F70 settings? Etc

AZWIP

Elite Member
Howdy folks, so, having recently acquired a pretty much new Fisher F70 with the F75 11 DD Coil... have a few questions from the pros about the settings... have read the owners manual, and am a wee bit confused...

I am mostly a jewelry hunter, in parks... and have mostly used Tesoros... and really enjoy same...

SO, being a rookie with the F70, currently I seem to favor (really early on though, hence the questions, lol)...

In disc mode:

Speed - DE
Threshold - (-3)
Disc - 10
Notch - 1
Tones - I dunno, maybe 2F or DP???

Takes some getting used to, buts its early on for me and this machine...

I am a bit confused about the Notch and the Disc... I really just want something similar to what I run with say the Vaquero... I hunt with Disc set to almost MIN, so about small iron...

for the F70, if I set Disc to 10, or say 15.... then leave the Notch at "1"... because you can't go lower.... does one override the other???? I'm confused...

Should I just set Disc to "1" and set Notch to Iron???

Do I set both to Iron - So, Disc at 15 and Notch at iron?

Hows that work with the F70?

Also, you see my current settings... should I set anything differently to try and run as my Vaq etc?

One of the things I really enjoy about the Tesoros (again, am mainly a jewelry hunter for the ever elusive gold), is I can pretty much "size" up an object... real quick... I can tell pretty much by the Hit, what the size is etc...

The Fisher, and again, have only used it for a few hours, seems "stranger", lol, but in all fairness, I should really reserve any comments until I have many more hours under my belt with same.

So, anyways, any comments or suggestions about using the F70 as mainly a Jewelry hunter? I know there are tons of threads geared towards the COin hunters etc... but didn't see a whole lot about us Park gold jewelry hunters, lol.

Goal is to have the F70 run quiet and deep... so far, its seems a wee bit on the chatty side... lol.... not too bad with the settings I mention above...

Also, can someone give a bot more info about the Tones and their benefits or negatives? Not quite sure I get it yet... there are many to choose from and the manual does give some info, but reckon I'm a little dince on same, lol.

Thanks folks, advice etc, welcomed.

Ron

I think you will do well without touching notch at all and just using discrimination. But let's see if I can explain how notch works.

Notch on these is a little tricky to explain.

A notch of 1 on these usually means 'no notch'.
After a factory reset it will set the notch number on 1, but the number there really doesn't mean anything until you hit the menu button to set a notch or to remove a notch.

Funny thing is the menu button is also the only way to get past the notch mode and back to the other modes.

So it seems to actually apply a notch, you have to hit one of the 'arrow' buttons first while in notch mode and then hit the menu button. Then you will still be in notch mode to either use the arrow buttons and set another notch or hit the menu button again to get to the next mode.

Whenever the notch number is anywhere within one of the notch ranges, after you hit the menu button it will set a notch to either 'notch out' or "notch in" that range.

The "notch in" or "notch out" depends on the discrimination level.
If you set discrimination to 0 before messing with notch, it will always "notch out" the selected range. (You wont hear/see it)

If discrimination was higher than the range you notch, then it will "notch (back) in" that range. (You will hear/see it, like notching '5c' back in with max discrimination)

If discrimination level is half in the notch range, half will be "notched in" and the other half "notched out". This seems a bit strange and no use to me.

Say if you had iron notched and had discrimination on 5.
Anything up to 5 would be "notched in" and would hear/see.
Anything from 5 up to 15 would be "notched out".

I don't have all the ranges memorized, so I just look on top of the display and it will show you which range you are in as you raise the numbers with the arrow button: iron, foil, 5c, tab, etc.
After the notch is set it will show a slash through the name up top afterward.
(It is easier to see if it is set for sure after you are no longer in the notch mode)

If you want to remove the notch, set the notch number anywhere within that range again and hit the menu button. The slash will be removed from the name up top.
(Just remember if the notch number was already in that range from the last time setting the notch, you will have to hit an arrow button first to have it 'see' the setting)

Clear as mud.

Thanks

Thanks for the detailed write up Tip, I appreciate it. I'll give that a shot, and yeah, probably will leave the notch off, as disc will give me what I want.

Also good idea about Digger27... I may indeed solicit his advice... I used it again for a few more hours... and that is one chatty machine so far, as compared to my Tesoros.... gotta be the settings somehow I hope... very noisy right now though... must be missing something...

so, so far, with the Tesoro's, when they beep, there is something there, lol, this one, so far, beeps and blats all over the place... again, probably just don't have it set up best yet. Or, maybe its just how the 70 works... dunno yet. But, so far, for me anyways... hope I can quiet it down some without losing depth.... reckon I'll see. Will probably head out again for another hour or two tonight or in the morning...

Have been playing with the tones... interesting... but again, noisy. :yes:

Thanks again folks, and again appreciate the advice etc.

Ron

Thanks for the detailed write up Tip, I appreciate it. I'll give that a shot, and yeah, probably will leave the notch off, as disc will give me what I want.

Also good idea about Digger27... I may indeed solicit his advice... I used it again for a few more hours... and that is one chatty machine so far, as compared to my Tesoros.... gotta be the settings somehow I hope... very noisy right now though... must be missing something...

so, so far, with the Tesoro's, when they beep, there is something there, lol, this one, so far, beeps and blats all over the place... again, probably just don't have it set up best yet. Or, maybe its just how the 70 works... dunno yet. But, so far, for me anyways... hope I can quiet it down some without losing depth.... reckon I'll see. Will probably head out again for another hour or two tonight or in the morning...

Have been playing with the tones... interesting... but again, noisy. :yes:

Thanks again folks, and again appreciate the advice etc.

Ron

Ron, you have no idea what this thing is capable of, the great settings that are available for any site and conditions you can think of that really work, or actually how quiet you can get it while still finding everything you aim forr including deep targets...and I am talking scary deep.
Jaw dropping is not a term I use loosely, but there are no other words to describe what this thing can do and find.
I also have hundreds of hours in using Tesoros and everything I learned made me a better hunter with the Fishers.
Your prior experience will serve you well.
I did not have a clue about this thing when I got mine the day after Thanksgiving last year and I still found tiny silver on my first hunt, one of my best gold rings on my third hunt and I learned a ton since then.
Here is a log I started the day I got mine, lots of info here but I need to update it because I learned volumes more about settings since my last post.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=173474

I am going to bed now but tomorrow I can give you tons more info, advice and links to get you up and running.
I did the work this year, you can reap the benefits...and work I did.
I spent a huge amount of downtime this season experimenting, tweaking and digging tons of trash I knew was trash instead of going after just good targets because that is how I learn best.
None of that time was wasted, months later when I finally settled down with some favorite settings and just hunted I made up for all that quickly and still ended up with a better clad, older coin and jewelry year than I thought possible.
Despite those many, many weeks just messing around, and the 2 months I was frozen and snowed out, if you want to know how good this thing is at finding everything and especially jewelry just check out my F70 album.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/album.php?albumid=4213

Maybe about 10 months total hunting time with the F70, not hunting every day because life stuff got in the way, and not really knowing much of anything about settings till many weeks after I got it in my hands, I think I still had a bang up year.

Tomorrow starts the first day of the rest of your jaw dropping life.
Prepare yourself.

Think you just need to lower sensitivity a bit (or quite a bit) until you warm up to it.
No mention of your sensitivity settings.
Can try to find a quiet frequency if it is picking up emi and going crazy just holding it above ground.
Then lower sensitivity until it stops chattering.
Can even try a lower Disc if it happens to quiet it down.
It should be quieter once the coil is moving over ground than when holding it still.
Make sure coil cable is screwed in nice and tight.

2f, or 3 tone if you want to hear low vs high conductors.
Both will give iron tone.
dp noisier until you get used to it, or run it very mild sense.

Interesting

Thanks again Tip, for the suggestions... I'll try a few of these things this morning... and yes, my sensitivity has been set at 80... perhaps too high?

Digger27, thanks and am looking forward to your advice and suggestions as well, and will check out the links you supplied, thanks again!

Yeah, last night, hit the park, and again, pretty chatty... for me, for now... was hard to tell what is a diggable signal and what is trash, seemed like she'd beep on every swing - and this is a pretty hunted out (by me, lol) park... and when I would chase a number of these signals... would find nada... hmmm, more time I reckon. Lol

Thanks guys! Not ready to give up on this machine yet. Lol

Ron

One reason the Fisher F70/75 series detectors seem chatty is because they are extremeley sensitive with a super fast recovery speed. In a trashy park they can hit on the tiniest pieces of metal and foil and sound off like a machine gun with all those beeps and blips. But each beep may actually be a seperate target because the recovery speed on these things is so fast.

Try a factory reset and hunt with those settings for awhile. It will default to 3 tones but I would change that to 3H tones so nickel range is a high tone.
If your machine is still chatty try frequency shifting and see if that helps. If still chatty try reducing sensitivity ( it will default to 60 after the factory reset ). Dont be afraid to reduce that sensitivity. The F70 will still go plenty deep with sense in the 20's and 30's. You can also try reducing threshold.

The F70 is an excellent machine and can be chatty depending on location but it's also very easy to tame it down and still get excellent results.When you swing a 70 over a good solid repeatable target theres no mistaking it, it will let you know loud and clear.

Also I never messed with the notch on my 70. Notch works just the opposite of Disc. As for tones I like the 3H or 4H tones. DP assigns a different tone for each numerical VDI and can be confusing for someone just learning the 70.

Thanks

Thanks WKyfisher, interesting and of course you may be onto something there... it may be that that machine is just pretty darn powerful etc.

Yeah, the whole Notch thing sort of confuses me a bit... not even to mention yet, multi-notch... I played around, got confused between notch and Disc... and did indeed do a reset, lol, seems I tried Disc at 15, then tried to notch Zinc... and uh, don't think I ever achieved it... not sure mind you, but don't think so, lol... so as per ya'lls advice... did a reset and have it now at default again... interesting machine so far.

Ron

Thanks WKyfisher, interesting and of course you may be onto something there... it may be that that machine is just pretty darn powerful etc.

Yeah, the whole Notch thing sort of confuses me a bit... not even to mention yet, multi-notch... I played around, got confused between notch and Disc... and did indeed do a reset, lol, seems I tried Disc at 15, then tried to notch Zinc... and uh, don't think I ever achieved it... not sure mind you, but don't think so, lol... so as per ya'lls advice... did a reset and have it now at default again... interesting machine so far.

Ron

Notching....I sent you a whole thread about this.
Think of it this way.....
Disc set low, all sections you set the notch in higher will be notched out.
Disc set high...set the notching lower and that section will be notched back in.

Unlike the F75 which can notch out half sections, the F70 will only notch out full sections...unless you do that thing that tip said and split the section in half with your disc setting.
I didn't know you can do that.
I can actually think of one use for this feature if this is true.
I want lower tabs in but higher tabs out at some of my trashy parks, or maybe the opposite depending on what kind of tabs are driving me crazy at certain sites.
This way would work, but it could get confusing.
I would also have to set notching for nickel, foil and iron to get them back in because like you I hunt with very little disc for several reasons but mostly because I am always looking for gold.

I found that messing with the notch, turning up the setting up from 1 works, but just lowering the notch back down to one after raising it doesn't always get rid of the notch.
It might not ever get rid of the notch this way but I am not sure about that.
I hunted without hearing any iron grunts or signals with my disc on 4 once after doing this and notching out one section, can't remember which section right now, and then lowering the setting back to 1, and I couldn't figure out why because there were no other slashes up top on the icons.
After a reset everything went back to normal.
If you mess with the notch ALWAYS do a reset after to be sure of your settings I would advise.
I only used that notch feature twice in the 10 months I have swung this thing, the way I hunt I don't really need it except for special circumstances.
I will experiment with that half notch thing now that I know about it, however.

I think there is a bug in the notch on the F70.
For me, every once in a while after notching, or if I mess with the settings a lot, I will get the same as digger said of not hearing any iron grunts but no slashes saying iron notched out. (Even with 0 disc).
I thought I had it figured out and it might have been disc interfering with notch or not turning the notch off correctly, but even today I had it happen.
And I wasn't notching anywhere near iron ranges, but might have since last reset.

Notching iron out and back in seemed to fix it, but best to do a factory reset after finished with notching.

After all the notching talk, I usually only use it late in the day if I don't have much time left. I will either put disc at max and notch in nickels or sometimes go through and notch everything out except iron (and maybe nickels too).
I look for coins, so I use this to quickly go over a new section. More of a preview.

Sometimes leave iron in so I can quickly tell if a high tone squeak is from a large piece of iron, or bottle cap, etc. Can up the disc a little as needed.

Also works well in a super trashy park to pull dimes and quarters out of all the aluminum.

My typical settings are

Disc: 0
Speed: DE
Sensitivity: 85

Threshold: 9
Tones: 3H
Notch: 0

Higher threshold picks up smaller targets and you absolutely lose depth by turning it down.

I don't discriminate anything out because you can pick up the signals that are in between nails.

One of the tests that I did was at a house with a ton of nails.

I had a dime signal in between nails and I switched programs to one that has the same settings with iron discriminated out.

I could not even get the dime to chirp.

I went back to the open program and it was able to hear it clear as day.

Just my .02

Thanks!

Thanks again for the tips folks, yeah, the notching... is uh, goofy (thanks for the info folks regarding same!)... as suggested I had to reset after playing around with it... it was never the same... lol.

I would have thought, set Disc to 15... I "only" want to get rid of small iron... thats what I am used to with the Tesoros, usually set at MIN Disc, or the "I" in Iron, lol.

Buit then I fooled with Notch, tried to Notch out (just as an experiment) Zinc... and don't think I ever got it... as it ended up sounding off on iron all over... the reading was 6, 7 eyc and it would beep etc... and I though Iron was off, nope... did the reset, that fixed that problem... although I'm not sure why the problem occurred... thanks also Digger27, regarding the links and info, very useful! And even though I read a bunch about the Notch... it still seemed funny until I reset, lol. Also, wht does NOTCH remain at 1 and not a Zero? Is it because the Disc is set to 15?

I'll play around a bunch more etc... thanks again, ya'll have been very helpful.

Ron

For notch, 1 is essentially 0. I don't know why, but that's the way it works.
I would imagine that it IS because you have disc to 15.

I set mine to 0 and it stays, but I set discriminate to 0 as well.

I can confuse you even more by telling you that when in discriminate mode, you can discriminate out small iron by adjusting the threshold lower. :laughing:

When I want to discriminate I use the same settings, but I set the threshold to 3

It gets crazier than you think.
If you are facing SSW, and there is a full moon on that night, any notch will only get rid of the odd numbers only in any section.
Well, not really, but you have enough to deal with and learn without messing around with notching.
Like I said, I rarely use it and that is because I hunt like you with minimum disc.
I usually hunt in all metal till all the signals and threshold buzz starts getting to me and then switch to disc for a break if I don't decide to just hunt that way from the start.
I like having the iron signals...they help in figuring out bottle caps and are not fatigueing to listen to in any tone mode for me.

My usual setting on disc is 4 or less, figure out what is right for you.

If you want to set it up like a Tesoro, just raise the disc to 6 or higher.
6 should cut out most tiny nails or make them break up pretty good, or just take any object you want as a benchmark like a hairpin or paperclip for instance, and swing over it while raising the disc till you no longer get a solid tone or until it is gone completely and just hunt.
Unless you are afraid of missing really tiny objects or really thin chains it is not necessary to hunt really low on the disc but many of us do, anyway.
Remember you do get what amounts to a tiny boost in sensitivity under 5 and past 20, so depending on your sense setting this will be the quietest between these numbers on higher sense.

Stay away from the notch stuff until you are more familiar with how to set it and how it works.
You might find that this is one feature you might not ever use.

Yup

Thanks folks, yeah,k I'll stay away from notching for a while, lol, its "different".

So, last night, I was facing North and hunting into the wind and the machine...

Lol, but, enjoyed the hunt last night a wee bit more... settings were around

Disc: 15
Notch: 1 (yup, lol)
Tones: Went and played with both 1 and 2F
Sens: Around 65 worked prettgy well in the park I was in
Thresh : -3 and -4 ran fairly quiet

Man, this is a pretty powerful little machine... came home with a few little items, nice silver Katchina pendant, 2 bling pendants... and found, yup, this bad boy can run fairly deep - and I know, I am at the tip of the iceberg, lol...

It worked me pretty well... but, slowly, lights are coming on, lol... will take time and continued advice from ya'll has been very helpful in getting me up to speed quicker than without thats for sure.

But... lesson learned, leave that notch alone for a while, lol. Am looking forward to the long weekend... see what other things I can continue to learn... thanks folks!

Ron

Hunt with a higher threshold. If it is jumpy turn down the sens and you will get more depth.

I"d say to definitely experiment with the higher threshold settings but you may want to work up to them over time.
Depending on your noise tolerance, concentrating on all the beeps, thinking should I dig or not, can get tiring quickly.
After time with the machine you kind of unconsciously take it all in and the better targets really stand out.

So with milder settings might be easier to tell the good hits to start.

Good point. If you listened to what I listed to your head would explode.

Hunting wide open like I do isn't for everyone.

It's like listening to machine gun with different tones mixed in.

At cellar holes anyway. It's nice in the fields.

Back
Top Bottom