What size of plugs do you dig?

Pennypacker

Permanent vacation
Out of curiosity, I was wondering what size diameter plugs you guys are digging.

It is not meant to be a contest, more like a poll, so don't feel pressured to say a smaller size.
This question assumes using the typical "hand digger".

Also if you do use a "full sized" digger on occasion, do you dig the same diameter plug as you would with a hand digger?

Do you dig the same sized plug regardless of coil type? (Cones, DD, large and small etc)

OK so that is actually three questions.

Depends on how tight the signal is and how deep. On average "3 to 4".
Dig one vertical slice on each side of target toward me, then one across from end to end closest to me. Then fold back away from me.
Rarely dig a plug more than 6" to 7".

Is your plug is actually a squarish "U" shaped flap as opposed to a round plug, or do your slices kinda curve to make a roundish "C" type flap?

Thank you sir.

I do horseshoe shaped(like the game of horseshoes not the shape horses wear). For coins in a lawn, slightly larger than the palm of my hand and about the depth of my digger blade. If digging fields, woods or foundations for relics, I dig a hole the depth and diameter of a milk jug. Once in a while I will cut a slit, or just pop coins out with my finger, but the moisture and soil type have to be just right.

I did perfect circle plugs always with a spade. Usually around 5 inches around. My rule of thumb is the nicer the lawn the larger the plug. Large plugs can hide any activity of digging. Smaller plugs always show where you have been. I can did a large plug and then go much deeper in the hole, up to 15 inches. refill and settle the plug and you can not even tell I was there. Look away and then look back and you will not be able to find the spot where u just dug. (Soil depending, I live in rich farm land soil yards.)

Depends on my location and target size and depth. If I'm coin shooting and in a public park etc. I use a gasket scraper and make a small slit. If I'm on plowed field and relic hunting I use my Predator tools raven shovel and dig a plug the size of the shovel which is about a 4" round plug and lastly general hunting using a predator tools #85 or lesche I usually cut a small u shaped flap.

I did perfect circle plugs always with a spade. Usually around 5 inches around. My rule of thumb is the nicer the lawn the larger the plug. Large plugs can hide any activity of digging. Smaller plugs always show where you have been. I can did a large plug and then go much deeper in the hole, up to 15 inches. refill and settle the plug and you can not even tell I was there. Look away and then look back and you will not be able to find the spot where u just dug. (Soil depending, I live in rich farm land soil yards.)

Interesting, I can see how the larger hole may make the border less noticeable.

Depends on my location and target size and depth. If I'm coin shooting and in a public park etc. I use a gasket scraper and make a small slit. If I'm on plowed field and relic hunting I use my Predator tools raven shovel and dig a plug the size of the shovel which is about a 4" round plug and lastly general hunting using a predator tools #85 or lesche I usually cut a small u shaped flap.

This is also interesting, I have never really heard of that technique before. (Gasket scraper).
Any tips to avoid hitting the coin? Like trying to slice just to the side of the target?

I do horseshoe shaped(like the game of horseshoes not the shape horses wear). For coins in a lawn, slightly larger than the palm of my hand and about the depth of my digger blade. If digging fields, woods or foundations for relics, I dig a hole the depth and diameter of a milk jug. Once in a while I will cut a slit, or just pop coins out with my finger, but the moisture and soil type have to be just right.

I use the same U technique for lawns with a Lesche. Most plugs are just wider than my palm for deeper targets. Shallow targets same thing. In the woods I still use the Lesche, paint can size hole and pruners for stubborn roots.

Thank you.

So far I am surprised at the smaller sizes.
I guess I typically dig a 5"- 6" round plug.
Perhaps it is a carry-over from doing a lot of relic hunting with a tree spade or M43 military shovel, as they are approximately that size.

As mentioned by JRinkus, the wider hole allows me to go a little deeper easier, if need be. I guess in the long run might save a little time.

I know I will get killed for this, BUT --

I use a Lesche 38D "King of Spades" (i.e. the Ground Shark 38) digger anywhere I can get away with it. I know that to some, using this kind of digger in a public place is "anathema," and I'm sure I will get called names for admitting this. But, that's OK. I do it for a reason -- I feel I can dig the best, cleanest plug possible with this digger, and replace it with the least amount of damage to the turf, and leaving nearly no trace that a hole was ever dug.

I know that some folks think that being seen with such a digger in a public place, that people would freak out and the spots would be "shut down" immediately. I'm sure that is true in some places. In the places I hunt though (here in Oklahoma, and in western PA), I've never had a problem. I am fully prepared to explain the "why" as to my choice to use this digger, should anyone ever confront me on it; I like to think that after I show that my reason is actually to KEEP from doing turf damage, not to "tear up the park," and possibly demonstrate how I cut a plug, that it would "defuse" any issues. So far though, I've never HAD an issue...which says something to me.

Now, with that said, I DO try and "feel the place out" a bit; I don't use this digger EVERYWHERE. I exercise at least SOME common sense, and try to gauge the area I'm in, the possible "attitude" of the neighborhood, etc. Dirt type matters, also. Wet, clayish dirt allows you to dig a GREAT plug with that type of shovel. Dry, crumbly dirt, not so much. So, I alter technique/tools accordingly. But, overall, I still fall back to the idea that in my mind, look at how they cut a new "cup" on a golf course green. They don't do it with a hand-held digger, they do it with a large, rounded "cutter." That's what I try to emulate with my 38D...

That said -- to answer the original question, my plugs are usually circular and about 5-6" in diameter...and usually deeper than the target. I try to dig deeper plugs than necessary (at least, for shallower targets); I try to go at least 6" to 8" deep, to keep as much root system intact as possible. If my target is in the plug, I simply crack it in half with my hands, retrieve the target, put the plug "back together," and then drop it back in the hole. It works well for me.

Steve

I agree with your sentiments. It pretty much sums up my opinion on the larger shovels.

That being said I am sometimes lately I am a little self-conscious when out MDing and have been using a hand digger at public areas, or even in the proximity of other detectorists, at the detriment to plug quality.

At abandoned schoolyards etc I enjoy using a tree spade etc. Most time I can usually get the target out of the hole before I ever have to bend over.
It's almost a luxury.

I agree with your sentiments. It pretty much sums up my opinion on the larger shovels.

That being said I am sometimes lately I am a little self-conscious when out MDing and have been using a hand digger at public areas, or even in the proximity of other detectorists, at the detriment to plug quality.

At abandoned schoolyards etc I enjoy using a tree spade etc. Most time I can usually get the target out of the hole before I ever have to bend over.
It's almost a luxury.

I understand the "self-conscious" thing, Pennypacker, and like I said, I do try and "feel out" the area, soil conditions, etc., when making my decision. So, I guess in a way, that's the same kind of thought that you are expressing.

I am aware that pulling out that type of shovel can carry a "stigma" in the minds of some onlookers, and I try to consider that. But, on the other hand, if anyone ever does approach, I am also prepared to explain the "why," as I said, and to demonstrate cutting a plug with that shovel; I really feel that minds could be changed, if I were given a chance to demonstrate/explain.

One more point; I do alot of my hunting at "low traffic" times, sometimes even at night, and these are times when I WILL use the larger digger. I KNOW that I'm leaving virtually no trace, and since there aren't many onlookers around to wonder, or be concerned, that's a great time to use this method. Meanwhile, if its a case of "middle of the day, in a busy town, in the high-end part of town, at the well-groomed public park, with dry crumbly soil?" That'd be a "hand digger" day...

Steve

I make the determination according to the target....usually smaller, unless I feel the target maybe long or larger than a coin...

Average plug...3 to 4 inch diameter. 50% of the clad I find requires no plug at all.

HDD

I know I will get killed for this, BUT --

I use a Lesche 38D "King of Spades" (i.e. the Ground Shark 38) digger anywhere I can get away with it. I know that to some, using this kind of digger in a public place is "anathema," and I'm sure I will get called names for admitting this. But, that's OK. I do it for a reason -- I feel I can dig the best, cleanest plug possible with this digger, and replace it with the least amount of damage to the turf, and leaving nearly no trace that a hole was ever dug.

I know that some folks think that being seen with such a digger in a public place, that people would freak out and the spots would be "shut down" immediately. I'm sure that is true in some places. In the places I hunt though (here in Oklahoma, and in western PA), I've never had a problem. I am fully prepared to explain the "why" as to my choice to use this digger, should anyone ever confront me on it; I like to think that after I show that my reason is actually to KEEP from doing turf damage, not to "tear up the park," and possibly demonstrate how I cut a plug, that it would "defuse" any issues. So far though, I've never HAD an issue...which says something to me.

Now, with that said, I DO try and "feel the place out" a bit; I don't use this digger EVERYWHERE. I exercise at least SOME common sense, and try to gauge the area I'm in, the possible "attitude" of the neighborhood, etc. Dirt type matters, also. Wet, clayish dirt allows you to dig a GREAT plug with that type of shovel. Dry, crumbly dirt, not so much. So, I alter technique/tools accordingly. But, overall, I still fall back to the idea that in my mind, look at how they cut a new "cup" on a golf course green. They don't do it with a hand-held digger, they do it with a large, rounded "cutter." That's what I try to emulate with my 38D...

That said -- to answer the original question, my plugs are usually circular and about 5-6" in diameter...and usually deeper than the target. I try to dig deeper plugs than necessary (at least, for shallower targets); I try to go at least 6" to 8" deep, to keep as much root system intact as possible. If my target is in the plug, I simply crack it in half with my hands, retrieve the target, put the plug "back together," and then drop it back in the hole. It works well for me.

Steve

I agree that a larger digger makes for less fuss and less muss. I use a Mini Shovel from Harbor Freight and that's ALL I use. In fact I just bought a third one. These are 27" long with a 6" blade. It's lightweight, strong and can handle virtually anything I'm likely to come across. When I fill in a dig it's virtually invisible.

But I usually don't dig a plug. I pinpoint where the target is likely to be and pull back 2-3 inches and push the digger in and lift enough to split the ground. I insert my pinpointer and can usually retrieve the target. Then simply push everything back together BUT I take the blade of the digger and "chop" the surface and the seam folds and flattens nicely and is virtually untraceable. When it rains the water flows into the chops and penetrates the soil which greatly aids the grass recovery.

Oh the best part about the Mini Shovel? $8.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 399
That's not a bad looking shovel at all, ChipK...looks like it would do a very similar job as mine does. And, I hear you on that recovery style...I've done something similar on shallower targets as well. Usually, I will "flip the plug back" a little more than you described, but indeed there are times I don't cut the full plug but instead just on one or two sides, and lift to "break" the ground and flip up the plug a bit. I usually cut the "full plug" on deeper targets...

Steve

I dig a 1" diameter hole if I get a PP of one inch. I dig a 6" hole if I get a six inch PP. I've watched tectors go to an automatic, full ram into the ground when using a Sampson shovel, on ALL their digs. It just looks bad to the publics eyes to stand there and force a shovel with your foot, while standing erect, when you only have an inch or two on a target.

I do use a mini shovel, not a Lesche, even though I keep one in the car. I make a neater hole with the mini than a lesche.

I mostly use a screwdriver. Right now I'm not digging inland at all. We haven't had rain and the grass dies just mowing. But its rare we dig old coins. And gold or silver rings get melted.

Back
Top Bottom