Wildgame Innovations (AKA: Ground EFX)

Blipstar

Hello, I'm fairly new to the boards here and had a question about a detector purchase. The Wildgame Innovation Swarm MX100 is obviously nothing I'd look at. Just the color alone is enough. Also, in that price range you can't expect much of anything. However, I did see a new pair of detectors from Wildgame Innovations (WGI Ltd.) The MX300 and MX400 with GPS. Now I'm not necessarily a bells and whistles kind of guy and the GPS doesn't do anything for me but the display looks very sweet and the design very comfortable. The price at Optics Planet for the MX400 is $359.00. Upon speaking with an agent there, they only have the one picture of the unit and none available yet. They just posted the product a few days ago. Here's the question, does anyone have any indication that this higher end, higher cost series will fare better than the low end MX100? Has anyone seen or used one?
I assume (not always a good thing) that the higher cost MX300, MX400 should lend some better technology to the unit. Any opinions are welcomed!
Thanks! :)

Hello, I'm fairly new to the boards here and had a question about a detector purchase. The Wildgame Innovation Swarm MX100 is obviously nothing I'd look at. Just the color alone is enough. Also, in that price range you can't expect much of anything. However, I did see a new pair of detectors from Wildgame Innovations (WGI Ltd.) The MX300 and MX400 with GPS. Now I'm not necessarily a bells and whistles kind of guy and the GPS doesn't do anything for me but the display looks very sweet and the design very comfortable. The price at Optics Planet for the MX400 is $359.00. Upon speaking with an agent there, they only have the one picture of the unit and none available yet. They just posted the product a few days ago. Here's the question, does anyone have any indication that this higher end, higher cost series will fare better than the low end MX100? Has anyone seen or used one?
I assume (not always a good thing) that the higher cost MX300, MX400 should lend some better technology to the unit. Any opinions are welcomed!
Thanks! :)

We have had them for a few months now. PIJOE tested it out as well as a few other guys. In the end the Ol saying goes "you get what you pay for". You can even use a Minelab Battery pack thats how similar it is. The pack it comes with is a dead ringer for Minelabs. To be honest it does have allot of really nice features but it missed its mark particularly in actually working , :lol:. The head tilts it has a super bright back-light, GPS and cam locks. It's way too heavy and the coil attachment looks like a plastic complicated mess. But , if it actually worked and gave true readings it would be desirable. We do offer them but they are for the absolute beginner. I would rate it as a Kids detector someone about the age of 8-10 years of age as the bells and whistles would keep their attention going and interested in the hobby. Heck all the falseing it does will keep the kids busy for hours.
The Compadre will smoke this detector in performance and its priced equally . This is a case where they put money in gadgetry and not an actual working detector that and having it made in China.

The company that is selling them actually makes game camera's for hunting they are out of Texas I believe.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=124481

I wouldn't go near any of these with a 10 foot pole.
Stick to name brands that are NOT made in China and you will probably do much better over the long run.

Look at Fisher, White's, Minelab, Technetics, Garrett, or a brand that is low tech in most of their line but still finds a huge amount of treasure, Tesoro.

Most are lighter, easy to swing, easy to fix and have real warranties.
Probably all work way better than this "complicated mess", too.

GPS is a nice feature, but I have an android phone and free apps that can track and record all that data and much more for me if I need it.
If I spend money on a detector I would want most of that money to be put to use on build quality and features that would actually help to find me more treasure...not gimmicks and unneeded bells and whistles.

Strange... I have a trail camera in my backyard, made by Wildgame Innovations. I had no idea they made metal detectors, just hunting stuff. The trail camera works pretty good, about 3 months on 4 x 6000 mAH NiMh batteries. There is some motion blur, but most of the pictures are clear and clean, day or night. Only critters it's caught, are me, mostly the dog. Don't think it's a total junk company, but then again, I don't know how much was paid, it was given to me. I don't hunt, so it's more of a security feature.

WGI is a large conglomerate company. They own subsidiary companies that manufacture some of the stuff that they market. Their primary business is outdoor gear...game cams, hunting clothing, and they even aquired Barnett crossbows (which actually turned out to be a good thing for Barnett's brand).

I'm pretty sure that they don't make detectors, but probably contract the work out with certain basic features spec'd. The fact that no specs are published should send up red flags.

Actually all the specs are posted on their website groundefx. Com and on the Optics Planet Site. I was just wondering if anyone had used one yet. I found out today from wgi that they won't be available until July so I just answered my own question. The detectors are branded under the Ground EFX name. I'm very interested in a test as they look a lot better than the rinky dink entry level Swarm mx100 and 200.

Actually all the specs are posted on their website groundefx. Com and on the Optics Planet Site.
What frequency does it run? How much does it weigh? What's the Ground Balance arrangement? What are the various adjustment ranges?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Really, it probably isn't a bad detector, but there are features that I'd want before a GPS that it doesn't have.

Here are the specs, although it dosent go into deep detail yet as to ground balancing and such. The list price of the MX400 (best one) is $399 but Optics Planet has it ready to go at $359 when it arrives. Since I'm new I don't think I'm allowed to post a link but simply go to www.groundefx.com to see the full line and a picture. The double D submersible coil caught my eye. The MX 300 ($299) is the exact same unit without the color LCD screen. It has a standard black and gray LCD screen. I'm curious. I wonder what kind of technology awaits with these new ones.

Xterra Series™ - MX400 with Color Touch Screen

Features
■Durable lightweight poly carbonate construction
■New Color Touch Screen Technology with video tutorials pre installed
■Large simple to use digital color touch interface with 2 digit identification
■Option of Tech or Traditional touch interfaces
■GEO-X™ GPS Technology allows saving and locating up to 10 locations
■8 metal categories and adjustable discrimination (00-99)
■4 elimination modes: All-Metal, Coin, Jewelry and Custom
■4 individual HD audio tones
■Trigger activated PinPoint
■Built in LED light
■Signal strength and depth indicators in PinPoint mode
■Quick release extension rod design, adds up to 7”
■Adjustable arm guard strap
■External 3.5mm headphone jack (headphones not included)
■Can detect quarter sized coins up to 11” away
■11” submersible Double D coil
■Right or Left handed use
■Uses 6 AA-Cell Alkaline batteries (not included)

I'm not very happy that they don't bother to put the country of origin on the page anywhere, or the fact that they use a deceptively similar name for the Xterra series (similar to Minelabs X-Terra series).

Sorry, I wouldn't buy one. I don't know enough about the manufacturer.

-- Tom

Hi Tom,

Since it's farmed out by the company I'd say China hands down. Wonder if they'll send me a demo unit to review and return? It's always nice to know how all brands perform.

S

You never want to be the first one on your block to own a NEW metal detector.
The most hilarious part is how the MX200 is $200, the MX300 is $300 and the MX400 is $400:lol::laughing:

You never want to be the first one on your block to own a NEW metal detector.
The most hilarious part is how the MX200 is $200, the MX300 is $300 and the MX400 is $400:lol::laughing:

I *MAY* spring for an MX5, but nothing more than that. Certainly not an MX9000! :)

-- Tom

Thank you to everyone for the input. Today I pulled the trigger on a Bounty Hunter Platinum instead. Still would be curious how the WGI series performs. I'm sure by the end of summer someone will have an opinion. - Scott

Thank you to everyone for the input. Today I pulled the trigger on a Bounty Hunter Platinum instead. Still would be curious how the WGI series performs. I'm sure by the end of summer someone will have an opinion. - Scott

Probably not a very informed opinion however. No veteran member of this forum would buy one, I'd almost bet on that...lol

So am I the only one in the entire forum with a MX100? I know it is cheap but for me deciding if I'd like the hobby or not it seems to be doing its job. I have never used any other machine to compare it to but maybe next year I will.

As much as I like the show, I'd be real sketchy about any company that manufactures a Si Robertson model metal detector!

I mean, really?

I am still a newbie but used the mx100 for 3 months and now upgraded to the Fisher f2 so I can do a comparison between the 2.

The mx100 has a couple feature the f2 didn't have that I liked. It have a depth as you swept over a target and then again when you pinpointed it. The depths were always accurate. Also the target id was spot on ever time.

The F2 definitely is a better machine that finds way more coins deeper and the vdi is a great feature. The F2 also has better target separation than the mx100 has which is great in congested areas. Also the F2 is way lighter than the mx100 which is great on long hunts.

All in all for a person to see if they like the hobby or a young kid I feel for 100 bucks the mx100 did it's job and more than I expected for the money.

Hello,man,take a look at the comments people gave to the TC1X on the kellyco website, you will know how the WGI product performs.

Hello,man,take a look at the comments people gave to the TC1X on the kellyco website, you will know how the WGI product performs.

jjzhang, when you registered, you received an email confirmation which asked you to make an introductory post telling us about yourself. You haven't done that and, since you live in China and only seem to be making posts extolling the virtues of these Chinese made machines, could you tell us what your association is with the manufacturer of these units?

I asked you this before in another similar post you made earlier and to which you have not responded.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=1833607&postcount=14

jjzhang, when you registered, you received an email confirmation which asked you to make an introductory post telling us about yourself. You haven't done that and, since you live in China and only seem to be making posts extolling the virtues of these Chinese made machines, could you tell us what your association is with the manufacturer of these units?

I asked you this before in another similar post you made earlier and to which you have not responded.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=1833607&postcount=14

Got to support the home team....

Back
Top Bottom