot of trash and iron on beach dont use it they are great on clean beaches good luck
Where I will be using them there will be alot of trash in certain areas. I got a beach no PI MD that I can use to go back over trashy areas with.

I just got off of eBay a White's Surf PI Pro and I will be using it at the beach. What should I expect and does anyone have any advice or tips to make it easy to use?

If you live in an area with lots of trash my best advice is start going to the gym. Lot's of bicep/tricep/shoulder workouts. In addition, greatly strengthen your abdominal muscles to support your back. Make sure you get the biggest quality pvc mesh finds pouch that you can buy too! Another very useful tip is buying lots of the product below. You can save some money and go with generic ibuprofen. The recommended dosage in the US is 400 mgs., but in Spain on my 500+ mile summer hikes I learned that its 600 mgs. and that's much more effective! Good luck!!

Attachments

• Advil.jpeg
    Advil.jpeg
    27.8 KB · Views: 825
If you live in an area with lots of trash my best advice is start going to the gym. Lot's of bicep/tricep/shoulder workouts. In addition, greatly strengthen your abdominal muscles to support your back. Make sure you get the biggest quality pvc mesh finds pouch that you can buy too! Another very useful tip is buying lots of the product below. You can save some money and go with generic ibuprofen. The recommended dosage in the US is 400 mgs., but in Spain on my 500+ mile summer hikes I learned that its 600 mgs. and that's much more effective! Good luck!!
Advils and Aleve is what I live on now and when I get beat up I pack it up and make a mental note of the area.

I just got off of eBay a White's Surf PI Pro and I will be using it at the beach.What should I expect and does anyone have any advice or tips to make it easy to use?
Congrats! What was the final bid?

I had several PIs but recently bought a Surf Pro too. As mentioned it has a Self Adjusting Threshold (SAT). So when you transition from dry to wet sand or wet sand to submerged, it takes 1-2 seconds to balance....then it works great. Here is the manual in case you didn't get one.

The machine is sensitive. Don't be surprised when you start finding small dental gold (fillings), rivits from jeans, stud earings and small stuff like shredded aluminum cans (1/8" big) that you really have to search for.

One thing I noticed on this machine are faint/whisper signals. Signals that are deep or small mass are often a lower volume than big chunks of iron. For example, a dime on the surface will be loud. A dime 12" down will be medium. There are also some unique volumes generated from rings, especially if they are broken. Your best best is to bring a few of your own targets, bury them and bury them at different depths, then scan the target. It will help you understand what the machine is telling you.

Before you submerge it, put some paper towel in the battery compartment, seal it back up and then submerge it in your bath tub or a pool. Shake the detector, turn it upside down and side to side. AFter 30 minutes, remove it and check for leaks. THe paper towel is quick give away. Or you could simply buy another o-ring. I called White's and they forwarded me to "Warren @ Warrens Metal Detectors". He had the replacement O-ring (seal) for $5, and also has replacement clamps for the sides. He does repairs too....just save his info for future reference.

Best O' Luck!

What David said about small finds couldn't be more true... my first 2 weeks with the PRO I was finding staples off of paper down over a foot... it drove me so crazy I wanted to chuck the detector out into the water... then I found my first gold ring in the 3rd week and the next day 3 more and all the frustration vanished :D

Best advice is learn what a deep round signal sounds like.. what a double beep and chatty response is. With enough time and practise your ear and brain will have better discrimination than a ctx. But it takes time... there are no short cuts to experience

First detector was the White's Dual Field. Solid machine, no water intrusion issues and deep. But yes it is a workout if you have a trashy beach, flakes of iron off old ships, nails, rivets, spark plugs, pieces of fence, mesh, wire, nuts and bolts :) If you have a lot of competition the depth on a PI is awesome, hopefully they will clean out some of the garbage for you and just leave the deep gold :)

Best advice is learn what a deep round signal sounds like.. what a double beep and chatty response is. With enough time and practise your ear and brain will have better discrimination than a ctx. But it takes time... there are no short cuts to experience

You don't get that roundness with the PI PRO... the DF sure...

I haven't used the pro. For me the Df was a bit to chatty to get a definitive id If I remember correctly. The tdi With an 8x14 coil is very accurate in its responses

Mine chattered but I ran my gain wide open and just used the pulse delay just clicked out of factory.. I liked the DF what I didn't like was returning it 3 times because the coils kept failing.

Found all of this (sans sub) on one hunt last year with the White's PI Pro:
picture.php

This was after a big winter storm came through with the right combination of swell, tides and wind. A lot of it was in the black sand where other detectors have trouble operating. "Double beeps" in 1 direction are almost always junk (nails, Bobbie pins, etc.). I use re-chargeable AA batteries with both my PI machines and they work great! If you don't know there is a volume adjustment pot on the inside of the detector right as you remove the cover. GL&HH!

If you don't know there is a volume adjustment pot on the inside of the detector right as you remove the cover. GL&HH!
Never noticed, thanks for the tip!!! ....and of course, that was some mighty nice results from the PI

Mine chattered but I ran my gain wide open and just used the pulse delay just clicked out of factory.. I liked the DF what I didn't like was returning it 3 times because the coils kept failing.

Craig...I want Whites to make the DF with a 9 inch epoxy filled coil or one similar to the Pro. I liked the gain and delay features on it.

I would buy one in a minute. That 12 inch coil is way too big, too buoyant and yup...has problems leaking.

Back
Top Bottom