Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Lost and Found

Old 03-25-2018, 10:37 PM
Elite Member

Don't post it on cragislist, people will drive you insane saying it belongs to them.
If you decide to research and return do not expect much, maybe not even a thank you...

Old 03-26-2018, 11:19 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
Gotta Love it! When a person takes up this Sport, sooner or later, a person will wrestle with this subject...Lots of cool and uncool posts about 'return' attempts....

Each Return Attempt is an experience in your Life you will have never gotten otherwise...Some are worth the effort, some are not, some are very depressing, some are Lifechangers, some are break evens, some are loss leaders and a depressing kick to the pills...

Ya just never know! No Right or Wrong here, no Moral Highroad to rigidly ascribe to....Roll with it on a case by case basis..

So, Now, after the experiences and moral/mental wrestling events...

What I do is, I dwell on it a little...Let my heart and the find speak to me a little bit for a week or more before I take any further action...Hey...I have it in hand, the 'loser' is no more out than they were a week ago, so I have a clear mind to make the 'right decision' in my corner and what happens is only up to only ME...

Yeah..Its all about ME at this point...I bought this gear, put in the time, learned this skill, got up early, burned gas, and 'accidentally' found this lost item...At this point, I am not under any obligation to 'do the right thing' to nobody but myself, and when it comes to this, I am my own worst enemy...

I do like an appreciative 'Lost Item' recipient...one who respects my effort/skills and recompenses accordingly...or at least may 'pay it forward' to some poor but deserving b'tard....

I'ma gonna need some mercy someday from a Stranger! Doubt I will get it, never seems to happen to me...but I sure have given it and am well deserving...'Karma' is wasted on smelly hitchhiker Hippys, so no help to me there....In the end of the matter, for a Free Ranger in a World all alone...

I Probably shoulda just kept the gold and called it quits! ..still..a guy has some intrigue and compassion to figure out a find...just for curiosities sake if nothing else..might make a major difference in somebodies Life.....Ya just never know what the next ping will be....

A nice dirty Q is a better find than a moral wrestling event!..I hate to take on myself! Even though I know my weaknesses, I'm up against a crazy no account who doesnt ascribe to the Marquesse de Queensbury rules! That can take a baseball bat straight to the noggin! Has a left hook!...I generally run away from myself if I can...Ah, the joy in finding peaceful little parking lot pennies..

Melt it!

Who's that funny looking guy photobombing all those good looking people?

Old 03-30-2018, 06:35 PM
Supporter

Well, it all depends. I would try to return to owner if possible. Otherwise keep it for your collection.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:44 PM

Darn it. I poked around on FB and found some classmates. The owner was found within the hour.
Waiting for him to message me back.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:49 PM
Freshwater Shark

Originally Posted by Walrus350 View post
Darn it. I poked around on FB and found some classmates. The owner was found within the hour.
Waiting for him to message me back.
Reread my first post. Do what you feel is right and don't look back.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by ScubaDetector View post
Reread my first post. Do what you feel is right and don't look back.
Yeah, it makes an awesome trophy.
But has little melt value. I don't even think twice about any ring without identifying marks, but this one was nagging at me.
I'm hoping he coughs up a little reward I can use towards a Nox.
If not, it's just me paying it forward after someone hunted me down on FB after losing my wallet before I even realized it was gone.
Thanks for the advice.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by zeemang View post
Don't post it on cragislist, people will drive you insane saying it belongs to them.
If you decide to research and return do not expect much, maybe not even a thank you...
I just posted it was a ring and what area it was found. They have to respond knowing the description.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:01 PM
Freshwater Shark

Originally Posted by Walrus350 View post
Yeah, it makes an awesome trophy.
But has little melt value. I don't even think twice about any ring without identifying marks, but this one was nagging at me.
I'm hoping he coughs up a little reward I can use towards a Nox.
If not, it's just me paying it forward after someone hunted me down on FB after losing my wallet before I even realized it was gone.
Thanks for the advice.
Get your post count up and join the contest for a Nox. Everything you need in one small package. As long as it isn't won tonight!

Old 04-06-2018, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by ScubaDetector View post
Get your post count up and join the contest for a Nox. Everything you need in one small package. As long as it isn't won tonight!
164 more to go....

Old 04-06-2018, 10:04 PM