New site in the field gives up some nice relics

upstatedigger

Forum Supporter
Today I hit a new site in the fields along an old road that I have been working my way down. The homesites along this road are where some for the first settlement in the area occurred. Yesterday I met and got permission from the next farmer down the line. His land holds three old homesites. Today I started investigating the first. One minute in first target was a flat button. I liked this site as it seemed to hold less junk, less nails and more interesting targets. Take for the day of keepers were a bunch of flat buttons, including and 1830's NY Excelsior button, 1907 IH, 1919 Wheatie, good sized silver spoon, small spoon (aluminum? baby?), pocketknife, shot through belt buckle (gut shot, hopefully not!), shield looking thing (inside brass ring in photo, anybody got any ideas?), red dome reflector(upper right of cleaned photo. I thought it was some gaudy jewelry at first).

Fun hunt, was able to stay out for about an hour and 45 min.....Cant wait to really grid this site.

Attachments

• photo 1-11.jpg
    photo 1-11.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 321
  • photo 2-11.JPG
    photo 2-11.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 320
  • photo 3-7.JPG
    photo 3-7.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 318
  • photo 4-4.JPG
    photo 4-4.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 311
  • photo 5-2.JPG
    photo 5-2.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 309
  • photo-73.JPG
    photo-73.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 323
great button , clean it up they usually have a heavy silver plating on them and yours looks like it will shine up nice

great button , clean it up they usually have a heavy silver plating on them and yours looks like it will shine up nice

Yep..the back has a lot of silver intact. We'll see how cleanup goes. Any suggestions?

Also think I am going to hit that big iron oval with electrolysis. It looks like it has a spiral twist to it.

some diluted clr and water will work well on these type of buttons , you take a toothbrush and brush on the solution only for a few seconds (until it foams and discolors) then rinse. repeat until your happy.

if you have no clr then lemon juice can work on them too.

Back
Top Bottom