Best detector for the money HELP!

Wichkans

Hello ALL, I am very new to the MD hobby, so new I don't have a detector yet.

If I had $450 to spend what detector do you think would be the best for coin shooting, jewelry and relic hunting.

Thanks

Hello ALL, I am very new to the MD hobby, so new I don't have a detector yet.

If I had $450 to spend what detector do you think would be the best for coin shooting, jewelry and relic hunting.

Thanks

I would call one of the sponsors (the ever-so-changing url links at the upper right corner... i.e. Hollands Brook, Big Boys Hobbies, KellyCo, New England Detectors, etc). I hear LOTS of good things when it comes to Big Boys Hobbies, when it comes down to it. Anyways, that is what "I" would do. As for me, I still consider myself "NEW". I personally don't "Relic hunt", but just recently found out that you need a MD'r that has High Freq, say like a 12kHz or there abouts and prefer Manual Ground Balance. I will let the more experienced guys chime in on that one. One of the biggest things to consider that MANY do NOT take into consideration is: 1) do I want a dig and beep machine or 2) do I want a machine that has a VDI and/or visual display screen (i.e. something like... for EXAMPLE, a Garrett AT Pro vs a Tesoro)??? Anyways, food for thought... HH \_ with whatever you decide to get.

At pro is hands down the best value for any detector in any price category. It has a lot of features for the price much more than machines costing much more.

If I had to start out again, but with a budget of $500, and knowing what I do now...I'd look for a used Teknetics T2, which can be had for $400-450. It's a proven relic hunter, and works great for silver and old coins as well.

I have used the AT Pro for 9 months. It is light, waterproof, and it has a fast recovery speed.

Once I figured how to use it, I began finding silver coins, old coins, and now, I began finding gold.

Sure there are many good machines out there but for the money, you can't beat the Pro.

Oh yeah, and you can hunt the lakes around here with it this very Summer! :D

If you can find a used Minelab X-terra 705 around that price then thats what I would recommend. I have used the AT Pro and its a good detector but for land hunting it does not have the features or accurate ID depth as the X-terra 705 in my experience with it. If I wanted to submerge my detector then the AT Pro would be my choice for the money. Good luck with whatever you choose.

But you only have 2 ???? Just curious about the magnet part !!
Hmm, maybe it isn't a magnet, yes it is a magnet, no its not a magnet, wait a minute let me think.................. what was it we were talking about :laughing:

Attachments

• hank.jpeg
    hank.jpeg
    11.2 KB · Views: 528
If you have to have new and you wanted to spend all your $450 on the detector only, then the Tesoro Vaquero would not be an unwise choice. The AT Pro seems to be well liked although I did not care for mine but it's out of your price range unless you go used. So some of that advice is not accurate, at least price-wise. If you can up your budget and really wanted those features offered by the AT Pro then you may also consider the Whites M6 as well as some of the Fisher and Teknetics offerings. There are plenty of good used detectors to be had on the classifieds. Sometimes that detector you really want that is just out of your price range suddenly becomes affordable in used condition.

You say you are new, so I have to ask what have you budgeted for a recovery tool? How about a pin pointer? You can cheap on some of these items to begin with but they all cost money. Do you want a Lesche digger or are you ok with a Fiskar or Ames? How about a finds pouch? A pin pointer is not absolutely necessary but it improves recovery times.

A lower priced detector, let's say a Tesoro Silver umax, Garrett Ace 250 or Fisher F2 for examples, will do an honest job of finding targets for you and leave you money left for accessories.

Have you had any experience with metal detecting? Thats a lot of money to spend if you haven't. There are cheaper starter (?) models for half that, like the Garrett Ace 250 and the Fisher F2. Both are good detectors with many good finds reported. It would allow you to find out if metal detecting is for you and also allow some for other things you might need like a digger, head phones, and possibly a pin pointer. There are several forum members here in the Wichita area and all would be glad to help you get started and give you advice about detecting. If you have any questions just send us a PM and we'll try to answer them. It's a great hobby if you stick with it.

I would get an Xterra 305 if I had a $450 budget, get an $18 harbor freight pinpointer until you can get a Garret ProPointer.

Watch some videos.

get the tesoro compadre...160.00 it WILL find everything you listed..take the rest of the money and build for the upgrade..I find most people get the expensive machine first...spend the first 6 months finding pulltabs/bottle caps and can slaw...then the expensive machine becomes an expensive machine in the closet..

HH

Check out North Georgia Relics (one of the forum sponsors). They have a used detector section that has some REALLY good units for a lot less than new.

I've dealt with the owner Don for a while now. He goes above and beyond with the condition and pics, so you know exactly what to expect.

Great store and great units to boot!

Have you had any experience with metal detecting? Thats a lot of money to spend if you haven't. There are cheaper starter (?) models for half that, like the Garrett Ace 250 and the Fisher F2. Both are good detectors with many good finds reported. It would allow you to find out if metal detecting is for you and also allow some for other things you might need like a digger, head phones, and possibly a pin pointer. There are several forum members here in the Wichita area and all would be glad to help you get started and give you advice about detecting. If you have any questions just send us a PM and we'll try to answer them. It's a great hobby if you stick with it.

Silversmith45, there you go being all reasonable and right again! :lol:

Remember the lady detector we met at Riverside that one evening? She bought a White's V3i as her first detector ever. I wish she would have kept in touch so I could have help her with it.

Silversmith45, there you go being all reasonable and right again! :lol:

Remember the lady detector we met at Riverside that one evening? She bought a White's V3i as her first detector ever. I wish she would have kept in touch so I could have help her with it.

I believe her name was Robin and was a police officer. I haven't seen her around anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom