harness buckle..bullets..silver and etc

Dsm_mechva

Forum Supporter
no long story...I went to a site I have permission to hunt which has produced a good bit of civil war relics among other stuff.

I didn't take a picture of all the trash I bagged up but here is what made it to the keepers pouch to be sorted through.

E2E1F5A7-1ACA-4AEB-AFC9-914D7B1AD817_zpsliq4bmy1.jpg

743CF370-4CB6-4C35-BD6C-7EC7AA0F69C8_zps8y3j4pab.jpg

Last edited:
Cool stuff. Haven't been digging myself, but just got permission at a spot across from the Staunton River Battlefield Park. Hope some goodies are there! Good luck hunting!

The buckle has be ID'd (both here and elsewhere) as a Harness Buckle for pulling a wagon or plow.

I knew it was horse related but don't have enough horse related knowledge to have figured that out myself exactly.

I suppose anything is possible but the property has been family owned since right after the civil war and has had no horses, wagons or plows but there were plenty of wagons there during the Civil War... So until further notice I am penciling this one in as a Civil War relic.

I've dug several of those type buckles too. All in an area that saw no CW action. Now I know what they were used for. Makes sense because it was in a field that was used for planting. We have found a few dozen flat buttons and a few large cents in there also. Thanks for the info on the buckles.

It's always possible mine isn't CW but I'm claiming it is to myself anyway. :)

This info was provided to me

"Specifically, it is a "swedge" center-bar harness buckle..

The purpose of the center-bar being backset/offset is to accommodate more than just one leather strap going through it at the same time. Being backset by almost 3/4-inch means your buckle was made to accommodate at least three "layers" of straps passing through it... AND, those straps were very thick (heavy-duty) straps. Reins-straps and bridle-straps are light-duty, not very thick. So, your buckle was made for use on heavy-duty harness, such as wagon-pulling or plow"

Back again today for a bit of trash clearing..did find a few keepers

Plan to keep working in small areas at a time ..slowly and digging just about anything to clear it out just incase something is hiding below.

40 and 45 wheats and a 3 ringer.
1D40203B-F208-4187-852D-B79C0FE01BD0_zpsjb9gircs.jpg

Then off to the much larger wooded area once the wild life settles down a little more.

Yeah that's how yuo're gonna look when I post my flying eagle cent ,Indian cent and seated dimes.:p

Back
Top Bottom