SS diggers

RAYAR

Spent several evenings after work fabricating these SS diggers. The small one has a 7-1/2" long blade, 2-1/8" wide and a total length of 12-1/4". The two hander has a 10-1/4" long blade, 3-3/8" wide and a total length of 28-3/8". Just basically used what I could scrounge up. The blades are of 12 guage and the handles are of 16 guage material. As far as weight goes, I'd have to weigh them, but they're not that bad. I curved the blades on my hydraulic press that I just recently bought. It took about 2-1/4 tons of pressure to curve the blade on the hand digger and about 3 tons pressure to curve the blade on the larger one. The curves were done in multiple presses to get the desired shape. The handle on the large digger is slightly angled. Have tried them both and they're awesome tools to use. Just have to make sheaths for them now. Those teeth actually work quite well too. I'm thinking I could use the two hander as an axe.

Attachments

• IMG_3317-70.jpg
    IMG_3317-70.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_3318-70.jpg
    IMG_3318-70.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_3320-69.jpg
    IMG_3320-69.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 460
very nice work........whats the weight of the 28" shovel

The shovel weighs right around the 3 lb mark and the hand digger is under a lb. That's as close as I can get for now.
Likely won't be making any to sell as there is a lot of time spent making them. Also depends on what and when I can scrounge for scraps.

Used a metal cutting chop saw free hand and fine tuned them with my dremel where needed. The teeth are angled slightly upwards to cut on the pull stroke. The saw edge is left at the blades thickness, not ground to a beveled edge.

Ray

Thanks boretti4blues.
Just picked up an AT-Pro yesterday (used) and it came with the Edge Digger. I compared it to my SS digger and it's practically identical in size. The main differences are that the ED has a creased blade and is beveled on the back side. Its' handle also has more offset from the blade and it weighs about 2 oz more. Of course the teeth are very different also.

Back
Top Bottom