Looking for general tips on wet beach/stream hunting

HeXp£Øi±

Using a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger(first metal detector).
In a few reviews I read that this thing can be rather difficult on wet beaches. I'm guessing that after I've practiced with the unit enough that I'll be able to use it anywhere effectively but I'm looking for any tips that more experienced users might have on this type of hunting. I am fortunate in that the beaches where I live have not been as populated for as long as other locations around the world so there won't be as much garbage to sift through. Looking for native American relics/gold on beaches. I'll be searching for gold nuggets/veins in the many streams in my area as well. From what I gather sofar learning ground balancing will be especially important at my location(Southeast Alaska).
I have an 8" & 4" coil.

Any advice/tips are greatly appreciated!

Welcome Hex! I too own a BH Land Ranger and it is my first and only detector so far. It kicks butt in the dry sand of salt water beaches and for various land locales, but kinda sucks in wet sand conditions.:no:

Welcome Hex! I too own a BH Land Ranger and it is my first and only detector so far. It kicks butt in the dry sand of salt water beaches and for various land locales, but kinda sucks in wet sand conditions.:no:

What does wet have to do with it? I don't understand why water would make a difference/interfere. Also, concerning the BH Land Hunter, can it(the coil and/or the rest of the unit) handle getting a little wet?

it's the salinity/mineralization of the water that makes the difference.
Most coils are waterproof though. It's just the control housings and plugs you need to keep dry. Electronics are fussy like that.
I use an ACE-250 on the beach just fine. I've learned to tell when it's "lies". Still tend to keep to the dry sand though.
It's all about getting out and having a great time doing it.
Good luck to you.
-TC

What does wet have to do with it? I don't understand why water would make a difference/interfere. Also, concerning the BH Land Hunter, can it(the coil and/or the rest of the unit) handle getting a little wet?

Looks like TC already has this covered, thanks TC!

How do you tune your MD? On sand or beaches, place the coil on the sand and tune it. Set the sound as low as you can, and still hear it. On hard ground tune it about 2" off the surface.
Hope this will help.

Back
Top Bottom