Just dumbfounded about this penny!!!!!! Please help.

DonVitoD

Found this smooth almost seems acryliced or plastic over coin. Didn't really think about til I was going through my finds. I can definately see the impression of Abe on it. It's a little smaller than a penny though. I don't know, should I try to peel off the plastic or acrylic? It also appears to be a wheat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 627
Pic of the penny next to a real penny? Weird find... I wouldn't try peeling the plastic off.

I don't think it was shrunk, it was found at an old site not far from another wheat. Do you think it could be some sort of error during minting process?

I would peel off the plastic. There can't be much to lose and more to learn. Its an odd "coin", for sure.

Here's a real stab in the dark, but like ScubaDetector said, I'd guess it was a "penny" from a girl's old pair of penny loafers. Sometimes they'd stick real pennies in them, but I bet some were manufactured with a "real" penny included. How old were the other coins from the site?

I guess it just depends on how curious you are. I would probably leave it that way and show it to some folks in coin shops etc. just as a novelty if nothing else. I'm thinking jewelry item of some sort.

It's definately metal, and enclosed all around. Coins at this site have ranged from mostly the the 40s, but I have gotten some deeper ones that are from the teens and 20s. It's thin, as someone cut the outer edge off.

Back
Top Bottom