• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

I want to buy a land metal detector

qtdivergirl

I have a White's surf PI detector, but live too far from the beach to metal detect as often as I would like. I would like to start metal detecting in parks and woods. Can anyone suggest a good detector in the $300.00 range?

There are a number

of decent machines that you could try in that price range. If you have no use for the PI you could always trade it for a comparable land machine like a White's MXT, or some other brand. I am in Florida, so I don't know for sure what conditions are like where you are. Someone will step with some good advice....Good luck..Gil

The Fisher F2, 2 coil package falls within your price range. It includes 8" / 4" coils and a fisher pinpointer.

Get something that ground ballences. You will probably end up buying a used one for $300.00. You can usually find very good detectors for around $500.00 used. Keep you eyes open on the Detectors for sale forum here on Friendly. I think there was a CZ5 for $285.00 on the detectors FS forum. That's a heck of a detector for that price. They are heavy though. Good luck & HH Tim

I have a White's surf PI detector, but live too far from the beach to metal detect as often as I would like. I would like to start metal detecting in parks and woods. Can anyone suggest a good detector in the $300.00 range?

I would look for a Fisher F4 or like advised above trade your detector for a comparable detector.

The F4 is light ,has a large dd coil and ground balance. A great detector that gets little attention. I have found a lot of stuff with my F4.

unless she can get the 8x5 coil she wont like the stock cause it is REAL nose heavy. Im seeing used 705's in the 400-500 range ..thats her ticket!!

my wife can swing it all day long...light, balanced and stable!!

The Ace 350 would be my choice. And I see you're in the Philly area. If you're on Facebook, come join alot of people around here. Look us up at tri state hunters Inc.

save some more cash

Better machine worth waiting for,several choices that will give you nice result's,an ATPRO,Corte's,705,high end Etrac,F75se,both i run,happy hunting,good luck with your choice,Earl

The reason you don't see concise answers is because $300 is mid-point between the $200 starter detectors and the $400 machines with ground balancing.
Ground balancing tunes the detector the soil at the site you want to hunt and reduces ghost responses from minerals and helps the detector find deeper targets. Nice, but not required.

If you don't already have a Garret ProPointer pinpointer ($127) you definitely should get one for land hunting, locating targets in a hole can be a major pita without a pinpointer and the ProPointer is a standard go-to.

If you need to stay under the $300 total then get a Tesoro Compadre ($160) (this machine has it's own religion), and the ProPointer.

If you can go somewhat over the $300 then a Fisher F2 ($199) or a Garrett Ace 250 ($212). Plus the ProPointer. Watch some youtube videos of the 3 detectors to help decide what looks best to you.

Remember that buying a used detector may or may not have a warranty, Garret allows warranty transfers, Fisher and Tesoro do not. Buying a new Tesoro comes with a lifetime warranty. Navigating used detector choices get's more complicated if you want to make a smart buy, so it's iffy as a beginner.

Good luck!

There is a new garret ace 350 on criagslist in the cleveland section for 150 still in box.

Thanks for the information - I think I can stretch it to about $400.00 and I do want to eliminate alot of the background noise too. I don't want to trade in my beach detector - I just want one that I can use on land as well. I will look into the ones you mentioned below, but i do want a new detector, not used. thanks!

The reason you don't see concise answers is because $300 is mid-point between the $200 starter detectors and the $400 machines with ground balancing.
Ground balancing tunes the detector the soil at the site you want to hunt and reduces ghost responses from minerals and helps the detector find deeper targets. Nice, but not required.

If you don't already have a Garret ProPointer pinpointer ($127) you definitely should get one for land hunting, locating targets in a hole can be a major pita without a pinpointer and the ProPointer is a standard go-to.

If you need to stay under the $300 total then get a Tesoro Compadre ($160) (this machine has it's own religion), and the ProPointer.

If you can go somewhat over the $300 then a Fisher F2 ($199) or a Garrett Ace 250 ($212). Plus the ProPointer. Watch some youtube videos of the 3 detectors to help decide what looks best to you.

Remember that buying a used detector may or may not have a warranty, Garret allows warranty transfers, Fisher and Tesoro do not. Buying a new Tesoro comes with a lifetime warranty. Navigating used detector choices get's more complicated if you want to make a smart buy, so it's iffy as a beginner.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom