If you decide to dump dig railroad sites -

Orlando, that is too cool! And the rr clock is a great idea, wish I could figure out a project for rr spikes. I have literally a big plastic bucket full. And most of them came out of my yard!

Its still snowing here in Colorado(mts that is) and I don't know if I'll be able to grade walk until July.

so rail roads are good places to detect and not get into trouble?

I can't speak for other areas, but here in Jacksonville you can not trespass on the active lines. If it's an abandoned it's OK. The railroads do it for safety reasons and of late security reasons too. They will chase you off and you can be arrested for trespassing. I'm not certain, but I believe the other posters are speaking of those abandoned rail line that are around.

The most desireable lines are the abandoned ones - no problems there. The ones still in use = they dont want you on them . RR workers have told us several times to stay off the tracks but along them is ok. And for the most part we dont desire to be on them. The things we are looking for are usually not on the tracks. Steve in so az

a cople days a go i hunted along a rail road and found like four smashed pennys and dimes and a couple rail road spikes, is that good for a rail road?

I've never found any money along the rails, so I would consider that a good day. Spikes seem to sprout out of the ground like mushrooms-if you keep rail hunting you'll end up with a pretty good spike collection.

I was out yesterday with the detector along the roadway in front of an old roundhouse. Unfortunately the ground is so rocky that it is virtually impossible to dig in. I'll have to come up with an alternate plan if I want to search around there any more.

What to look for

Here's what the real value in finds is along old RR lines. These are date nails - hammered into the ties when laid to tell how long they were there at a later date. These are from the early 1900's.

This 1903 was eyeballed by my wife and could sell easily for $100.00.

This 1906 is very rare and is worth around $300.00. I found it at a site that we walked into about one mile. The marks on the shanks, the year it is and the condition determine the value. One can find them along the tracks, in fence posts, in dumps alonmg the Rr. Steve in so az

Attachments

• date nail set.jpg
    date nail set.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 164
  • date nail 3.jpg
    date nail 3.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 161
  • date nail 6.jpg
    date nail 6.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 162
WOW Dorothy said "the next time I go looking for happieness I'll look no further than my own back yard" or something like that. I have a dump site on the edge of my woods, out of site out of mind. I have lived here since 98, and one of the things I wanted to do someday was bury all that junk. I will now postpone that project. I have an old rail car in the pasture that was appparently used to store hay bails, and an old building that was moved out here from the railroad, or so I was told. I do not know what the family connection to the railroad was. The property was in the same family until I purchased it, but I don't know if someone worked for the railroad, or just knew how to buy thier surplus. Mulvane has a RR museum, I may need to go speak to the historian.

Thanks for all the neat information!

cb

Back
Top Bottom