Flying Eagle Cent

Digger-Dave

Forum Supporter
You can't tell by the rough photography and rough looking coin, but this is an 1856 to 1858 Flying Eagle Cent.

It saw a hard life before someone dropped it and the ground was not it's friend either.

It goes to work tomorrow where I can get it under a decent microscope. Just curious what year we are looking at.

It's not worth squat, but a bucket list coin is a bucket list coin! :yes:

Attachments

• IMG_0129 R.jpg
    IMG_0129 R.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_0133 R.jpg
    IMG_0133 R.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 293
look at the bright side: At least you have a fighting chance at a flying eagle cent where you're at east of the mississippi. Most guys here in CA have never found one. Yet over where you're at, LC's , colonial coppers, busts, etc... are brimming out of every sandbox ! :laughing:

Great find. Those FEs don't show themselves too often! Congrats.

Great find. Most likely 1858. There were only 2500 of the 1856 minted and they went to collectors. Still hoping to find my first.

look at the bright side: At least you have a fighting chance at a flying eagle cent where you're at east of the mississippi. Most guys here in CA have never found one. Yet over where you're at, LC's , colonial coppers, busts, etc... are brimming out of every sandbox ! :laughing:

Yeah, you know, we find so many colonial coppers, we use them to balance our furniture and throw them at raccoons and the like to keep them out of our yard. Hell, I am almost finished coating my new car with capped bust dimes. Damn things pop up almost as much as zincolns. We really just consider them "nuisance" coins.

Now, let us talk about all of the gold coins that show up west of the Rockies... We don't find many out this way. I hear you guys use them in stone skipping contests, especially the double eagles. Heard someone skipped one 57 times.

Great find. Most likely 1858. There were only 2500 of the 1856 minted and they went to collectors. Still hoping to find my first.

Yeah, you know, we find so many colonial coppers, we use them to balance our furniture and throw them at raccoons and the like to keep them out of our yard....

Now, let us talk about all of the gold coins that show up west of the Rockies... We don't find many out this way. I hear you guys use them in stone skipping contests, especially the double eagles. Heard someone skipped one 57 times.

:lol: :lol:

We are always in banter with our western members about this. :lol: ;)

Many poor Yankee farmers couldn't even afford gold wedding bands or a decent gravestone. We are fortunate enough to find what we do.

As far as old coins go, look at what our members in England find in those old fields. Roman coins and English coins that pre-date America by a real long time are common there. :cool: :wow:

Back
Top Bottom