Outhouse still standing

bolo1010

Hey yall,

Its a nice day today in south arkansas so i decided to scout some wooded areas across from my grandpas that i use to roam when i was a kid. Im new to the hobby and my Ace 250 should be in the mail next week so right now im researching and scouting.

I hit the woods with my 10 yr old niece and their chocolate lab searching for an old well that I found a long time ago when I was a kid. I knew the general area it is and I looked and looked and cannot find it anywhere!!! I did find a mound of dirt that had a big metal round thing that looked like it would have been the foundation of the well. Some of that area was cleared about 20 years ago and what im thinking is some pushed that mound of dirt over the well to keep the roaming kids from falling in.

I searched a little more and found some old red brick and some glass around a big tree. My niece then found an old glass pine-sol bottle barely sticking out of the ground close to that spot so i looked a little more.

Walked about 20 yards and seen the outhouse...the dog had already found it.. so i walked over and took some pics..

The outhouse door is facing north and about 20 yards west of it there where a road use to run through going north and south that i found on the sanborn maps..

I cant wait for my Ace 250 to get in so can start hunting this place!! Any tips of where i should start??? Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• PP4.JPG
    PP4.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 364
  • pp3.JPG
    pp3.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 342
  • pp2.JPG
    pp2.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 346
  • PP1.JPG
    PP1.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 350
Where to search

All around the well and outhouse. Sounds like you have a cabin, since you didn't mention any cellar hole. Start there since both would have been use daily.

Most houses in this area have no cellars so maybe there just wasnt one? Or maybe i just overlooked it. I'll do a little more searching the woods next week. Niece couldnt handle all the stickers.. lol

Except for the obvious idea of starting at the doorway to the outhouse and working your way out, don't really have any thoughts on how to hunt the site without knowing where the house was. I have to tell you how impressed I was, though, that you were able to teach the dog how to use the outhouse! Curt

From my search today I couldnt really tell where the house might be located but I was also kinda limited on time so i didnt get to search as good as i wanted. When I get back out there I'll do a more thorough search.

Another interesting thing i found next to the old road/trail/passageway there was a round depression in the ground about 5 or 6 feet across and maybe about a foot deep. Ive read to keep an eye out for depressions next to old passageways like this. Any idea of what this might be?

As for the dog.... i was impressed myself until i seen he missed the hole... lol

Yep, I would work around it and make my way out.. not to mention, if you REALLY wanted to be ambitious, you could re-dig the actual hole, folks use to throw away alot of items into the actual hole.. its all dirt now anyways.. we did one on our property in nebraska and found not only pocketwatches, but flatware, buttons, 1 coin and over/under shotgun

Outhouse

Hey that is the type of site I love. HAS to be a cabin or something there. Never seen an outhouse in the middle of nowhere. I many times find the best stuff 50-100 feet from a cellar hole anyway. Just start from the door and swing 100-150" in front and then in all directions.

Tim

Thanks for the info guys. I went back to this spot today and this time i brought my grandpa who is the one that got me started on this hobby and helped me purchase my detector(which seems like taking forever to get here).

We did a little better search and found flowers and old foundation bricks not far from the outhouse so i think we got a good idea of where the house was.

Theres also another old foundation in those woods and my grandpa remembers the guy that lived in the house and said he was the type that didnt trust banks and was a hermit type. He recalled seeing this man a few times and said he always carried a satchel type thing filled with money when he headed to town. He passed away a long while ago and me and my grandpa figure he got some money buried out around his house so I'll be hunting the old fence line and things as well hoping to find some cache treasure.

Im getting really excited about these sites!! Hopefully they wont be a let down..

Back
Top Bottom